Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What year Super do you own?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What year of Super Beetle do you own?
21%
 21%  [ 170 ]
20%
 20%  [ 165 ]
22%
 22%  [ 180 ]
23%
 23%  [ 188 ]
2%
 2%  [ 22 ]
1%
 1%  [ 8 ]
1%
 1%  [ 10 ]
1%
 1%  [ 14 ]
5%
 5%  [ 41 ]
Total Votes : 798

shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

AutoMechanic wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my 1973 with a 71 body I’m the 4th owner all of the owners have been mechanics. I’d like to find another 73 body for it so it can have the curved windshield and elephant foot lights in the back
Place a want to buy ad in the samba classifieds. Btw, nice car.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
AutoMechanic wrote:

This is my 1973 with a 71 body I’m the 4th owner all of the owners have been mechanics. I’d like to find another 73 body for it so it can have the curved windshield and elephant foot lights in the back
Place a want to buy ad in the samba classifieds. Btw, nice car.

Good idea My goal is to get it running so I will be able to drive it to a place to have it swapped. And thanks I get a lot of compliments on it I’ve had several offers on it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Here is mine before starting the rebuild. She is a mess under the dirt and tree sap. She sat for about 5 years not running due to a bad ignition switch.

cajun_sun_bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Not sure how we missed this thread, here is "SunI" our 74

#cajunhotrodder on insta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
Here is mine before starting the rebuild. She is a mess under the dirt and tree sap. She sat for about 5 years not running due to a bad ignition switch.

Very nice what year is that one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

It is a 71'. Everything you can think of that could be wrong with it is wrong. Front end bushings gone, Struts are OE, rear bushings gone, missing hardware, electrical hacked and not working, interior is trash, rusted through on the luggage shelf, front end is full of bondo (at least 1/2"), bumper mounts front and rear are stripped out, right rear quarter 3/4" bondo (bad repair, hack job), rear quarter rusted at hack job under the bondo, 3 fenders held on with self tap screws, right door has 1/2" bondo, front glass looks like it was sand blasted, etc...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paulpagerie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

My 74
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Here's my black 72 super, I've had it for 22 years now, it has a 1776 engine, all else is org. it was green, I got a $275 paint job special with clear coat from Peach paint body shop 15 years ago.
Here is my other bug, it's a orange71, I just bought it a couple of months ago.
It also spent a long time under trees and looked a lot like Michael Ambrozik's bug, here's what it look's like after using rubbing compound with a buffer and hand polish on the really cheap and old paint job.

Last edited by lboos on Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
It is a 71'. Everything you can think of that could be wrong with it is wrong. Front end bushings gone, Struts are OE, rear bushings gone, missing hardware, electrical hacked and not working, interior is trash, rusted through on the luggage shelf, front end is full of bondo (at least 1/2"), bumper mounts front and rear are stripped out, right rear quarter 3/4" bondo (bad repair, hack job), rear quarter rusted at hack job under the bondo, 3 fenders held on with self tap screws, right door has 1/2" bondo, front glass looks like it was sand blasted, etc...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha sounds like a big project but that’s cool I hope you get it up and running. Mine is a 73 chassis with a 71 body it’s a mystery for sure. I’m trying to replace the ignition electrical assembly but their is no where to unplug it from the back in mine all the wiring is in like tubing of some sort.
Jhp212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="al[/quote]
[/quote]
I’ve noticed some later Supers have a squared off inlay down by the handle like the above example. Is that after market hood I’m guessing or did some types come that way?

My 71 in the works.
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

I tried to buff it before stripping it down and the paint peeled off. It had a real cheap paint job, I don't thing it was preped correctly.
hlcptr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Here's my 74, an almost all original, at least the important bits, garage find.
Lemons 4 Gigi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

‘71 convertible... Almost done with her resto.

Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

'72. I've owned it basically 26 years, since I was a teenager. Off being painted now.

It means more to me than any other material item I own, by FAR.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jhp212 wrote:

I’ve noticed some later Supers have a squared off inlay down by the handle like the above example...

I believe that is a '75-'79 hood. Also notice the small square-ish bump below the front of the handle.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Some really nice looking cars here lately!

I don't think I ever posted my car to this thread, so here's my '71:

Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

I bought this '79 Super Beetle convertible earlier this year.

I'd been thinking about buying a Beetle for some time. But somehow never got around to searching for one. On the Thursday before July 4th weekend, my wife and I were riding bikes near the beach. And there it was for sale on the side of the road. I crawled underneath and found very little rust. Came back later that day for a test drive and went through the engine. I bought it on the spot.

I don't know what came over me, a wave of teenage memories perhaps. But I'm enjoying the Beetle tremendously.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

A '72 we recently purchased out of the yard of an abandoned house (after a bit of polishing). It was in a barn from '87-2020. A little beaten up but fairly solid and runs very well.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

My 1971; originally clementine orange and bought for $1300 in 1976 from original owner so my mom could have transportation after her vehicle was repossessed. Maaco paint job in Feb. 1978, new convertible top in 1980.

Last day of work before retirement, drove the 1971 Super. I'd driven my 1970 to work the first day, in 1975, but I had not yet resurrected it yet. The brown saddle shoes in the photo were the SAME shoes I wore to work that first day, saved them for my last day (they were in great shape but too small by then, Goodwill got them).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection+1970

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What year Super do you own? Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: