Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

I’ve just read through every thread with the word “floorpan” in the title. I’m trying to figure out the best way to go about replacing both pans in my newly acquired ‘73. Obviously I think body off would be the way to go, if for no other reason it would make it easier to clean, rust proof and paint the frame/chassis. I have the car stored indoors at my father’s truck repair shop, where I can keep it indefinitely. I have plenty of room to work and to store the body while it is being repaired, and time is not an issue. What are the advantages and disadvantages to body on or off? From what I’ve read in the threads, it seems that aligning the body mount holes is the biggest area of concern with doing it body-off. Is there any other reason I am missing? Which brings the next question, how the heck does one make sure the holes align if it is done body-off? Not sure if I would trust my measuring/trimming skills. It seems like this is a fairly straight forward job, which isn’t as much hard as it would be time consuming. I know plenty of others have done this, I just want to make sure I don’t get in over my head. Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

I'd like to know too, I haven't looked in the Beetle forums for this topic. Have you?
72 Baja
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

I did mine with the body off. The pans pretty much will settle in where they will. I took about every measurement I could think of as an engineer, and at the end of the day there really wasn't much if any adjustment on where the pans sit - it was very obvious. As far as the alignment with the body mount holes - I had to make an adjustment on one of two of the holes in the pans with an angle grinder but really no big deal.

It seems like it would have been a much more difficult job with the body on but I'd be interested to hear from someone that did it that way.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

I have done half pans front and back with the body on multiple times over the years, have never actually done a whole side at once, and I have swapped the entire rolling chassis before. Without a doubt you can do a more complete job with the body off, however it's perfectly doable with the body on. The downside is you may find yourself welding from strange angles, you may or may not be able to properly bolt the pan under the napoleon's hat area in the front. I have cut it off flush and welded it there before. The upside is the project becomes simply fixing the floor, instead of tearing your car apart and all the difficulties that can come with that. It just depends on what you want, I do know the feeling of not wanting to launch into a forever project. I will say you can always start with the body on and if you don't like the way it's going you can still take it apart. Have fun with it whichever way you go.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

Just imagine the potential for "project expansion" with the body off.
You will probable find about a thousand other details that need attention when the chassis is completely exposed.
Have fun! Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

I did my rear pans with the body on to insure alignment. I purchased the "Bug Me Video" Volume #6 Floorpan Repair (1hr 45min).
It's for a Beetle but it works for a Thing. It explains Body On and Body Off techniques, replacing partial or half pan, tools and sealers,
just what I needed. I always try to save as much original metal as possible. And I did it outside.

BugMeVideo.com 800 662 0071

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

i did a full floor replacement on mine by lifting the body a couple of inches

main reason was the lack of space, but all in all the work was smooth and alignement was granted

Last edited by perello on Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Just imagine the potential for "project expansion" with the body off.
You will probable find about a thousand other details that need attention when the chassis is completely exposed.
Have fun! Wink

Yes. It opens up a black hole of possibilities. I guess that’s part of the fun. I might pick up that BugMe video to get a better idea. I’m leaning more towards body-off. We have an overhead chain hoist that I could probably use to raise and lower the body. I was thinking I could maybe use zip screws to loosely attach the pan to the tube, lower the body to check alignment before welding just to make sure it is fit correctly. Which brings me to my next question...do you think the body could be lifted by the rollbar? If I could wrap some straps around it and attach it to a hoist it would be so easy. From what I’ve seen in other posts it may be a factory rollbar. Thanks everyone.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Plan of Attack for Floorpan Replacement - Body Off or On? Reply with quote

It really depends on your intentions with the car. With the body off EVERYTHING is so much easier to service or replace. Rebuilding the front end, replacing brake lines, rebuilding the pedal assembly, cleaning and painting the pan etc is so much easier that removing the 28 bolts becomes well worth it to me. Be prepared to slip down the rabbit hole as seeing everything you want to fix or replace becomes much more evident! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: