Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van went kaboom!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I run old cars because they are cheap to keep going, but they are only cheap because I do all the work. I will even do things like rotate my tires on my own time even though I can get it done for free at Les Schwab. It just takes less time for me to do the swap than to drive to LS and back along with waiting my turn in line.

...and even more time saved not dealing with cross threaded lugs by the tailless monkey , and correct torque on the lugs, too.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

old pipes are out...in pieces. Yep, it's a dirty job indeed. I was only able to lower the rear of the fuel tank about an inch. Any idea what may be catching? I've undone the 2 bolts at the front of the tank. I still have everything fuel related connected with the exception of the fuel filler neck which I've unscrewed from the body.

Tomorrow should be a hoot! lol
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
old pipes are out...in pieces. Yep, it's a dirty job indeed. I was only able to lower the rear of the fuel tank about an inch. Any idea what may be catching? I've undone the 2 bolts at the front of the tank. I still have everything fuel related connected with the exception of the fuel filler neck which I've unscrewed from the body.

Tomorrow should be a hoot! lol

The filler neck,
The cross over pipe,
The hoses to the saddle vents above each wheel,
The wires to the fuel level sender.

Also, empty the tank, the job will be easier, an empty tank is but a few pounds.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

fuel filler neck needs to be removed to drop the tank not just unscrewed from the fenderwell.
it passes thru a hole in the frame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
fuel filler neck needs to be removed to drop the tank not just unscrewed from the fenderwell.
it passes thru a hole in the frame.

And IF PROPERLY installed by your mechanic, the cross over pipe is hooked to the body between the tank saddles.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Hi Shorepig,

Juggling and positioning the tank is a lot easier with a wood ramp setup as referenced in my post here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8764410&highlight=#8764410

Also that plastic crossover pipe is a bugger because it is inflexible and short. I replaced it with a new piece of rubber fuel hose. Made it longer. Easier to hook it up once the tank is back in.

Have fun.

P.S.

I just read that you are based in Squamish, home of the infamous “Squampton” Doughnut. Hilarious.
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys!

Questions:

1- Does anyone recall in what order they installed the 4 new SS pipe sections? I'm thinking fronts first (up and over fuel tank), then rears, then attach 2 fronts to 2 rears, then make connections to engine, then connections to radiator. then lots of twisting to get alignment correct. Is it ok to use dish soap to Lube up my connection points?

2- There was a metal strap that I cut through that held the 2 coolant pipes and 2 heater hoses up against the frame. I had to cut this to get the coolant pipes out. What was your solution to reattach, or re-hang these pipes a this location?
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Shoot! I just realized I could have unscrewed that metal bracket that was holding the coolant pipes to the frame. The screws to take it off were hiding under the heater hoses. Ugh.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
Shoot! I just realized I could have unscrewed that metal bracket that was holding the coolant pipes to the frame. The screws to take it off were hiding under the heater hoses. Ugh.

Easy enough to make another, just get one of the lighter weight Simpson straps from the lumber section at Lowes or Home Depot and in a few minutes of bending, cutting, and drilling you will have another one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-HRS.../100374841
clamay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

GoWesty has a video that shows installing their pipes. It might help.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/-/4407/stainless-steel-coolant-pipe-set-2wd-?v=

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. --Yogi Berra
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

I used this for straps. It has been fine for ten years. YMMV.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Greenfield-3-4-in-x-10...lsrc=aw.ds

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone's help. Mission accomplished. Pipes are in, and I didn't have to drop the tank right down. Just lowered the back end about 4", and avoided removing any fuel lines. Tomorrow I'll bleed the system and fire it up!
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

shorepig wrote:
Tomorrow I'll bleed the system and fire it up!

Raise the rear reservoir 20 inches higher than the radiator bleed port when you fill it ---- then just walk to the front, remove the bleed screw and let the air out.
This could be called the Libby Bongless.

I've always wondered if you could put in all the coolant you can, then drive it (a very short distance ! ) to the nearest steep little slope ( for rear 20" higher!).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The radiator is 10 inhes higher than the reservoir, so the Libby bong at 20 inches provides 10 inches of extra oomph. And parking on a slope with the rear wheels as high as the front center does the same oomph. But you may only need a little more than 10, not all 20.

This is about 8° or 9°, use the angle function on your phone.

This 'slope' would have to be pretty nearby like like 3 blocks or ???.
I have no idea how far you can drive an un-bled Vanagon.
But you don't want it hot such that you can't remove the reservoir cap or the bleeder.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:05 am; edited 3 times in total
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Hi guys I'm having problems with the coolant filling procedure. I'm following the Bentley manual. The only thing I did differently is I filled the coolant container on flat ground first because I needed to drive my van for 1 minute in order to get the front up in the air to bleed it. I figured I should get some coolant in there before running it...now I realize it was a mistake.

So with the nose way in the air, engine at 2000 rpm, rear bleeder and rad bleeder open, I'm not getting any coolant coming out of rad bleeder screw. Coolant is filled to top of drivers side coolant tank. The rad is hot, the return hose from the rad to engine is hot too. What should I try next?

Should I try Sodo's method?
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

I may be completely wrong here but I believe you want the back end higher than the front - which is what Sodo mentioned.
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Libby bong works great.
Do a search on it pretty simple and cheap
To make .
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Try looking up the Libby Bong method in FAQ’s. It’s proof against this idiot for filling the cooling system. Thanks ?Waldo?, btw.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

I have never found it necessary to raise either end of the van to bleed the system. Crack the bleeders on the radiator and coolant loop and open the heater valve, fill the engine as much as you can, start her up and add additional coolant to keep the expansion (pressure) tank full. Once it will not take any more use a folded match book or something to hold the throttle valve open far enough so that you can see the fluid level draw down in the tank, add more fluid until the level holds steady right at the top, put the cap on the tank, walk around to the front and shut the bleeder followed by topping off the overflow tank if needed, close the bleeders on the coolant loop, done.

If your thermostat doesn't have a bleed hole the whole operation may be harder to do.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

The idea of the libby bong is to raise the level of the coolant above the radiator bleed screw. You can use a spare front radiator hose to do the same like this. Ignore that this is a subie setup. The same can be done with the regular position. Since I always carry spare coolant hoses this is a available to me. It fits snug into the pressure tank top.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shorepig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Van went kaboom! Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Did what Sodo recommended and worked like a charm. Hard to believe the Bentley manual method didn’t work. I’ve cycled my cooling system, van wirks, gauge works, no leaks, only issue is the vented cap allows me to suck air through it which is a sign of a bad cap so I’ll replace that.

I’m still wondering why the day my coolant system blew up prior to the pipe bursting I had no heat. To recap, I started the can, idled it for 10 mins, temps read normal on gauge but no heat. I blipped the throttle then there was heat. Later that night the pipe blew up.
2013 ktm 690r
Sector nine pintail
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: