Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgeissberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

What gauges have you used to replace the speedo and tach? Photos please!

I have an 87 Syncro and broke my tach and the 2 replacements I got do not work and now the speedo wines (after replacing the cable). I am tired of dealing with this.

I did see someone on the VOG replaced theirs with a speedhut gps speedo and tach and made a new cluster faceplate. Any others out there?

I was wondering if anyone has a digital system that they installed.

Thanks!!
-Dave
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

While I certainly haven't gone digital, I removed the clock and installed an '86 Jetta tach in my last Vanagon - was not difficult to do and the price was right, $10 for the old Jetta cluster from a local wrecker. I did it very 'solid state' by running wires with eyelets right to the circuit board. A little ad-hoc to engineer but worked great and was about as close to a 'bolt-in' as you can get.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

Speedhut for me...
Really happy with the whole setup after some initial tweaking
I made some new inserts for the gauges but wanted to keep the stoxk center light setup

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
Speedhut for me...
I made some new inserts for the gauges but wanted to keep the stoxk center light setup

Never mind the gauges. Where did you get that really nice fawn colored dash cover? I need to get a letter off to Santa stat.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

Valvecovergasket,

My kudos on a VERY nice retrofit of gauges!

The GPS speedometer, what are its limitations?
Satellite based.....
Who pays for the GPS service?
Any concerns in years ahead if the satellite provider goes belly up or the satellite dies?

The engine gauges, do they function off the stock VW sending units?

Does The stock fuel gauge sender work with the gauge?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
valvecovergasket wrote:
Speedhut for me...

Never mind the gauges. Where did you get that really nice fawn colored dash cover? I need to get a letter off to Santa stat.

Duncan

Duncan, bring me your Dash, if you aren't expecting 100% perfection we'll work out a deal for recovering it.
I had a bubble by the sharp curves of the dash tray I never got rid of. But considering how vastly better the dash is overall, that little bubble is but a minor irritation!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

I love the looks and total functionality of the speedhut kit but had never looked at the price before, just did, Shocked

(Moderator edit: $564 plus sending units)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Valvecovergasket,

Satellite based.....

Dave

As I understand it, the US taxpayers paid for the GPS service by putting the 26 (that could be a circa 1995 figure stores in my brain) satellites in orbit. The US govt then made the signal available and control it's accuracy. Back in the olden days they wouldn't allow consumer devices to be closer than 100 - 300 yards for security reasons. Since then consumer devices get pretty close.

I have no idea if mfrs. need to pay a licensing fee that is incorporated as part of the original purchase price but there are plenty of gps devices that are free after the original cost of the product.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Duncan

haha its just the cloth cover GW sells, pretty happy with it and it covers the sorta crusty dash just fine. also allows for the speedhut gps puck to stick to the dash top without standing out as its covered by the cloth

djkeev wrote:
Valvecovergasket,

My kudos on a VERY nice retrofit of gauges!

Satellite based.....
Any concerns in years ahead if the satellite provider goes belly up or the satellite dies?

The engine gauges, do they function off the stock VW sending units?

Does The stock fuel gauge sender work with the gauge?

Dave

hey, thanks!
the satellite speedo is pretty good but definitely has little burbles when you go through tunnels or between some larger buildings. its not the end of the world but sometimes noticeable. it boots up quickly though, so by the time im ready to drive off it has a signal.
no idea on who pays, not me! Smile i hadnt considered it going forward but i assume its the same satellites your phone uses - it needs a lock on quite a few to get accurate speed, so its not just one unit.

the other gauges need their own speedhut specific senders - coolant and oil pressure. easy enough to package though. i used an inline coolant hose splice for the coolant sending off the head outlet on the tdi, theres a few pics in the build thread.

stock van sender for the fuel gauge though, as the speedhut is calibratable for full/empty.
ive written about the fuel gauge in other speedhut threads - they updated the filter constant to reduce noise on this significantly this past year. i sent mine in to get updated, and its been much better. otherwise it would move a bit more under a quarter or so tank than id like, and cause it to show false empty. fuel gauges need significant filtering - especially the odd location of the unit in the vans tank - and its tough to make a one size fits all here.
after the update im finally happy with it though.
also using a decade box to calibrate it is significantly more accurate in my experience that relying on the sender itself.

mikemtnbike wrote:
I love the looks and total functionality of the speedhut kit but had never looked at the price before, just did, Shocked

yeah, their only downside unfortunately Sad

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

OP, what engine do you have in your Syncro? If it's OBDII compliant (a sub, Bostig, 1.8, etc.) you can run any number of gauges that run off the OBDII port and other sensors. Scangauge and Ultragauge are two but there are many bluetooth devices as well.

Here's an Ultrtagauge. Definitely not Speedhut pretty but also not Speedhut spendy...

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

jimf909 - what drives the Ultragauge speedometer? GPS or the ECU (obdii)?
If it's the ECU, I assume that signal comes from the VSS correct?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

Speedhut gauges. So much better.

The OEM gauges suck when you get modern stuff (that is accurate and objective) on board.

kourt
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
jimf909 - what drives the Ultragauge speedometer? GPS or the ECU (obdii)?
If it's the ECU, I assume that signal comes from the VSS correct?

Yes, this is a Bostig and the Ultragauge is hooked up through the OBDII port so the VSS mounted on the driver's side axle would be what drives it.

The sensor can be seen in this photo on the right with the green and black wires running to it (not in the red circle - that's circling the broken tab on the transmission).

Abscate wrote:

izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

dgeissberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
Speedhut for me...

Those look great! Is the tach easy to read even though it is so small and there are no markings to show redline? Is there a shift light and is it easy to set?

I believe it was you that said you are running a TDI. Would the coolant gauge wiring that is stock (stock engine too) operate the temp gauge?

Thanks!
dgeissberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:

I suspect you need OBDII for this or can you run it off of stock? Would a similar setup work if I put a phone or small tablet in place of the dash cluster? Do you need to power it on every time you get in the van?

Thanks!
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

Yes, OBDII. 1.8T conversion. A wifi dongle connects the OBDII port to the iPad and I run an app called OBD Fusion. The dongle and app are less than $30.
Vanagon914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

glow shift
dgeissberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

Vanagon914 wrote:

glow shift

Vanagon914- Was the wiring straight forward? Is coolant temp and fuel one of the smaller gauges? Any problems with these?
Vanagon914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges- What have you replaced the stock gauges with? Reply with quote

still waiting on the fuel gauge. the smaller gauges are voltage, coolant temp, and oil pressure. the coolant temp utilized a radiator hose union with a pipe tap. and the oil pressure used a sandwich adapter under the oil filter. very easy install and comes with instructions. good quality and not to bad price wise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: