Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van went kaboom!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Did shorepig ever tell us how he got home and I missed it? 🤔

Dave

I don't believe so. I figured he skinned one of the fallen deer, used it to repair the leaks and melted snow to fill the cooling system before driving home. Laughing Laughing

It was a tough ride home due to bucking, no doubt. Nowhere to hide.

Can you eat deer harvested with a coolant trap? Asking for a friend.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Its still in place with cheese grater clamps and still water tight.

Cool

It's a good thing the gods were preoccupied with a dino v. syn oil debate when you mentioned this. Still, I'd check the hose clamps soon. Smile
Its been over fifteen years. I don't worry about it at all. You kids need to learn to trust old school techniques!! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Well,

For those asking how I got my coolant less van out......I drove my van 100' to the top of a very long gravel descent, shut it off and rolled about 10 kms downhill to where I was met by a tow truck who towed me home. Thank goodness for BCAA. Best purchase I've ever made!

Van is now in my gravel driveway, it's pissing rain out (always does here in Squamish BC and I'm about to install my 1.25" stainless replacement pipes from VanCafe. I'm really excited about it! (insert sarcasm). I've been reading posts searching for tips and tricks but not finding much info. I've labelled new pipes (4 pieces) so I know where to locate them and I'm going to drop rear of my fuel tank.

Anyone have any pointers before I get down and dirty?
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:

That is just going to suck doing it in the rain on gravel..... sorry.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I second the use of "Rescue Tape". I just had to use some last night to stop a serious leak in a weld joint on a tube. Hose clamps over the start and finish of the wrap effectively ensure no water will get out from under the tape. It's just a temp repair, but it has to last until the middle of January before I can get it permanently repaired. It's on a system running under pressure 24 hrs a day.

our poorly swapped cobbled 1.9l diesel had a split hose right at the tstat housing the morning we were leaving for camping 2 4th of julys ago... i crammed a quarter roll of silicone sealing rescue tape on the broken joint, a couple zip ties, and it lasted for >1000 miles until the engine got pulled. didnt leak a single drop!

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
shorepig wrote:

Yeah, I second that feeling.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Take some pictures of the existing bends and twists of your stock pipes, that way if any confusion comes up, you have a record of what to compare to the new pipes ,which don't always run 'exactly' like the original. Close, they fit, but the more info you have stored, the better.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
dobryan wrote:
shorepig wrote:

Yeah, I second that feeling.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Take some pictures of the existing bends and twists of your stock pipes, that way if any confusion comes up, you have a record of what to compare to the new pipes ,which don't always run 'exactly' like the original. Close, they fit, but the more info you have stored, the better.

I could not use the original pipe hanger wire clips. The SS pipes just were a hair too off to let the clip work. I had to improvise with some metal strapping. Be prepared for something similar, or you may be luckier than I was....

The Western Syncro build
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Same as dobryan, had to make my own hangers- which, honestly, I think are better than those clips, but that's probably just my ego talking.

Also, it's finick-y getting the pipes lined up just right over the fuel tank. Be prepared to be annoyed with that.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Do you guys think I'm nuts for trying to do this on a driveway or would you gladly pay $400 labour plus $250 tow fee to have it done?
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
Do you guys think I'm nuts for trying to do this on a driveway or would you gladly pay $400 labour plus $250 tow fee to have it done?

For $650 I'd come over there to do it if you lived closer.

Get er dun. Put a piece of plywood or heavy cardboard under the bus. It is not technically challenging, just a run of the mill PITA.

The Western Syncro build
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

When did you last replace your heater hoses? How about seals on fuel tank? I completely dropped my fuel tank and it made it easy to position and attach pipes. Re-did the heater hoses, and fuel tank seals as well. Things I don't have to worry about for a long time. Just saying....

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Not sure if heater hoses ever have been replaced. The fuel tank was replaced a month ago...and now it leaks majorly when I fill up. Mechanic will be addressing this when I get my van in Monday. I have a feeling the fuel level sender unit is not seated correctly.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

So, you are taking it in to your mechanic on Monday, who will likely have to remove the fuel tank anyway? I think I would use silicone rescue tape to get to the mechanic. Let them do the SS pipe install, especially since the weather this weekend is going to be hell in Squamish.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Its still in place with cheese grater clamps and still water tight.

Cool

It's a good thing the gods were preoccupied with a dino v. syn oil debate when you mentioned this. Still, I'd check the hose clamps soon. Smile
Its been over fifteen years. I don't worry about it at all. You kids need to learn to trust old school techniques!! Very Happy

I'm a huge fan of rescue tape and old school techniques.

It's the gods I don't trust. Wink Laughing Cool

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

You say that you mechanic can't properly install a fuel tank!

You want to trust him to install two simple pipes?

I'd drop the fuel tank, tell your mechanic that want $250 for fixing his screw up ........ put the pipes in while the tank is out.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

The last 2 tanks I've done for owners, I had a heck of a time getting the fuel sender in with a new O ring. Turns out, the stamping of the hole is way to sharp. It will actually cut into the plastic sender and not ride up on it's hooks as it should. Both tanks required "dressing" the lips of the opening. I also pressure tested both tanks after the sender was installed. Not a job you want to redo for free.

Both tanks came from different online vanagon suppliers. Not much you can do about it. Its also easy to dislocate a grommet putting the tank back in if you don't pay attention.

I wouldn't want to replace the pipes with the tank in place. Maybe you could get some labor off since he needs to reseal the tank. Overlapping labor somewhat. It's not the sort of job, I'd choose to do laying on the damp ground.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

This thread reminds me how glad I am that I do all of the work on my own vehicles and actually enjoy it. Given the choice, I'd rather replace my fuel tank and coolant pipes (while listening to an audiobook) than go snow-boarding even if both were free. The fact that replacing my fuel tank and coolant pipes (or the like) saves me money and snow-boarding would cost extra is just gravy.

The new fuel tank I installed a few years back also needed the sender opening cleaned up. It's fairly easy to do right and also fairly easy to do wrong. I fit the sender without an o-ring and trimmed until it fit properly prior to trying to do so with the o-ring in place.

The gravel driveway wouldn't bother me. The rain probably would. Regardless of the rain, I would definitely be happy to do both the install of the pipes and the reseal of the fuel tank if saving $650 in labor/towing. Heck yeah.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

I run old cars because they are cheap to keep going, but they are only cheap because I do all the work. I will even do things like rotate my tires on my own time even though I can get it done for free at Les Schwab. It just takes less time for me to do the swap than to drive to LS and back along with waiting my turn in line.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

There are known fuel sender sealing / tab engagement issues.

The tabs on the tank will easily cut their own locking slots on the plastic of the gauge.

File them smooth, bend them slightly as needed, lube the Oring, push down HARD and rotate sender into place.

Broken photos but a link......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
Well,

I recommend all new hoses and clamps to/from the new pipes. As I recall, my stock front hose (82 diesel) didn't fit - the one with the sharp bend at the end.

Kudos for the no worries attitude Mr.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: