Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What other vehicles do you tinker with?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Been air cooled since 1969, wanted to do something different:

Love these model T's...looks like a fun ride too....
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

61 BUS wrote:
1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe Business Coupe. A bit different than my air cooled VWs.
as a kid, long long ago, we used to run around in a beautiful 48 plymouth coupe special delux. flat head 6. we could put the gokart & 2 kids in the trunk and go to the drive in movies.....those were some fun days.
that car could scare off other cars at the stop light...it needed a muffler and you could pull the choke out some and it sounded like it had a hell of a cam in it. and lots of them were at the dragstrips so you never knew....it was just a stock 6 cyl in it.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

In addition to my '66 Beetle I have a few others. Having no real brand loyalty, I have ended up with a diverse collection of vehicles.

1965 Buick Riviera. My dad bought this 20 years ago when I was in high school for a father/son restoration project. Neither of us really knew what we were doing so there were a number of things that I have redone in the past few years. The rear end has the very first metal work I ever did. I fixed A/C a couple years ago. This summer a cigarette lighter shorted out and caused a wiring fire under the dashboard. Luckily it was in the driveway and I put it out before any real damage was done. I replaced the burnt-up harnesses and cleaned, polished and repainted all the dash and console pieces. I got it all back together just in time a for a couple of drives before putting it away for the winter.

Interior after the wiring/dash redo this summer.

1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. My brother and I inherited this in July from my uncle about a month before he died from cancer. He got it from a junkyard years ago and rebuilt it. I was honored to receive what was definitely his most prized possession. It has a 440/727 auto. Though I would have done some things differently had I built the car, I'll never change it. I temporarily bought my brother out of his half of the car so he could pay off his debts and get back on his feet financially. Once he pays me back, the car is his.

1985 Chevrolet G20 Van.
Impulse buy in 2015. I've always liked this body-style of GM vans. It was rust-free for $2000 from the second owner who bought it in '89. I've done some mechanical and interior work to it here and there, In 2017 I rebuilt the A/C system and converted it to R-134. I had grand plans of traveling around the country in it like I did with my old Astro van a few years prior but that has never materialized. I bought the van with about 150k miles and it's now inching toward 200k on an un-rebuilt engine/trans. I've driven it on a couple 2000 mile trips since owning it. The past couple of years the van mostly sits and the transmission is starting to leak pretty bad, but I just can't bring myself to part with it.

On top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire, 2015.

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. My winter car. Bought in 2016 with 90k. Now at 146k. It's been a great car, mostly needing just normal maintenance stuff. I did have to replace a bad rear wheel bearing a month ago. Ford, in their infinite wisdom, uses the axle shaft as the inner bearing race so it had to be replaced as well. Just put a new set of tires on it this fall. I really like this car and plan on keeping it until it's done.

The only picture I have taken of the Mercury.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

W123 series Mercedes diesels, a rich mans beetle, any average mechanic can work on these the same as a Beetle. Plus they got HEAT, and air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
W123 series Mercedes diesels, a rich mans beetle, any average mechanic can work on these the same as a Beetle. Plus they got HEAT, and air.

Awesome little tanks. I love 'em!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

I tinker with whatever the customers bring me lol too many cars to even think of listing. But I greatly enjoy what I do so I don’t mind tinkering or working on it. I myself tinker on all 8 of my vehicles one of which is my dads big rig which is great because then I can use my SAE tools instead of metric lol. Just tonight I helped my friend tinker on his project car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Like the VW, these silly little British cars are an addiction. Because I just don't have the room to feed another I tried (not too hard) to sell/trade the red Bugeye but it just keeps following me home. I guess I'm meant to keep them all. After 40 years of the British car addiction...er.. I mean hobby I never thought I could love any other and then came the bus Cool

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
dang thats a big boy. sooo, what is it? a boeng? arent those called double deckers or is that only a london bus thing?

That is a Boeing 747. It was cut up and scrapped shortly after this pic was taken. Might be a beer can now😀

It’s a GEX MOTOR

Thats UA livery, isn’t it ? I probably have flown in that one many times

Crying or Very sad
wearymicrobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Buggy is hanging outside the garage due to space issues.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

The wife parked her 1990 Buick Gran Sport after buying a new vehicle in 2005.
The Buick was her first new car.
Sitting out under a car cover for about 10 years did it no favors.
She asked me if I would clean it up for her. Shocked
It cleaned up surprisingly well but everything else had to be sorted. I got a pretty good education on cars with fuel injection and ECU's.
It's a hoot listening to the kids when I take it to Cars n' Coffee telling me their grandparents had a car just like it!

Before

After

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Daily a '91 Volvo 740, but don't tinker much with it. Have a '69 Plymouth Satellite that's done up like a cop car. Needs some engine work but it's super solid for a Mopar. Of course I have other projects to finish before that one gets all of the attention.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

My daily and tow vehicle is a 2002 Tahoe. Just replaced the steel brake lines. And wired a back up light for the trailer. It’s beige and boring.
But, I want a V8 street toy. Something small. Just gotta convince the wife. Lol
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

Always buses and fast cars-strange I know. I had to build one, Factory Five
Bus 0 to 60 8seconds - Cobra 2.5

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Daily a '91 Volvo 740, but don't tinker much with it. Have a '69 Plymouth Satellite that's done up like a cop car. Needs some engine work but it's super solid for a Mopar. Of course I have other projects to finish before that one gets all of the attention.

I knew I liked you. We run 8 Volvo’s in our house, P80 and P2 chassis. I get my T5 high pressure turbo when I need a testosterone boost from driving my New Beetle
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

Cool Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

I've kept my wife and daughters driving Volvos for 30+ years.
I like working on Subaru . But spend most of my wrenching time on boats both mechanical and wiring problems. Commercial and pleasure
I've been pulling wrenches on VWs since 1963
cheers
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

I drive a landrover defender as my daily so I always have something to do if I feel so inclined Wink
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
I drive a landrover defender as my daily so I always have something to do if I feel so inclined Wink

Inclined, nice!

Laughing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

My cousin built one of these. 460 Ford circle track engine, 5 speed stick, overheating, gas guzzling, virtually undrivable monster! Very impressive to see and hear. Had to plan trips out of town by the spacing of the fuel stations, fried his leg on the pipe getting out, repeated ignition failures, had to wear ear plugs to drive it on the highway, wife got so she refused to ride in it. Took 3 trips in it and sold it at a loss.

But, it kept him busy for 8 years! That is worth something! Very Happy

He sounds like a good candidate to get into British sports cars... not? Wink
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: What other vehicles do you tinker with? Reply with quote

[quote="oprn"]
NUTSFORBUSES wrote:

My cousin built one of these. 460 Ford circle track engine, 5 speed stick, overheating, gas guzzling, virtually undrivable monster! Very impressive to see and hear. Had to plan trips out of town by the spacing of the fuel stations, fried his leg on the pipe getting out, repeated ignition failures, had to wear ear plugs to drive it on the highway, wife got so she refused to ride in it. Took 3 trips in it and sold it at a loss.

But, it kept him busy for 8 years! That is worth something! Very Happy

He sounds like a good candidate to get into British sports cars... not? Wink

You don't need huge HP in one of these, less allows you to "hook-up" better and faster. this gets pretty good mileage and has a "special" modded frame for racing. Slot car really. The right combo's make them breath taking. The Britt's made a hell of a design & FF5 made it road worthy.. I beat-up a 454 monster w 600HP w my 350hp, so it's how you do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: