Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

So I’ve been trying to remove a rear brake drum from a Thing that has been sitting for a very long time. None of the wheels rotate in the least bit. Here’s what I’ve done so far - I’ve removed the retaining pins, used a drum puller, disconnected hydraulic line, removed the bolt from the wheel cylinder hoping it would allow the shoes to fold inward, tried heating the drum with a cutting torch, tried beating it with a hammer, smacking the shoes with a chisel through the inspection holes....nothing. I don’t know what could possibly be holding it in place. The puller pushes the stub axle inwards toward the transmission so I was wondering, would I risk causing any damage if I were to completely remove the stub axle and (with the wheel on) slowly lower the car with a jack until the weight is on the wheel? I tried doing it with the axle in place and the nut loose, but it did nothing. Other than that I think my only other option is cutting the drum off.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.

If the drive axle is out, the only potential damage from pushing the stub axle right through would be to the wheel bearings, (which you will probably replace anyway) and the snap ring that retains the inner wheel bearing.

If the drums are worn to the point where a ridge has formed inboard of the brake shoes, you might consider snipping off the heads of the brake shoe retaining pins from the backside of the backing plate. With the hard line disconnected and the wheel cylinder retaining bolt removed, you can probably force the drum off, along with the brake shoes and cylinder.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

I assume you have disconnected the parking brake cable as well.

Here is the view inside
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1836718

There is a bar that runs straight across that could be keeping the shoes out as well.

Maybe the drum splines on the stub axle and the drum have severely rusted/welded together. A big punch and hammer to drive that shaft out may be the next step.

Good luck-keep us posted.
FJBLF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

I've done this, BE CAREFUL, it is dangerous. Make sure nothing is on the way of the drum and the puller as they will be released with force. NOTHING should be on the way.

Put as much pressure on the puller as it would take, stand aside and hit the face of the drum with a 5 lb hammer, HARD... the drum and puller with snap out. The combination of tension and shock will brake the rust between the drum and the shoe.

Not sure what year is yours, here you have a video of the rear brake job on mine.

Link

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

If the stub axle is moving in/out relative to the drum, the snag must be between the shoes and the drum. Clip the heads off of the retaining pins, and try again.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

Remove the half axle and drive the stub axle all the way through. Now as others suggest clip or grind the heads off the retainer clips. I would probably at this point just decide there was nothing worth saving there and beat the drum every which of way with a 4# hammer and if that didn't work get out the 8# sledge.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

Maybe drill a hole 1/4-3/8 thru drum diameter where shoe is and use a punch to drive shoe inward, one on both sides, shouldn't hurt drum much people drill rotor and drums all the time
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

Cut the drum in half with a mini grinder and cutoff wheel. Cut it from top to bottom, either fwd or aft of the axle. The piece not attached to the stub axle will fall off and you will have access to bang, pry, torch on the remaining side to unstick the shoe. The drum is trash anyway, along with all of the hardware inside.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen Brake drum...remove stub axle? Reply with quote

So I finally got one of the rear drums off. I removed the stub axle as I had mentioned earlier. I had already unbolted the wheel cylinder so I put a punch inside the mounting hole and beat the snot out of it with a 4lb sledge. After a few wacks the wheel cylinder came loose from the backing plate. Since the axle was out, I could pull the drum downward (shoes were still frozen in the adjusters) bending the mounting tabs on the shoes until eventually everything came apart. Removing the axle definitely made it easier since the drum no longer need to be pulled straight outward. I have one drum left to remove, so hopefully this will work. Thanks for all the suggestions.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: