Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermitten Rod Knock
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

Just talking B.S., I have to put some thought on that one.. To easy to do, so wonder on my machine......

Everybody has there "own" set-up.. That is all I know.... RB
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your knocking noise dude.
I have been checking out that Moroso primer that pre oils the the bearings and I’m sure other companies have something like this as well but it looks really promising.
You run good oil and are very meticulous about your maintenance from our conversations. (2 fuel filters, and regular oil changes)
Keep this thread alive and maybe keep an ear out for the sound upon startup.

(Btw: we are on the east coast and the temps have really dropped substantially)
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

You can rule out main bearings, they make a grumble sound, if mains are loose in the case or a crank is loose within the bearings the grumble lasts a few seconds until the oil has circulated. Listen for it on start up. Doors closed, windows up, radio off.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

Everything I own grumbles these days on start up. Even this old carcass of mine!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lots of big industrial engines have a prelube pump that is used to get the oil pressure up before start up.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

Check out Mondshines post about the Accusump he uses as a pre oiler:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=729764&highlight=oiler

There is schematic on how he set his up and Moroso video of a like product.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

That is exactly what I was talking about a couple of posts back!

This is the bottle I have in mind to use.

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

The Moroso looks awesome from the videos I’ve seen.
I bought a drain back valve to put inline with my external filter but was talked out of it because it has a small rubber “plunger” inline.
The rubber may not hold up to the high temperatures of the oil. I decided against it.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

A handy owner can rig up a grease gun, a pair of rubber gloves, and a pint of motor oil to make a pre-oiler. That will tell you right away if it’s in the oiling system (bearings,) or somewhere else, (piston slap or oil pump/cam/lifters.)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

Back in the early '70s Dad and I rigged up a 3" x 4' piece of pipe for an oil reservoir with the ends welded shut, a tube to the bottom, a barrel bung on the top, an air fitting and a filter. After rebuilding an engine and just before start up we would put the oil in the reservoir, hook up a hose to the engine oil pressure switch hole, put air pressure on the reservoir and fill the engine with oil while turning it over with a wrench.

I often wished I could do something similar in a smaller scale for every start up.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermitten Rod Knock Reply with quote

You can always crank without giving it gas to push oil through the system via the oil pump before the ignition and fuel kicks in to give it fire.

I think someone above indicated they had two switches: one for the starter cranking and the other for the ignition.

Kind of like cranking to build oil pressure before break in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: