Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine break-in
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Engine break-in Reply with quote

I asked this question in the early bug thread but was recommended to ask it here:

Just about to start up my 1600 DP and I was wanting some additional advice. For the most part I'm following the break-in procedure from https://www.aircooled.net/vw-engine-break-in-procedure/

After cam break-in(I'll change the oil and adjust the valves cold after) I'm not sure if I should go straight to piston ring break-in or drive it around normal for a 100 miles? I also have a hilly area right next to me for piston ring break-in or I'm wondering if I should tow it to a flat and level road so I can do a couple full throttle pulls to seat the rings?

I'm also wondering if there's a way to statically adjust timing with my Pertronix distributor(SVDA Flamethrower model) before initial start up?

My specs as follows:
1600 dp
CB cheater cam
Valves set to .006 IN and EX
Pertronix flamethrower distibutor
Bosch coil
Pict34 carb
Bugpack exhaust
Maxima 10w30 break-in zinc oil
No thermostat
Stock oil screen
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

Complete the cam burn.
Let it cool overnight
Check/adjust tappets
Drive it hard
Full throttle up hill
No throttle down hill.
Get some varied mileage on it and plenty of heat.

Drop the oil whilst hot. Fill with fresh and drive it how ever you like.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

As far as static time, I would eye ball your rotor as to point to your #1 cap wire. Exact timing on a engine with no load is not so critical. When it fires up go to your 2000 rpm mark let warm up. 5 minutes would be enough then go to 3500 rpm or all advance in to set your timing, 28-30 degrees btdc. Go back to 2000 rpm for the rest of your break in, 20 minutes total. Cool over night check valve clearance. Fire up varying rpm,s. Throttle on uphill throttle off downhill. I think 20 minutes is enough. Check timing and carb adjustments while hot. Change oil done.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

After cam break-in, just run/drive it..

DRag motors get broken in at the race track at 7,500rpm...
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

Ok I think I'm going to keep the mineral oil in it until after the piston rings are broken in and then drop the oil.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

After the 20-25 minute cam break in you need to change the oil and adjust the valves. You would not believe how dirty the oil is and how much junk is inside a new engine no matter how much you clean everything before assemble. After the break-in you must allow the engine to cool 10-12 hrs to normalize. This is also an important part of the initial break in that very few people mention. After 300 miles change oil & adjust valves, and again at 1000.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

Dave,

I do (2) 20 minute cam breakins along with oil change and valve adjust after each.

Then drive it like you stole it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
After the 20-25 minute cam break in you need to change the oil and adjust the valves. You would not believe how dirty the oil is and how much junk is inside a new engine no matter how much you clean everything before assemble. After the break-in you must allow the engine to cool 10-12 hrs to normalize. This is also an important part of the initial break in that very few people mention. After 300 miles change oil & adjust valves, and again at 1000.

Can I add regular oil instead of break-in mineral oil for the piston ring break-in and 300 miles after?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

yes
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
yes

X2

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

ok thanks guys
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

For static timing the Ignitor II type adaptive dwell units, it is quite tricky.

What you have to do is move the distributor back and forwards rapidly with the engine set at 8 degrees BTDC, with a 12 volt light connected to the black wire on the distributor, and the ignition feed on the coil.
Eventually you will get an idea of where the points 'open' and that is where you set the distributor.

Better still, to complete break in without possibly failing to start, or running too slow initially, swap to points and condenser for the break in and go back to the electronic unit when it has completed the cam break in.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

It is good to change the oil and filter (if you have one) a few times in the first few hundred miles to get all the crap out of the engine. It is cheap insurance.
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
For static timing the Ignitor II type adaptive dwell units, it is quite tricky.

What you have to do is move the distributor back and forwards rapidly with the engine set at 8 degrees BTDC, with a 12 volt light connected to the black wire on the distributor, and the ignition feed on the coil.
Eventually you will get an idea of where the points 'open' and that is where you set the distributor.

Better still, to complete break in without possibly failing to start, or running too slow initially, swap to points and condenser for the break in and go back to the electronic unit when it has completed the cam break in.

We've considered this since we have the old distributor (009) with points but it will also need adjustment before starting. I found this video(by accident actually) and she happens to have the same distributor we have. I'm pretty confident we can get the Pertronix close enough to get it started. For my set up, I was going to go for 7.5 BTDC and 30-32 for full advance with the engine running at higher revs. I've also read that you need to be careful not to 'cook' the distributor by leaving the ignition on for more than 30 secs. I'm planning on leaving it on for about 10-15 seconds at a time to get the static timing on the mark.

https://youtu.be/h0v3uTfIW-g?t=1196
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

These guys have killer break-in oil and a really good 5w40. They have it formulated to their specs. Probably the best race engine builder in the country, year in year out.

https://rehermorrison.com/

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

i always static time with a 009 to get the engine running...then after everythings done and carbs are adjusted switch to the electronic...on new engines with 2 out of the box carbs its just so much easier to know timings in the ballpark while you're trying to get the thing to run well enough to break in the cam
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

Break in went pretty well although the engine stalled a couple times. Dropped the oil and it was gray–mostly due to the white assembly grease I imagine. I set the valves to .004 IN and .006 EX (before they were .006 and .006). After the break in they were all within .001 and didn't change much from the original setting. However I'm still having some trouble gettin the timing right. Full advance it's about 30 degrees but at idle it's 12. It wants to stall if I retard it further at idle. I think most of these issues are carb related(Pict-34 Bocar) as it also hesitates if I stab the throttle at all instead of a steady increase. Thoughts?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

Does it have vac advance?
If not you'll likely have to richen it up (bigger jets) more than ideal.
Google 009 flatspot.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

Set it to 30* at 2800-3000 rpms and let the idle timing be what it is
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tidybol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine break-in Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Does it have vac advance?
If not you'll likely have to richen it up (bigger jets) more than ideal.
Google 009 flatspot.

Yes, it's a Pertronix SVDA distributor.
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Pertronix-Brand-SVDA-Distributor-12-Volt-Version-p/d186504.htm
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: