Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

Looking at my early 67 convertible, there is nothing over the door hinges - not a cap or plug. What should be there, and what color (transparent or black, if plastic) - and does anyone have a picture? My parts guide suggests the following, which, as you may see, suggests, for mine (and any from 1/59 - 12/66), there should be one Cap - where would that be?).

113 831 433 Cap nut — Hinge pin 111 831 423/A/B, up to Chassis No. 2 149 709 (1)

111 831 433 A Cap — Hinge pin 111 831 423 C/D/E, from Chassis No. 2 149 710 up to 117 999 000 (1) [HPM: Note, I can't find this part!]

311 831 439 A Plug — Door hinge
from Chassis No. 117 496 034 up to 117 999 000 (3)
from Chaisis No. 118 000 001 (4)
1/67 - 043 grey-black
1/67 - 908 transparent

Thoughts?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

Early 67's (up to 12/66 by your chart) had the same hinges as earlier cars, that is a flat top hinge pin you lubricated through a slot in the top finger like this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They look the same as 66 and earlier

Late 67-> up VW went to a shorter hinge pin leaving a recess in top covered by a clear plastic cap

The early clear caps deteriorated quickly, turning yellow and will typically crumble when you removed them.

Not sure when they changed but later cars had black caps that stood up better to UV rays.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited by 61SNRF on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Early 67's (up to 12/66 by your chart) had the same hinges as earlier cars, that is a flat top hinge pin you lubricated through a slot in the top finger

So, because they were flat, the early 67s (and earlier cars) did not have any hinge cover? When a passenger side mirror was added, was the hinge changed out, then?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

The hinge was changed out for one with threads if the car wasn't fitted with one with the threaded one. I've done it once, I had to hire a VW hinge pin removal tool to do it.

Thanks for the part numbers harrymarlin. Does your bug have the thread sticking out for an accessory mirror, or no thread so it needs a plug?

I have the original cap for my RHD 65 Sedan, pics of it below, I intend on repainting it. I have seen both hinge pins with threads for the accessory mirror, and ones without. For a 1967 convertible I have no idea, but from what you wrote above I would think so. This is the cap, hope it helps, although of no use to you if you need a plug:

fifthcenturycheese wrote:

1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)

Last edited by chimneyfish on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Late model cars came with a black plastic plug on the top of the hinge.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311831439A

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9300156&highlight=#9300156
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
61SNRF wrote:
Early 67's (up to 12/66 by your chart) had the same hinges as earlier cars, that is a flat top hinge pin you lubricated through a slot in the top finger

So, because they were flat, the early 67s (and earlier cars) did not have any hinge cover? When a passenger side mirror was added, was the hinge changed out, then?

Thanks!

On my UK 67 (which came from the factory with only a driver side mirror) all of the other hinges have the little caps as described, whereas the drivers side upper hinge - where the mirror is - has the little slot for oiling.

The caps are designed to be removed for lubrication; you’re meant to put a few drops of engine oil in the top and there’s a recess on the side of the pin for it to seep down and lubricate the hinge. The caps are very important to stop water and other muck getting in.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

I believe this is what I would be looking for for my US spec 67 (NavyGeneral points out the part number on this supports it's a mid year version, but it seems small enough):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2267658

If I had a hinge pin, this:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1565236

NavyGeneral also pointed out that if the top of the hinge is hard, it most likely doesn't need a cover.

Thoughts?
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

You've seen the two examples I've posted above so it's either one or the other.

For best answer post some pics of your hinges in question.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

I finally got a chance to look at my hinges, and it looks like they don't need caps (I'm not sure how I got so confused!). They are as 61SNRF noted, above. Thanks for all of the responses! Now I have some hinge caps I don't need. Wink

cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

For what it’s worth my UK market ‘67 base model (1200) has the hinges with the little plastic caps (and no slot in the hinge itself for oiling) on all but the drivers upper hinge (because the slot is needed there for the threaded pin). My hinges are all original. It shipped with only a single mirror (drivers side) hence no slot on the passenger side upper hinge, nor one of those threaded caps.

The black plastic caps had been painted over on all the other hinges as I’d imagine is quite common, but in reality they are designed to be removed so you can drop some oil on the top of the hinge pin (it is recessed by around 5mm) and then replace the plastic cap.

Last edited by cb1990s on Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
cb1990s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
I finally got a chance to look at my hinges, and it looks like they don't need caps (I'm not sure how I got so confused!). They are as 61SNRF noted, above. Thanks for all of the responses! Now I have some hinge caps I don't need. Wink

That’s what mine looked like - until I poked at the paint and it peeled away to show the plastic cap underneath. However before you anything like that just check that the hinge DOESNT have a slot in it for oiling - if it doesn’t have the slot then it’s got a plastic cap on it and in theory you should remove the paint on top and then you’ll see the little cap that clips in and out for oiling the hinge. It’s your call though - the paint looks nice, and I’m sure spraying at the hinge from both sides with some good penetrating oil will be adequate enough.
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hinge cap, plug, or cap nut? Reply with quote

cb1990s wrote:
However before you anything like that just check that the hinge DOESNT have a slot in it for oiling - if it doesn’t have the slot then it’s got a plastic cap on it and in theory you should remove the paint on top and then you’ll see the little cap that clips in and out for oiling the hinge.

Thanks cb1990s! It looks like all of my hinges have slots, so I guess I don't need the covers/caps I thought I did. I appreciate everyone's information in me getting to this understanding!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: