Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

This is kind of incredible. Ray_V6TDI is a wildman!

Equally incredible is the lack of Samba action on this thread ...only 3 pages in 9 months? I think it has a marketing problem, the subject is not the greatest.
"Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain" did not interest me enough to open it. Today is the first time I even looked at the thread. With transaxles being the achilles heel of all (most) engine conversions, this is an extremely pertinent thread.

How many speeds are there in the Audi Tiptronic? How much HP does Audi run thru it? What's the Ring&Pinion ratio, and top gear cruising RPM etc? This info is necessary, and members are interested.

How about a Mod changing the subject? This title below would look more interesting (to me).

Audi Tiptronic #spd auto trans in Vanagon

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

How many speeds are there in the Audi Tiptronic? How much HP does Audi run thru it? What's the Ring&Pinion ratio, and top gear cruising RPM etc? This info is necessary, and members are interested.

Can't speak to the Audi version, but for the 2WD VW version:

4-cyl (1.8T) final drive is 3.091, intermediate drive is 1.207

6-cyl (2.8 V-6) final drive is mostly 3.091, also 2.727, intermediate 1.207

4WD is a bit confusing because of the way the front and rear are split, but for the front the same two final drive ratios are available (3.091 and 2.727). W8 is 2.909 I believe.

I suspect the longer ratio for the V-6 may not have been North America, but I don't know. Also, I suspect the TDI version would be lower ratio.

Having always been a manual transmission person, I was prepared to not like automatics. But I ended up with an automatic Vanagon, and I can see the advantages. I have to say that I really like the Tiptronic also. I have bought three (in Passats) in the past couple of years. Two V-6 4-Motion, one 2WD 1.8t.

They are 5-speed, with lockup torque converter in all forward gears. The sport mode ('manual' shift) works better than any other similar that I have personally experienced. I use it often for fun.

The controller was pretty sophisticated for its day. Adapts to drivers and conditions. These would make an excellent transmission for a van, in my opinion. I suspect they are pretty durable as well. The ones I am using are all in the 300,000 km range. I have read the torque convertors can be a problem, and one of mine has a pretty strong shudder on occasion.

The 2.8L v-6 is 190 HP I think. Not sure of RPM, but it is pretty low at highway speeds. I can check later today if I am out.

RonC
johanmarais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Anyone that can maybe share this zip file again, I see the link has expired
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05662539044977730328

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09096177919751128337

First link is the CAD files, second link is all the images.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

I sure hope someone makes progress on this. It sure looks like a viable alternative to me. I believe I could handle the machining if I had everything in front of me and went with a three or even 4 piece design instead of two.

Unfortunately the Bridgeport mill I have access to needs to have wear parts replaced before attempting anything this precise.

I believe it is definitely worth pursuing, even if a shop needs to be hired.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johanmarais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=05662539044977730328

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=09096177919751128337

First link is the CAD files, second link is all the images.

Thanks
cbas2001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

WOOOW I fell in love with your work, I want to do the same in an automatic 4EAT Box with an ej22.

My question is, your pinion and differential crown how did it work? Why is it moving the force on the opposite side of the teeth?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

New re-hosting because it came to my attention that the old links were dead. Hopefully this time they stick around longer

CAD files:
https://jmp.sh/AFHeuvL
Pictures:
https://jmp.sh/uckzrMQ
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Those links don't work for me...
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Nice conversion!! But isn't a porsche tiptronic much easier to adapt? Also much more expensive...

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ray_V6TDI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Unfortunately, no.

Different software in TCU,
different gear ratio 1-5
different middle gear ratio (the one to replace),
different axle distance between middle gears Porsche vs Audi
different bellhousing pattern.

Besides the mechanical issues, the first three mentioned do cause severe software isues and/or limp modes.

Regards
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
New re-hosting because it came to my attention that the old links were dead. Hopefully this time they stick around longer

CAD files:
https://jmp.sh/AFHeuvL
Pictures:
https://jmp.sh/uckzrMQ

So I too just saw this thread.
Any chance the cad files are still around?

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

See if this link works for the CAD files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_YXk7rmvVeYl0RTROxCCXRAsi6m0N49_/view?usp=sharing
Ray_V6TDI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

www.v6bus.de/Tiptronik.zip

CAD data permanently available. Any certificate issues, nevermind. itīs my own Domain.

www.v6bus.de on its own: Picture collection
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Does anyone know from what year to what year this particular transmission was used? Was it 2000-2005? I ran a search on Copart just to see hows the market doing with the 4motion and only found 5 cars in the entire USA maybe I have the wrong information? Maybe I'm not searching for the appropriate tranny model?

Just bought a 2005 4motion V6 GLX in payments of 100 dollars in a total value of 800 dollars lol (Total coincidence I ended up with this car) my neighbor had it and I was like wow a VR6! (I was totally confused) and I ended up with the 2.8 V6 not bad if you look at it when you find such great initiative from the Original Poster

Thank you Ray! Let's make this happen! To be continued!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Found it!

https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/pdfc-media/...p19fla.pdf
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ray_V6TDI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Congratulations for your purchase.
However, the conversion will not fit a 4WD 5HP19FLA.

It only works on 2WD 5HP19FL.
However, you can remove the Audis rear diff flange and torsen parts,
exchange the planetary output shaft vs 2WD (shorter) and put a 2WD middle gear&cover on.
No clue abut the diff/middlegear ratios though, or if an electronic cheat is necessary.

You can see the physical difference in your attached PDF on sides 11 vs 12. The 4WD is quite a bit longer with all the rear axle stuff.

Regards
Ray
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Im in depressed mode Very Happy Shocked
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

Question? Could the 4WD in the 4motion (AWD) be reversed? like the subaru gears are doing it?
Ray_V6TDI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Tiptronic-Modification now public Domain Reply with quote

The 4WD can be reversed just like the 2WD, but it needs different kind of middle gears, and different housing for them.

The three gears that get replaced by mine, are at the end of the gearbox on 2WD (behind planetary output).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On 4WD, they are in the MIDDLE between planetary output and Torsen diff.

So the new housing needs to be completely different, and the gears as well: with the planetary output shaft not running into the first middle gear, but THROUGH it into the torsen. And from Torsen back forward into the first middle gear

Thatīs a whole new design of casing and gears. I never bothered on my 2WD Vanagon.

Edit: Found another scheme...left 4WD, right 2WD

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: