Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Convertible hole in body?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

Putting on the top for my early 1967 Beetle convertible, the upholsterer noticed there was a hole near the top, but that the top didn't seem to cover it. Talking with Chuck, he said some convertibles had the hole, and some didn't, but they were to attach the trim which goes along the bottom of the top (if the trim was screw on). The "some had them, some didn't" seems a bit strange for a company that built thousands of these every year, so I wanted to see if others had this hole, and if their trim was screwed into it (I know the trim in my picture needs to be trimmed, no pun intended).

Chuck suggests the top needs to be stretched down over the hole, but it really doesn't look to be enough material to stretch. Does anyone have thoughts on how they have handled this?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

I think there is supposed to be a metal snap fitting there, perhaps used to secure the top's boot when the top is folded open?

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I think there is supposed to be a metal snap fitting there, perhaps used to secure the top's boot when it's open?

^^^^^^^
THIS

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

I'm sorry - I should have been more specific. I know the hole in the center of the picture is for the snap. I'm asking about the small hole right next to the existing trim (on the right side of the picture).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

To hold the trim to the body.. hence a hole in the trim.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
To hold the trim to the body.. hence a hole in the trim.

Ha! Yes, that would be the most likely/obvious answer, however I don't see how the top could stretch that far, so I wanted to see if someone could post a picture (or two) verifying the top over that hole. It could be the PO put it in that location, to make things fit.

Thanks, Glenn!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

Define early 67??? Pre or post Sep/Oct VIN 157250033..hence the change Wink

The change... basically means... the change to the rear U channel and a different rear chrome trim....
It also is why Chuck answered some had the holes some didnt. Early trim was heavy chrome and nailed on.. later trim was anodized like the side trim and pinched with screws at the end .

The hole is certainly for the end trim screw retainer.

Chuck is correct....Your top vs trim looks mispositioned. (see below)
Whether early without U channel or later with....the top should be pulled over over the body edge as to not allow introduction of water.. That way the top creates a drip edge.

Here are a few excerpts regarding rear trim change around 1967

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Herrbern wrote:
@Volkswagnut : are you sure this is not the nailed version that was discontinued ? Because my car has the U channel and the chrome molding that is an other version than the nailed one. And the car always had that. What I am sure of is that none of 68 verts have that molding.

Am I 100 % sure.. no.. I wasnt even alive in 67.. Laughing

Yes.. sorry I meant the nailed heavy chrome.

I think the trim was changed to an aluminum anodized version after the U lip was introduced ???

How are the 67 early 68 non nailed strip attached?
Seems like vaguely in my mind on one 67 I owned.. it has screws at the ends ??

In my research I have found information that indicates a change in part number for the molding at the U lip introduction VIN.

Molding rear support.
#151 871 431 to VIN 157 250 032
#151 871 431A from VIN 157 250 033 to VIN 158 469 660

It also indicated it lasted into 1968 production .

Herrbern wrote:
[
Well, this is what I found this evening in my documentation. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, as I had not enough time to properly scan the pages of my official VW book. But as seen on the pictures, the chrome strip for U channel verts exists and you even can see how it is fixed to the car. Like mentioned before, I have never seen a 68 with this molding and I suspect VW only equipped a few of 67 verts with this chrome strip for U channels. Like mine, on the pictures of the L41 vert you see that the strip is very narrow compared to the older chrome strips that were nailed in wood.

Barn find...so to speak but mostly original

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the snap position on my Aug 66, 1967 convertible. Hardware and top are factory original.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Volkswagen Club of Nebraska
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

Prime example ^ of the early 1967 pre U channel.. hard chrome nail on trim.. no screws at the end.. Wink

Thanks aircooled.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

The car was the the end of August 1966 according to the Factory Birth Certificate. The top also doesn’t have tension cable, but is stapled on. 🙂

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Prime example ^ of the early 1967 pre U channel.. hard chrome nail on trim.. no screws at the end.. Wink

Great picture - thanks! It sounds like sometime between sept and Nov (which is when, I understand, the bottom trim went away when the u channel was changed), the trim changed from solid/nail to screw? Mine is a mid-Oct 67. Perhaps the screw and solid/nail types of trim were interchanged? Or could my hole be for a nail, and not a screw?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
The car was the the end of August 1966 according to the Factory Birth Certificate. The top also doesn’t have tension cable, but is stapled on. 🙂

Exactly.... technically... its more like a 1965/1966 style. no cable... Wink

harrymarlin wrote:

Great picture - thanks! It sounds like sometime between sept and Nov (which is when, I understand, the bottom trim went away when the u channel was changed), the trim changed from solid/nail to screw? Mine is a mid-Oct 67. Perhaps the screw and solid/nail types of trim were interchanged? Or could my hole be for a nail, and not a screw?

Yes when the U channel was introduced the chrome nailed trim was changed to a pinched anodized trim with screws at the ends..

I doubt the hole is for a nail.. as nails are meant for wood not metal.. Wink

Does your car have the U channel ?? October is a toss up.. early Oct no late Oct yes,

Convertibles VIN numbers and dates sometimes do not coincide ..

Is your VIN pre or post the documented change ?

Its either one of the last no U channel.. or one of the early U channel.
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

aircooled wrote:
Here is a picture of the snap position on my Aug 66, 1967 convertible. Hardware and top are factory original.

Wow - you win, 54 years with same top. The convertible top on my own 1971 VW convertible was installed in 1980 and still OK; I have a garage spot for it to keep it out of the Arizona sun.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

Harry, judging by the original picture you posted in this thread it looks almost as if there isn't enough actual top material to pull down, and towards the front to properly cover the baseline profile and the screw/nail hole in the body. How does the other side look in comparison? Is there excessive material over on the right side? Something just doesn't look right there. I attached a couple pics of my very early production 67 convertible (Aug. '66) showing the two chrome tack strips, including the one above the window which was dropped "mid year" along with the change over to the "U" channel / cable attachment arrangement. My top is not a factory original top as is Aircooled's, I installed it myself back in the late 90's. However, it retains the original chrome strips which did NOT have holes on the ends of the base perimeter tack strips - as yours shows. Mine are exactly as the close up of Aircooled's shows - no screw hole. However, the trim strip above the window has factory screw holes on either end to aid fitment.

I'm sorry I don't have a really close up picture of that area on hand at the moment, as my top is currently down with the boot in place. I'm hoping these pics of my car with top up might be of some reference for you since I think you have an early production model year '67 too?

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible hole in body? Reply with quote

Here is a picture of my factory original top, with the three chrome strips.

Member of 67 Posse
Omaha Volkswagen Club
Neb VVWCA Chapter Rep
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: