Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy bed dimensions? full width More questions...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Westy bed dimensions? full width More questions... Reply with quote

I'm building a full width westy bed and would like the following dimensions from someone that has one.

Length x width of the seat back and bottom

same for the lower storage box.

I have to get out to home depot tommorrow and it'd be nice to know how many sheets of 3/4 ply I have to pick up.

Thanks in advance!

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster

Last edited by chazz79 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chazz,
I can get you some measurements. Give me few.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy bed dimensions? full width please Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I'm building a full width westy bed and would like the following dimensions from someone that has one.

Length x width of the seat back and bottom

same for the lower storage box.

I have to get out to home depot tomorrow and it'd be nice to know how many sheets of 3/4 ply I have to pick up.

Thanks in advance!

These are rough measurements as the padding is still on mine.
Seat back 53"x18"
Seat bottom 53"x20"
Frame or seat frame face 62"x13
Underside of frame (under the seat bottom, on the floor) 62"x11-1/2"
There are two support pieces that the hinge connects to as well as the seat stop. If you need those let me know. They have a specific cut, but I think you can get them done with a 4'x4' piece easily. There is also a piece that screw into the seat back that acts as a stop on the engine hump.

I can take a few pics tomorrow if it will help with your construct. You can probably do it with 2 sheets of 4'x8', but one extra won't hurt.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's what I was on the fence about-wether to bring home 2 or 3 sheets. Pics would help whenever you get the time.

All I have are the hinges and time.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can take some in the morning...........too dark now and I am on my way out to hear a really cool band..........The Dam Band. The singer, who is a friend of mine's wife sounds like Janis Joplin without the gravel. Very Happy
TOOB Member #15
Brian
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TOOB Member #15
Brian
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It looks like you hit every detail I needed to see.

TreeHugger63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are wonderful pics Peaceful Warrior! I am planning on this very thing for my 72. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Are the mechanics of the bed the same as the regular westy bed? Can I just use the OG hardware to accomplish this?

How thick is the foam on your seats and back mattress and would it affect the mesurements if I used thicker foam? The foam on my 72 westy bed is more than twice the thickness of my 77 bed. Do I need to adjust those measurements?

I definitely want to use thicker foam on the new wider bed. Yours is a later bay correct? So is your bed foam thin or thick? I want to put thicker foam on the 77 as well. It is way too thin for comfort. I would rather measure twice and cut once if you know what I mean

------------------------------------------------------------------------
And... Hey Chaz is that wide bed going in your green monster? I hope your gonna post pics of the install steps. It would be really helpful. Is your foam thin too?

Thanks Guys, TH

***Ignorance is curable - Stupidity is forever***

maximan1 wrote:
Ever heard the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TreeHugger63 wrote:
Those are wonderful pics Peaceful Warrior! I am planning on this very thing for my 72. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

Are the mechanics of the bed the same as the regular westy bed? Can I just use the OG hardware to accomplish this?

How thick is the foam on your seats and back mattress and would it affect the mesurements if I used thicker foam? The foam on my 72 westy bed is more than twice the thickness of my 77 bed. Do I need to adjust those measurements?

I definitely want to use thicker foam on the new wider bed. Yours is a later bay correct? So is your bed foam thin or thick? I want to put thicker foam on the 77 as well. It is way too thin for comfort. I would rather measure twice and cut once if you know what I mean

------------------------------------------------------------------------
And... Hey Chaz is that wide bed going in your green monster? I hope your gonna post pics of the install steps. It would be really helpful. Is your foam thin too?

Thanks Guys, TH

You're Welcome Chazz! Definitely post some of photos of your construct and finished product.

TH, I believe the mechanics are similar, but I will check on an early Westy bed. Those shots are from a 73 deluxe that had a Westy interior installed. Not certain if they came from a day camper, but the plate on the seat frame is from Westfalia Werke. Most likely a late model interior, due to the plaid material. Yes the foam is about 2" thick. I am not very familiar with the full size bed or where it came from.

I would think you would have to adjust in some way or another if you went with thicker foam. How the seat closes up would be an issue. I doubt the sides would make much difference. Possibly the height of the frame, but you can compare that against your 72 frame.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
anycoloryoulike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sup guys Cool

im planning to build a custom camper interior for my bus too.

i just asked yest. JK camper for some diagrams (as some user sugested in some post awhile ago, dont remember who) of a full width bed for bays.

They sent me all they got a while ago!!

[/img]

peace

Paint color: 964350 - Unknown special color

M-Plate:
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-5294.png]Click to view image

73 bus "wild westerner" edition
63 bug - sold
72 bug - sold
anycoloryoulike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
The Dam Band. The singer, who is a friend of mine's wife sounds like Janis Joplin without the gravel. Very Happy

jeje yeeah Cool Cool

Paint color: 964350 - Unknown special color

M-Plate:
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-5294.png]Click to view image

73 bus "wild westerner" edition
63 bug - sold
72 bug - sold
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a narrow bed/ wardrobe set up but that ain't gonna cut it with two kids. The wardrobe covers the passenger rear window. My kids are arguing over who gets to sit next to the window already. I'm guessing they don't want to miss the scenic views that are my drive way and the garage (the only places it's been in the last year)

Son: Wow dad I can see your tool box from here!

Daughter: Daddy! He won't move I can't see it...Daddy..... Daddy.......DADDY!

I can't complain it's been great having two bus buddies to hang out with. The bus is pretty much a cartoon on wheels to them and they can't get enough.

It took me all of but two seconds to think- full width bench with plenty of no touching zone between the two. I gave up a good interior to strike out on my own with this.

chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting there-I swear...

I have the bed done but I'm stuck on the side peices of the support box.

Can you tell me the length of the tops where the hinges bolt on, and maybe get a pic down in the well where they bolt up?

I started with hinges and a rough guess of how it's supposed to turn out.

As to cost of materials- 25.00x2 for plywood 4x8 sheets ( 2 are necessary) and around 5 bucks for bolts.

I've got about 60.00 wrapped up in it so far and I've got enough wood left over to make a full width headache rack. I'll post pics of it when I'm done because right now it's just a bunch of un recognizable crap. I'm a heck of a technician but a piss poor carpenter-go figure.

peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
I have the bed done but I'm stuck on the side peices of the support box.

Can you tell me the length of the tops where the hinges bolt on, and maybe get a pic down in the well where they bolt up?

The bolt for the lower part of the hinge mounts 6" from the face and 3" down.
I have put measurements next to the side. The 3" measurement at the top right is for the notch length.

TOOB Member #15
Brian
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes-

All done with the exception of an access door. Thanks for the prompt replies, the measurements were spot on and there's enough left over to make a headache rack or a front package shelf.

peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Here goes-

All done with the exception of an access door. Thanks for the prompt replies, the measurements were spot on and there's enough left over to make a headache rack or a front package shelf.

Hey Chazz,
Looks good so far.........Stop taking photos in the dark w/ no flash though.... Laughing Laughing Good to hear the measurements were spot on, it would suck if they weren't.........you know measure twice, cut once, but if the measurement is wrong it could end up being cut once, install, pull out and cut again. Wink
Looking forward to see it completed. I will be doing this later in the year.
Keep on posting photos.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
2dubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy bed dimensions? full width More questions... Reply with quote

it may be 10 years later, but THANKS Peaceful Warrior for these pics and dimensions! PO of my bus included a crappy condition 3/4 bed with the sale, and I'm reusing the hinges to make what you have here. Super helpful Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: