Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Oil Leak
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loretta007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

My otherwise leak free Type 3 Single Port has developed a slight oil seep from the Main Bearing Stud nearest the Flywheel. Is it safe to remove the nut and possibly replace it with one of those self sealing nuts without having to strip the engine
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

As long as you have good access, I don't think it would hurt anything. You might also want to use the white Permatex thread sealant as well.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

If it is one of the face-sealing nuts, there are opinions on this:
- VW tried it but found they tended to dig into the case where they seal, especially if over-torqued.
- The stock washer, thick because it is intended to spread the load, can't be used with the sealing nut, since it defeats its sealing function.
- Some mistake a sealing nut for a nylock nut, which does not seal. These are not the same:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

- Some mistake a sealing nut for a nylock nut, which does not seal. These are not the same:

Good right up and pics phil. However, the teacher in me asks, can you explain / show the difference between a sealing nut and a nylock? Very Happy

I wonder if they have always been called nylock? My dad worked as a civilian during the Korean, and Vietnamese wars at aircraft depots, upgrading various aircraft avionics. He told me that they were developed for aircraft, and were designed so that even if the nut worked loose, it wouldn't fall off causing a catastrophic event. They just called them aircraft nuts.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

On a Nylock, the plastic grips the bolt/stud threads, keeping it from loosening.

On a sealing nut, the plastic is on the face the the nut gets tightened against (in this case the engine block) to form a seal.
Loretta007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

On the subject of self sealing nuts ( not Nylocs ). Are we sure that the sealing face does goes towards the block ? I have seen videos of so called “ VW Expert” engine builders installing them the other way round (YouTube vwdarrin). I suppose the torque loading would be compromised when compressing the rubber if it were to be installed facing the block. Anyway, they are not available here in the U.K.
Loretta007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

YouTube. vwdarrin How to build a stock 1600 vw motor part 2. 9:10.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

Loretta007 wrote:
On the subject of self sealing nuts ( not Nylocs ). Are we sure that the sealing face does goes towards the block ? I have seen videos of so called “ VW Expert” engine builders installing them the other way round (YouTube vwdarrin). I suppose the torque loading would be compromised when compressing the rubber if it were to be installed facing the block. Anyway, they are not available here in the U.K.

They were probably nyloks, not sealing nuts. There is no value to putting a sealing nut on backwards!
Loretta007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

In his videos (vwdarrin) he makes it clear that he uses the red self sealing nuts with silicone under the washers and then the nut with the seal uppermost to prevent oil from seeping up the threads. I can see his point as the correct torque would not be applied when having to squash a rubber seal against the crankcase.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

Post a link? That sounds wrong!
Loretta007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/wTCKMUAWl4o
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

The video is a little too blurry to tell for sure, but those look like nyloks to me.

He is using "sealer" on both the stud threads and the undersides of the washers. This should provide complete, albeit messy sealing, and so the nut is a nylok in order to stay tight, not to seal.

If he was using sealing nuts to seal, he wouldn't have applied sealer, and he would have installed them face down, sans washers. This was recommended for a time, but it was found the hard steel nuts cut into the case without a washer, causing poor torque retention and leaks, and so this practice was discontinued.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Oil Leak Reply with quote

I thought that name sounded familiar - yep, sex offender and should have his youtube page pulled. he's a hack anyways, lots of sealant where you don't need it, etc. watch out who you consider an x-purt Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: