Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Bay Owners?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Well since I have plenty of time on my hands I did short walk around of 2 upcoming projects. I'll do a little every week, I have most of the parts. They won't be restored by any sense of the word, just brought back to driver status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxmu34GwcfU&feature=youtu.be
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Jetting question. I'm planning on spending a big part of the summer up in the high country away from the heat of Denver. I'm Jetting dual Weber IDF 40s (28 venturis) on a 2L Type 4 engine. Anyone have any ideas how to best run at 8K ft?

In Denver runs great at:
Idle: 50
main: 120
air: 220
F11 emulsion

Thinking of going with this at 8K ft:
idle: 40
main: 110
air: 240
f11 emulsion

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

^I’d leave it as is.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

OK, the Westy got some love as I had some open time in the shop. It had its ass torn out while sitting in a yard for who knows how long. Luckily I found the missing section that actually went to the Bus in the same yard! I sold the sunroof Bus in the video. I'm getting older and realizing I better pick my battles carefully or turn into "that guy" ( you know, endless projects he is going to get to "someday"). I just got the windshield in ( Dave at Austin auto glass can still get them ) and the doors on. I have most of the Westy interior and drivetrain. It goes on the back burner again as I finish other work.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

All the sheetmetal had to be re-attached, the triangle corners, the side of the hatch, the corners, the engine hangers, the hatch support all came from different donor Bus's. I only had the rear frame rails and torsion housing to start with. I've been using Drill Hog step bits to remove spot welds..better than any other bit I've ever used.

camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Look’n good!

I’ve also been moving in a direction so I don’t turn into “that guy”... good luck!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dnbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

My sons 13 year old sons just picked up (with my help) a 78 bay window for $700. They are devouring this site and their repair manuals as they begin the restoration. We are down in Durango and struggling to find some big heavy parts that can't ship easily. I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone has a lead on finding the parts we need in this region:

Sliding door (it's there, but it's bowed pretty badly)
windshield
rear passenger glass
All the seats except the drivers
bumpers
wheels (bus only had two and was sitting on front axle)

Thanks for the help!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Hey buddy, I’m in Durango too. Not many parts down here, especially late bay parts. I’ve had to do a bit of traveling to get parts I needed for my build. I would start by contacting manfred58sc via PM, he has many posts on this thread. He is in the eastern part of the state but I’m sure he will have many of the parts you need. My time is limited these days with work and family life, but I can offer some help/advice if you’d like.

Good luck
Rich P
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I'm willing to meet 1/2 way in Del Norte. I can say my guilty pleasure road trip is "work" related...ya,ya they'll go for that. I still have lots of Bus sheet metal/structural parts.

Great price on a Bus !!!!
dnbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Rich, I am sure I have seen your bus around town. What do you roll?

Manfred, What on my list do you have?

Sliding door (it's there, but it's bowed pretty badly)
windshield
rear passenger glass
All the seats except the drivers ( looking for as large of passenger capacity as possible)
bumpers
wheels (bus only had two and was sitting on front axle)

I may be in Walsenburg area mid week and could meet up!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

dnbuggy wrote:
Rich, I am sure I have seen your bus around town. What do you roll?

I have a ‘71 Westy, there are links to my threads in my signature line.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Well the Westy got some doors hung, the slider installed, transmission in, engine built and...a tarp for bad weather! about 90% of the welding is done. The new windshield is always a nice step forward on these builds. I was lucky enough to find a new one at the old price and a decent German gasket on evil-bay. It stays on the back burner till I get some customer cars done. Starting to realize I won't be doing many ( if any) more of these revivals, out of parts, out of breath, outta time.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

^Niice!!!!! Is that a ‘71?

Do you still have the Ice Cream bus?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Its a very early 69. It had no beam or ass end when I got it out of Mikes yard. I had a notched 71 beam and the rear trailing arms from a different 71 so it was a good fit. The heavier Westy platform deserves better braking that the disc set-up provides. I have most of the interior ( no sink ) in decent shape. That is actually why this Bus got saved..I needed a Bus to put it into so I could get my storage space back! Still have the ice cream Bus, it just got the windshield area re-welded and new glass. I had to pull the engine and replace with a re-built one. Customer work has pulled me away from my projects ( right now, that's a good thing! If all goes well I'll have time at the end of the month to get back to both of them!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Well it sure was nice to see the Westy with snow on the Bus rather than IN the Bus. Engine is in, floor is seam sealed and painted, roof is attached. It was great to see the engine bolt up to the hangers. We had to re-install all those sections from donor Bus's. You always wonder "Did it measure up OK? ". Its on hiatus again till I find time to go further.

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Floors and package area turned out nice!

camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Looks like it’s coming along nicely!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Yes it is. I have the interior panels, front seats, the Z-bed, closet. headbanger, child's cot, cushions and the rear roof luggage rack. As soon as I get garage time I'll get it running/driving. With limited shop space it really helps when I can drive them around as needed. Right now a KG is kicking my ass with problems. I also need to get my Bus into the shop to swap out a screaming Chinese alternator. I'm starting to look into the externally regulated alternators from late 73-74 Bugs. Everyone pitched them but they are really good units and serviceable.
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

My daughter painted me a picture of our camper for Christmas!

(the bus:)

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Very cool. Tell her I said good job!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 31

Jump to: