Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrcstudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Hey guys, I've been lurking but not posting (or bragging about my van) but now I'm here to share my story.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought this van and have been enjoying it a lot: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728033&highlight=sema+burley
My wife hated the wrap, and this was the only condition for me having her permission to buy it:

She wants to paint it a deep purple, so that's in the plans too.

Burley built everything under the van that wiggles or turns, but warned me that he hadn't "done anything to the transmission" so I knew my fun was over when I heard grinding while backing up Rolling Eyes so, I'm pulling the trans out.

However, I want to be able to tow a boat faster than 45 MPH, so I've been looking at engine swaps. I have a Subaru outback, so a Subie conversion was my first choice until I met Greg on the side of the road near Nashville, TN, and he took me for a ride in his van. So, I'm driving up tomorrow to pick up a Boxeer kit from him! What a Christmas present! (LOL, thanks wifie!)

More to come over the Holidays..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

funny thing about SEMA builds....90% are all junk

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30930/this-hilarious...ema-builds

one of the shows promoters basically sent an email saying "because of covid, i don't want to see any shitty builds with the excuse 'we didn't have enough time' so i hope to see some GOOD builds for '21"

I have been to SEMA shows in the past. most of the stuff is very poorly put together.

my point is, hopefully you didn't pay a premium for the SEMA name.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jrcstudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
funny thing about SEMA builds....90% are all junk

I look at it this way, I paid for a Burley-built suspension and skid plate. The rest of the van (engine, trans, and interior) was free. I got what I paid for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
livethevanlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Don't skimp on the transmission rebuild, the diesels are harder on them.
1991 Syncro Triple Knob Westfalia "Miki" 2.2WBX
1992 Syncro Triple Knob Tintop "Schnitzel" 1.9AAZ
1990 Syncro Rear Locker Doka Subi 2.2
1974 VW Thing 1835cc
1989 VW Carat

Last edited by livethevanlife on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Neato. I think I prefer the unwrapped van to the wrapped van. it looks like a fun project!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Awesome. Love that van Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Are you going to paint it a deep purple so it can be a highway star?

How about BMW Technoviolet? Interesting color, really changes depending on the sun.

Looking forward to seeing the project get under way!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Looks like you are ready to have fun with it. Very Happy

Don't mind the curmudgeons, they are actually OK most of the time... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

$45,000 for that? Burley must be getting ready to retire. Ouch.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Sounds like you're super-excited and motivated to build that Burley Syncro into your perfect Vanagon, and that's great to hear. That's a big part of the fun of owning a Vanagon. Thanks for taking the time to share with us the kick-off of your project, and I for one, would love it if you could keep updating us with the details and your impressions of the Boxeer TDI conversion. Burley does a great job with Syncro suspension and brake upgrades, so you're definitely starting off with a good platform.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

What's with all the Debbie Downers?

I counted over $20K in Burley parts, not counting any labor.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

shame on those dissing others rides Sad
the new owner is happy with his ride.

619 201 0310
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
shame on those dissing others rides Sad
the new owner is happy with his ride.

I agree. Facebook antics are for middle schoolers.
Stoked to see this thing with a Boxeer and trans-rebuild Exclamation
ok ok, maybe just...#onelesssprinter
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

jrcstudios wrote:
I got what I paid for.

hey, if you're happy that's all that matters. it just reinforces a statement i made in another thread about prospective buyers:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9528773#9528773

i have burnt 100.00 bills down to my fingertips tossing money at my wife's westy, i feel your pain...

should be a fun money pit when you're done. mine better be Laughing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this amazing van you married and your other wife Razz
I saw it at some point on FB I think.

A customer was at Sema last year to buy an air ride suspension for me to install.
He found one that he never got bc of Covid, and the company went bankrupt.
Tuff year.

I sent him to meet Burley and look at the van for me since there were no pics of the undercarriage at the time, he had no idea there was a Vanagon there Laughing

Here are the few pics he took, I wish he had done a better job at it but better than nothing Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
What's with all the Debbie Downers?

I counted over $20K in Burley parts, not counting any labor.

I wasn't going to say anything about that because I'm trying to just focus on the positive during these troubled times, but, yes, I was thinking that it's probably not the best to criticize a brand new forum member's purchase - especially when he's so obviously proud of it.

I do know that sometimes it's really easy to type out a reply and hit send, though, when you have a thought or opinion to give, and I'm sure that's all this was.

Last edited by D Clymer on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

Can’t wait to see how the project ends up. Don’t mind the nay sayers, seems like you are enjoying the van and project. Money has different values for everyone and getting a “steal” on a van doesn’t mean as much to some as it does to others. I think it’s crazy for folks to spend 140k on a sprinter revel, but if I made a lot more money it may seem reasonable. Let’s be honest, most people would say we are all dumb for investing the amount of time and money we have into these things. If Ide took the money and Time I’ve spent on my van over the last 7 years and invested in stock I could buy three vans now. But too many memories, like you are getting now.
Also there are really not a lot of other 4x4 capable vans available and even Syncro inventory seems low. Even old basic Ford quigly vans are asking 30k.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

I'm glad that van went to an enthusiast who's going to use it, upgrade it, abuse it, upgrade it again, and hopefully share lots of pics of projects and journeys along the way. Congratulations on joining the club!

For anybody talking about the money side of it, I'm reminded of several threads explaining why it's NOT a good idea to keep a spreadsheet of ongoing costs. Smile

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

I am ALL for it! Great buy imo. The van overall looks great, has arguably one of the best, if not the best suspension and undercarriage on it compared to a lot of other vans, let alone a Syncro. Also, you're not far off of pricing for a Syncro in that condition. Putting a Boxeer in it is only going to make it that much better. I'm all for it and am looking forward to seeing what happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Burley Motorsports SEMA van gets a Boxeer Ea288 TDI engine Reply with quote

If you are going to be towing with that Diesel engine I would suggest a very thorough transmission upgrade and rebuild: new gears, splash plates, cooling system, maybe even upgrades bearing retainer plate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: