Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
This is actually related to Bobby’s question above.

What exact numbers do the lines between 0-1 mean on the tach? 300,600,900? Or 400, 600, 800?

There’s 3, so that makes me think 3.6.9. But the lines line up more around where my mind wants to place 4,6,8 and the other gaps (2k-3k, 3-4K, etc) have 4 markers, assuming on the 200’s?

Or is Mike just overthinking something that doesn’t matter ?

Three lines would be 250, 500, & 750
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ok, counted. There are three between 0 and 1, and then 4 between all the others on mine. That is just obtuse!
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

question, the preinstalation por a second battery in a vanagon, is it parallel or series with the 1st battery?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

andy52 wrote:
question, the preinstalation por a second battery in a vanagon, is it parallel or series with the 1st battery?

Its neither..

You need to have some stuff in between the start battery and a house battery. Stuff to keep their jobs separated, and how each is charged, etc.

-bobby
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

andy52 wrote:

It is in parallel with some form of isolator to keep the batteries separate when the engine is not running.
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
andy52 wrote:

It is in parallel with some form of isolator to keep the batteries separate when the engine is not running.

thats what i thought. but not sure, im a disaster in terms of electricity.
so if I put something to measure the voltage.. should be connected to the auxiliary one, because it would make sense if Im gonna use that one with the fridge when the van is not working.. right?

voltage will show 12V i guess
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

andy52 wrote:

STOP RIGHT NOW.

You want to have a non-burned-up Vanagon, right? GET HELP.
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
andy52 wrote:

STOP RIGHT NOW.

You want to have a non-burned-up Vanagon, right? GET HELP.

second battery has been already installed by an specialized van workshop
that all secure

im just trying to understand how it works, and how to measure its capacity so if i go out.. i dont waste all the energy..

dont worry, I wont touch anything i dont control Smile just asking info!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Oh, whew!

So, if you have a fridge/stove, the little switch will light up the LEDs on the front panel below the stove. There's water level, and electric level indicators (and a little glowy green one for the fridge). If you want to, you can get a volts meter for either of your batteries. I'd recommend getting a portable Volts/Ohms meter, and reading up on how to use one. Pretty inexpensive, and after you get to know how to use it, you'll grab it a lot.

There is a relay that cuts power from the start battery off when the key is off. It is usually in the driver side battery compartment next to the house battery. Like 2" cube thing with some wires.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

How come I can't get my kitchen table leg to slide up/out?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Huh... Guess it was just "pull on it, .. harder" .. Got it out. Now to decide on which mod, inside EMT slide post, or outside PVC retainer. How about Both!!!!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

When the temps drop below 30 - 25 degrees F my doors start sticking to the gaskets and are difficult to open. The slider requires that I get inside to push it open. There's no water freezing between the door and the gasket. I go into the van everyday and this happens consistently.

Is there a recommended lube or treatment to keep the doors from sticking to the gaskets?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
When the temps drop below 30 - 25 degrees F my doors start sticking to the gaskets and are difficult to open. The slider requires that I get inside to push it open. There's no water freezing between the door and the gasket. I go into the van everyday and this happens consistently.

Is there a recommended lube or treatment to keep the doors from sticking to the gaskets?

I have found that taking paraffin and rubbing it on the body contact area helps a lot and lasts a long time. Spraying the body and the gasket with a silicone lube work as well.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

x2

Humidity happens, even below freezing. Wild things nailed it, it's an annual project around here...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
x2

Humidity happens, even below freezing. Wild things nailed it, it's an annual project around here...

- Dave

Thanks to both of you. Typically, this van spends most of it's winter in Seattle where freezing temps are unusual but this year it's spending winter in Idaho where 10 - 30 temps are a daily occurrence.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
10degnorth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'm installing a 2.1l WBXer from a manual van into my van with an auto trans. I noticed when I pulled off my flex plate from the auto engine that it seemed to be part of the rear main seal. Will I be fine swapping the flywheel for the flex plate on the manual engine without replacing the rear main? The engine that is going in has had it done recently, but I'm not sure if pulling the flywheel and replacing it with the flex plate would harm it for some reason.

Thanks!

1988 Microsquirted, Wolfsburg Vanagon (Sold): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708000&highlight=

Microsquirt Conversion Guide (Work now Discontinued): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1laXykNPbRYS8MT...2imqd2pnx7
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

10degnorth wrote:
I'm installing a 2.1l WBXer from a manual van into my van with an auto trans. I noticed when I pulled off my flex plate from the auto engine that it seemed to be part of the rear main seal. Will I be fine swapping the flywheel for the flex plate on the manual engine without replacing the rear main? The engine that is going in has had it done recently, but I'm not sure if pulling the flywheel and replacing it with the flex plate would harm it for some reason.

Thanks!

You want to check the crankshaft endplay as you are potentially altering it. If you need to adjust it, then you are going to be pulling the seal anyway.

Otherwise if it isn't worn there is no strong reason to change it, your choice.
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Fuel tank question--The Bentley says 15.9gal and 2.5gal reserve. That means that the 2.5 is what is left when the needle hist the red, correct? Crazy that I have been driving VW's for 30 years and am just getting around to thinking about this. Probably because I just ran the Vanagon out of gas like a dumbass.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:
Fuel tank question--The Bentley says 15.9gal and 2.5gal reserve. That means that the 2.5 is what is left when the needle hist the red, correct? Crazy that I have been driving VW's for 30 years and am just getting around to thinking about this. Probably because I just ran the Vanagon out of gas like a dumbass.

Yes you "SHOULD" have ~2.5 gallons when the needle is at the top of the reserve.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Jim Bear wrote:

Good question.

I get antsy if needle hits the red zone, especially when on the road far between gas stations. For instance on I40 EB from L.A. I'm looking to refuel at Kingman, and again at Flagstaff.
I calculate gas mileage at every fill up, and reset the trip meter to anticipate the next stop.
My Syncro gets about 16MPG (+/- 260 mi.) in town, and 24MPG (almost 400 mi.) on the highway, depending on road conditions. Steep grades and winds are the major factors affecting mileage.

My Syncro fuel tank holds a nominal 18.4 gallons. I'm not sure "reserve" capacity (if any) is in addition to this.
So far I have never run it dry *knocks wood* but there have been some tense moments.
On those occasions I have pumped well over 19 gallons.

FWIW I have noticed the fuel gage seems non-linear compared with miles traveled. This may be due to the irregular shape of Syncro fuel tank?

As a side note- My Dad used to drive us crazy on family vacations by waiting till the last moment to fill up.
(I don't recall him ever running out of gas.)
Good times...

RIP, Dad.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 108 of 193

Jump to: