Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Is there a router bit to cut the channel for the black molding that wraps around the cabinets? I am rehabbing a old cabinet and I want to make the spare tire holder of the sink cabinet into a slide out drawer system that looks original (looks like the spare tire would be in there but it slides out with multiple shelves). I want to make any additional pieces match so I would need to add the black trim.

I would think the channel could be cut on a table saw but holding some of the pieces vertically could be interesting. Is there a router bit that would just cut a center section out?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Yes, its called a slot cutter bit. 1/4" shank and you need to get the right one for that T moulding you plan on using. An 1/8" slot may be too big, 3/32" might be the one.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Those search tips are awesome! Thanks for those and for the two links - exactly what I was looking for!

Best,
Kent

1979 Campmobile - "Pancho Verde"

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Mark 3 Jetta "Liebchen Zwei"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

[quote/notchboy]Good to hear. Now maybe more people will do their buses back to a stock look.[/quote]

I have been thinking about replacing the darker Berlin laminate in my 79 with the earlier Birch, I like the brighter color and it would seem to open up the space that way.

I'm new so forgive me, but I notice that the Brits and many other countries seem to do a lot of bespoke interiors, some better than the original and some ugly as sin!

i know BusDaddy's quote: "stock never goes out of style." But I wonder if it is aesthetics, purists, or resale value that drives the US to build to stock?

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Well you can never go wrong with stock, trends come and go, but those stylists nailed it for the era it was originally designed for, it's not timeless, but there's nothing bad about it either. On the other hand there are some very nice looking custom interiors as well (I myself do prefer the lighter European influenced color scheme over the later dark cave one that caters to the North American market of the time), you may be limiting your market to a particular niche who desire the clean/bright look over the dark 70's deal and don't care if it's correct, but many of them seem to have the bucks to back up thier tastes, if it makes them happy and thier check clears it's all good.
Just do it tastefully and professionally, nothing looks worse than an obvious backyard job with rough edges and cheap hardware, even worse if it's got too much going on, simple, clean and functional always beats gadget and trim overload.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

I did mine in the Nevar Cherry and I like the look a lot. But Id of done stock if I had the option.

Cherry

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

I like the brighter look too. Did my old 74 tintop camper interior in light grey like the late vanagons.
cv66seabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks all!
Notchboy, I love the color, and you did a remarkable job! However,I think it'll be birch veneer, although I may leave my new Berlin table as is, since the laminate is new.

I do like the way they did the vanagon interiors - nice use of the space on the drivers' side.

I'm adding a solar house battery in the space where the spare tire would go, and adding a shelf, and dual cabinet doors for access, but I ordered new replacement handles so it will look more like a stock cabinet.

Saving the original stuff I replace so it could be reversed if desired in the future.

Kent

Old Friends - gone now:
1964 Beetle "Liebchen"
Passat Wagon "Wolf"
2015 Passat Sedan "Rudy"
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
We are now stocking late Westy laminate (for '74-up) in several versions. I only have a few of each...

Complete pre-cut kit for the walls, rear hatch, and sliding door:
http://www.busdepot.com/231898234

Sliding Door Panel Only:
http://www.busdepot.com/231898235

Laminate sheet (can be cut to replace laminate on cabinet door faces, etc.):
http://www.busdepot.com/231898230

Nice to see that the NLAVW stuff is still being sold by BusDepot. I remember that some people had complained of the panels curling up like a Pringle chip when exposed to a moist environment. Anyone know if this problem has been solved or if there is a guarantee on the product?

I have messaged NLAVW already.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

The NLAVW people said they haven't had this problem with their product. I'm not sure if it was a JK or BusDepot supplied panel, but I definitely remember hearing about interior panels going bad.

Just a regular guy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
The NLAVW people said they haven't had this problem with their product. I'm not sure if it was a JK or BusDepot supplied panel, but I definitely remember hearing about interior panels going bad.

Well I highly doubt any of them have a different vendor. Its all the same place they get it from. They are full of shit to say "they" never heard or had "their" panel have any issue. Short of looking up the emails I sent and or PMs through ads here - I gave plenty of notice. But in all fairness, I wasn't asking for a replacement as it was 2 years old, but sat in an undriving, not finished bus. So it was pristine for a long time.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8915370#8915370

Then I bought a Bus Depot one - exactly the same. Started to curl and I had to take drastic fastener measures.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

FYI: I used Formica 6208 glamour cherry, recommended years back on the samba, and it was pretty damn close.

https://www.formica.com/en-us/products/cmpct/06208
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Well I highly doubt any of them have a different vendor. Its all the same place they get it from.

The Reprowesty panels look like they are produced by Westag-Getalit in Rheda-Weidenbruck Germany rather than NLAVW based on the info on their site.

https://reprowesty.com/product/vw-t2b-westfalia-berlin-complete-7-delige-panelen-set/
https://reprowesty.com/laminaat/

Just a regular guy
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I wanna be laminated - Best Cabinet Laminate FAQ Reply with quote

I have a 48" x 70" panel of the Nevamar Blossom Cherry.

I will post in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

(sold - but not forgotten)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: