Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

paintwork and the color look stunning!
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Very very nice panel alignment, and nice paint! WOW.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

I’m speechless... Amazing work Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jays58s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Wow, amazing job! I wasn't expecting to see it fully restored, but it looks beautiful!
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Yeah man, body work and paint look killer!

Great work
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Amazing 😍👌
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Wow almost a year since the last update. Shocked
As usually happens with these things, the last 5% takes the same amount of time as the first 95%. One good change was buying a new house with a garage, so finally I can work on the oval without a 45 minutes drive each way. Here it is fresh off the tow trunk...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking back through recent photos there's not much to show for probably >100 hours work. Confused Having never owned an oval or even spent a whole lot of time around them, these last bits are a lot of trial and error, research, and re-doing things. It's been an enjoyable way to spend weekends in isolation though. I kept the original loom in, so it took a while to trace and tag everything...

Got everything wired up, lights on, and the dash all sorted. Amazingly only one mistake. Razz

Running boards finally on. I'm still not happy with the fit / quality of these. They'll do for now but once I'm on the road these are priority for a good quality replacement.

And the last few days I've been getting the RHS door complete. LHS should be a lot quicker now I've done it once. I think I'll wait a while though for my fingers to recover. Shocked I've decided to stick with the "elephant ears" indicators that were on when I bought it. It didn't come with semaphores, but once I'm on the road I'll start the search and replace them.

Once the LHS door is done it's just the rest of the glass to go - I've got the seals and chrome trim on, but at moment we can't have visitors in Melbourne so no helpers for two-person jobs! Should be on the road by summer. A mere 23 years after I bought it Laughing

Please let me know if anything looks weird/wrong. I'm finding the non-mechanical things are not documented as thoroughly as the engine etc.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Beautiful work Cool
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Steady meditation bringing a vision into corporeal existence. I feel calm and balanced having read this thread. Enjoy the remaining journey. Thank you for sharing the results and motivation.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

So smooth and shiny! Must touch!

Very nice! Love the wire loom. That detail, alone, speaks volumes about the energy expended into this car! Nice job and thanks for sharing! It helps those of us still dicking with the damages created by Mother Nature!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

I know it was a few years ago now but who rebuilt your motor? It looks great!
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Mildoval56 wrote:
I know it was a few years ago now but who rebuilt your motor? It looks great!

I originally did the complete strip down and rebuild in 2007. Mick at VW Performance Centre honed the cylinders and cut valves/seats/heads at that point. I then got it mostly complete before it went into storage for 10 years.

Coming out of storage I wasn't 100% sure it was rust free, so took it back to VW Performance centre and they did a once over of the short block+heads and carb. After that I rebuilt the rest of the engine.

VW Performance has also done all the bits I'm not confident enough and/or don't have the kit to do - paint, brakes, upholstery, and getting the body on the pan.
Mildoval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Thanks mate, Cool
nic_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

OK so I realise this has been far from a comprehensive build thread! While I've got over a thousand photos, it's mostly just parts and detail.

But...happy to say that a couple weeks ago I installed seatbelts, fixed my generator (CLEAN YOUR CONTACTS!!), popped the hubcaps on, and realised I was done. It only took 23 years and 25 days. Razz

I've got a log of all my work, which is upwards of 500 hours, and I don't think there was a moment that wasn't enjoyable in this whole process. Some challenges, but always had a blast. Thanks for the initial support way back at the start of this thread, and all my other questions in other threads along the way. No doubt there's plenty more to come Laughing

I didn't go for 100%-must-be-stock, but please point out anything that looks incorrect/could be better/might kill me (and yes, I'm now looking for some semaphores - although the elephant ears are growing on me).

olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Stunning VW 👍👍
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

So nice to see it all together again . . . Awesome work!
You deserve to be 100% proud of your Beetle! Cool
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

A clean 36er is a joy to behold. Good work, congratulations!

Don
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

Well met, great job..now enjoy. Not bad for being down under. Laughing

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

I doesn’t get any better than that.

Stunning.

Enjoy! Cool
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unrestored '56 Oval in bits - what should I do? Reply with quote

And the tedious long journey ends. Your restoration adventure is ideally poised to drive off into the sunset! Cool

Wishing you much driving enjoyment with the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: