Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are the biggest DON'T DO THIS for a Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
depps74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: What are the biggest DON'T DO THIS for a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Recently I drove my van a couple miles while it was overheating. (there is a 12 page thread on this topic) To avoid another stupid mistake I am wondering if there are any other basic, do not do this for a Vanagon? I have a 1990 multivan with automatic trans. that is now running very well despite the trauma I put her though. I just want to avoid any other stupid rookie mistakes.

Please note I am a rookie here.... so no answer to obvious.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Don't reset trip meter while rolling.
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Drive even 100 yards when the red light in the coolant gauge flashes. Key off- then figure out the rest of the plan.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:

And do not stab at the reset button. Push smoothly.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

It is a myth that resetting the trip meter when driving can damage the function of the odometer.

If you examine the way the odometer gears interact and what happens when you reset the trip-meter, there is no possible way for it to additionally stress the odometer when rolling/moving. Pigeon superstition at its finest.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

I think you're going to find that the "Don't Do This" items are common across most every other motor vehicle. Don't drive it while it's overheating, don't drive it if there's no oil in it, don't coast down hills in neutral, don't text while driving... The list goes on and on.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Don't let random friends drive it without explaining the nuances of any old VW (i.e., first gear is where?) and of your particular van.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Draft a Semi. They stop amazingly well. Wink

I have a phobia about buying fuel when the tanker truck is topping off the inground tanks. I'm sure its just in my head.
depps74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
alaskadan wrote:

And do not stab at the reset button. Push smoothly.

ok, just curious why?
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Don't let random friends drive it without explaining the nuances of any old VW (i.e., first gear is where?) and of your particular van.

Shortened for clairty: Don't let friends drive it. Ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tims490
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

RE: Trip meter. Done it. Twice. Was years ago. I forget if the van was rolling or not. Both times it caused the odometer to stop working/spinning. $100 fix. I just don't mess with it anymore. '90 Westy.

Is that the experience of others?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Don't give it a name or talk about it as a Gender. Makes you look crazy. Don't do any Mods that you read about here or any other site until you fully understand how it affects other parts of operation. Don't post general common questions here in the Forums, learn to use the FAQ's 99% of anything you need is in there.

My .02
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Don't give it a name or talk about it as a Gender. Makes you look crazy. Don't do any Mods that you read about here or any other site until you fully understand how it affects other parts of operation. Don't post general common questions here in the Forums, learn to use the FAQ's 99% of anything you need is in there.

My .02
Stacy

I get it, but believe me, sometimes when u are starting, when u just bought the van, when you are trying to restore yourself you NEED help and maybe you dont even know how to ask something properly, or how to call it, or the language is a problem.

this is a huge thing with a lot of information and search mechanisms. But for me its a community above all. And communities always help, based on good intentions.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Basic "Don'ts" -- Let your fuel lines age/rot, use the wrong coolant in a WBX, set your gas cap on your tire when filling up - only to forget it, leave your lights on because it is easy to do...but number one -- don't NOT have a AAA card with 200 mile tow if you travel a lot. Very Happy

...Have fun with it everyday and DON'T take the salty personal opinions/advice of some forum members here too seriously. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

If you have a house / aux battery wired with the GoWesty aux battery kit (or similar wiring method) and you run out your battery (or if you have a low voltage disconnect), your brake lights and hazard lights will no longer function until you have a charge on the aux battery.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Dave, you've already know the most important NoNo and have already demonstrated restraint ...... don't call Dave at midnight! Laughing Laughing

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

tims490 wrote:
RE: Trip meter. Done it. Twice. Was years ago. I forget if the van was rolling or not. Both times it caused the odometer to stop working/spinning. $100 fix. I just don't mess with it anymore. '90 Westy.

Is that the experience of others?
No. I generally remember to reset the trip odometer as I'm pulling onto the roadway. I've pushed the reset button hundreds of times on both vans anywhere between 0 and 70MPH and the odometers still work fine.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

Don't lug the engine, keep the rpm's up when going uphill.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DONT DO THIS for a Vanagon Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I have a phobia about buying fuel when the tanker truck is topping off the inground tanks. I'm sure its just in my head.

That's a good practice, especially if you have a diesel. All the water at the bottom of the tank gets stirred up.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: What are the biggest DON'T DO THIS for a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Don’t buy one if you want to stay sane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: