Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Project - 1984 Puma GTS
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

This car was posted here about a week and a half ago and I had to have it. It's pretty much all original with still plenty of life left as it is.

It was posted as a 1983 but the title shows 1984, so I'm going with 1984 from now on. This will be a simple restoration project of removing, inspecting, cleaning, reusing and replacing as I go along.

The body and interior will get a proper cleaning/detail job and the engine will receive some much needed attention. Although the engine runs, I know it can be made better.

I'll try my hardest to maintain a good working routine along with the updates here. Any questions are welcome.

A few pics. I have more to upload

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Few more pictures.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Sorry for the bad pics. Not sure why my phone did that.

Ordered carb rebuild kits. Planning on doing some fiberglass repairs to the battery tray area, since it's cracking.

I finished all the work I wanted to do to my brother's '56, so now my energy can be used here. I need to figure out how to go about the damaged convertible top.
Petfisheric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Joey congrats on the acquisition of your Puma, looks pretty clean in the pictures. I'm sure you will learn that what you have is a GTC not the GTS. The GTS had steal bumper covers and from the front looked a little more like a Dino vs. the GTCs 911ish front end.

Couple of quick things about Puma's the GTC and GTIs were built on a cut down Brazilia platform so the top hat is different than German / North American VWs. This is only an issue if you need a Master Cylinder. You will have to source one for the Brazilia. Also the steering column is out of the Brazilia so getting a spare key made can be difficult. Finding someone with a proper blank is the trick. It is like a mirror image to the German VWs. The rear brakes will be Type 3 if they haven't been swapped for Type 1 components already. If they are Type 3 drums keep them as they have superior stopping power.

Here is a photo of mine from 1987 when I first purchased it.
Kevin-T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

First post on the samba.

I also just purchased a Puma, 1981 GTC. It is on a truck back home to Canada where it spent all but the last two years in Florida. Just learning about the Puma differences to other old VW's. I am not new to the air-cool VW's as my first restoration was a 1972 Westy, that was back in 1988. About 12 years ago I restored a 1973 Super Bettle. My next project was a 1971 Ghia convertible. Then 4 years ago I restored a 1969 Ghia coupe. All are sold except the 69 Ghia which is a keeper. I missed my convertible so much that I recently started looking for a new convertible project and thanks the Hot VW mag doing a feature on Puma's, I knew right away I found my next project.
This car is complete and hopefully not a full on restoration like the past units because I really hope I will be driving it come spring.
desi2960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Just sold my 84 gtc, took it on a 275 mile trip last month and was tired when i got back to my home. At 77 years old, and 6 ft 200 lbs, there is just not enough room for me to get comfortable.
Your looks great enjoy it.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Kevin-T wrote:
First post on the samba.

I also just purchased a Puma, 1981 GTC. It is on a truck back home to Canada where it spent all but the last two years in Florida. Just learning about the Puma differences to other old VW's. I am not new to the air-cool VW's as my first restoration was a 1972 Westy, that was back in 1988. About 12 years ago I restored a 1973 Super Bettle. My next project was a 1971 Ghia convertible. Then 4 years ago I restored a 1969 Ghia coupe. All are sold except the 69 Ghia which is a keeper. I missed my convertible so much that I recently started looking for a new convertible project and thanks the Hot VW mag doing a feature on Puma's, I knew right away I found my next project.
This car is complete and hopefully not a full on restoration like the past units because I really hope I will be driving it come spring.

That's a great looking Puma.
Follow along as I work on mine.

I have decided to record and share the experience working on my 1984 Puma GTC. The video quality is just okay, since I'm using my cheaper phone, but I hope you enjoy the process.

Let me know of any recommendations!
Thanks!

Link

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Started working on minor things. Removed the door panel to fix the leather, which is coming apart. Found some broken pieces which I'll need to have 3D printed.

Link

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Question for anyone reading out there reading this, would Super Beetle brake disc components fit the Puma/Brazilia models? I want to redo my front brakes soon and would like to order the correct stuff.
Kevin-T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Clearly I am not an expert or even have much general knowledge of the Puma or the pan it is based on but I do have experience with old aircooled VW's. I had a 73 super beetle and have had two Karmann ghia's. The super beetle has a different front set up with McPherson suspension vs double beam. Someone else should verify this but I believe because the Puma uses the beam front end you should be sourcing your brake parts from a Ghia not a Super. You may want to ask this question on the Facebook Puma Group page.

Still waiting for my Puma to arrive but when I do, I am sure we will be able to swap a lot of information back and forth then.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Kevin-T wrote:
Clearly I am not an expert or even have much general knowledge of the Puma or the pan it is based on but I do have experience with old aircooled VW's. I had a 73 super beetle and have had two Karmann ghia's. The super beetle has a different front set up with McPherson suspension vs double beam. Someone else should verify this but I believe because the Puma uses the beam front end you should be sourcing your brake parts from a Ghia not a Super. You may want to ask this question on the Facebook Puma Group page.

Still waiting for my Puma to arrive but when I do, I am sure we will be able to swap a lot of information back and forth then.

Can't wait for you to get yours. It's such a great looking car.

My brother has a '71 Squareback with front caliper, I'm going to compare those to see if they match.

Currently working on the door panel. Fixing the leather that's peeling/bubbling and trying to straighten the door panel that's warped due to moisture/time.
Kevin-T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

The refresh is done on my Puma. Tomorrow it goes to the shop for Provincial certification and inspection. Then I can drive it on the roads. Very excited. Very Happy

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Kevin-T wrote:
The refresh is done on my Puma. Tomorrow it goes to the shop for Provincial certification and inspection. Then I can drive it on the roads. Very excited. Very Happy

That looks absolutely stunning. Amazing work!!!

Couple of questions - where did you get the floormats? I saw some in ebay brazil but I can't buy them without finding a way to bypass the country stuff.

Also, can you measure the PUMA on the trunk? Mine doesn't have it and I have a decal machine with which I can make my own decals but would love to have the correct measurements.

Is it a good idea to block the airflow on the engine lid with the insulation? Won't it make the engine compartment hotter?

Again, stunning!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Can you post a closer picture of your engine lid prop/strut?
Mine is missing and the previous owner used a little stick to hold it up.
Kevin-T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Can you post a closer picture of your engine lid prop/strut?
Mine is missing and the previous owner used a little stick to hold it up.

Thanks for the encouragement. Very Happy

You are correct that if I blocked the engine bay vent openings that would NOT be good for the engine. I did not block the openings at all. See attached photo of the direct path of the existing vent to the engine bay lid.

Here are the photos of the engine lid support

Picture of the PUMA exhaust

Photos of the engine lid emblem and PUMA letters on the rear (I was not sure which ones you were refering to)

I have had four parts shipments sent to be directly from Brazil. Go under classified section search PUMA and the look for the Seller: Douglas Trigo.
This fellow is very trustworthy and helpful. Let him know I put you onto him.
He has served me VERY well and fairly.
Kevin
Kevin-T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

BTW - the foil/foam insulation on the engine lid is an exact size replacement of the factory fiberglass bat insulation that was on the car from new. The original insulation was very dirty and fraying. Under the new insulation there are no holes (vent openings).
The previous picture was shot from the bottom edge to show you how the correct vent opening was designed on my Canadian spec'd car. The Canadian cars were totally completed and assembled from the factory in Brazil. This is different to the USA cars that came on a pallet in pieces that either had to be put together buy the dealer or the customer.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Thank you for the pictures and information.

I had actually spoken with Mr. Triego before but felt uneasy about dealing with a person from another country, I'm extremely happy to know he's well respected. Thank you for reminding me.

Enjoy the ride!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Joey I just found your Puma thread! Are you going to rock the gold wheels this summer on this car or the Puma wheels? Why don't you let me drive this around while my Super is under construction? I'll take good care of it! Lol. I'm looking forward to seeing it out at the cruises this summer. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Joey I just found your Puma thread! Are you going to rock the gold wheels this summer on this car or the Puma wheels? Why don't you let me drive this around while my Super is under construction? I'll take good care of it! Lol. I'm looking forward to seeing it out at the cruises this summer. Cool

Ha! If you can fix what's wrong with it, enjoy it, as long as you give it back.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Project - 1984 Puma GTS Reply with quote

Not much happening on the Puma front since I've been working around the house but small victories matter.

Finally replaced the worn out, dry rotted tires and installed new ones. Three of the four wheels had inner tubes Wink

Sizes are 175/65/14 for the front and 195/70/14 for the rear. These are Walmart's Westlake brand tires. I have the brand on my wife's minivan and I'm happy with their performance. Good tire for the price.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: