Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Wheel Gloss
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

Hey all, I've read different things about the wheel paint so I'm looking for a definite answer before I sandblast and paint my rims. On a '67 with the LD43 inners and L282 outers, the grey-black is not a full gloss (indicated by the D in the paint code), but the white doesn't have that distinction. Does that mean the white is a full gloss or is it also the 80% gloss that I've seen thrown around for the LD43?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

Every wheel in my collection is 80% gloss.
Don’t think the factory would of mixed gloss percentages, but they always surprise us.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help you, but here's my 66 when I first got it with original factory paint on the wheels.

1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Hey all, I've read different things about the wheel paint so I'm looking for a definite answer before I sandblast and paint my rims. On a '67 with the LD43 inners and L282 outers, the grey-black is not a full gloss (indicated by the D in the paint code), but the white doesn't have that distinction. Does that mean the white is a full gloss or is it also the 80% gloss that I've seen thrown around for the LD43?

I wouldn't hold to the "D" in the code meaning what we think it might mean. There are a couple of threads where people are having arguments about what the different paint codes mean. Here is one I found, offhand: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=153142
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

80%
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I did some more looking at some press photos and such and agree 80% is the ticket for both. That thread Harry Marlin posted has a post that would make sense to me, D meaning dumpf which is dull in German. Planning on having the paint mixed in either RM Uno or Limco.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

The D doesn't always mean dull. My '71 Clementine is paint code L 20 D which is most definitely glossy, not dull or flat!

I am thinking it may be more of a revision letter, and not necessarily sequential:
L 20 B is listed as "brilliant orange" and started in '72.
L 20 D is my "clementine" and started in '70.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Wheel Gloss Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The D doesn't always mean dull. My '71 Clementine is paint code L 20 D which is most definitely glossy, not dull or flat!

I am thinking it may be more of a revision letter, and not necessarily sequential:
L 20 B is listed as "brilliant orange" and started in '72.
L 20 D is my "clementine" and started in '70.
With the letter after the code, I would say that'd be a color variant. At the body shop I work at, we can have a swatch book that has codes in it, say M4152 and have a few variants called M4152B, M4152D, M4152C, etc. Those would be things like more metallic, more of a tint or stuff like that. With the letter before the color code I think that would be a variant of that specific code, like full gloss, semi gloss, or flat. I don't know if that makes sense to you, it make sense in my head.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: