Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roof Insulation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:
First five words were "Not gonna be a camper" and people lose their minds about vanlife Laughing

Some folks like talking more than conversing. This is just the electronic version. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

Rmax is fine dude. We are all bored and nitpicking the nuances of different insulation to use. Chances are our vans will be taken care of better for the next 40 years than the previous 40 as they get rarer and more cherished. I'd say the worst part about using the rmax is its rigidity making impossible to install tight to the metal with no trapped ish moist air pockets behind it.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
calvinater wrote:
If you eliminate any air space , there will be no where for condensation to form.
lol wut? If you have cold metal and humid warmer are inside, it will still form.

It still has condensation under there, you just don't SEE it. If you feel the insulation it will often be soggy.

theoretically it is possible to get a complete vapor barrier. realistically it's almost impossible to achieve. even manufacturers fail to achieve it.

In the building trades it is known as eliminating the cold condensing area.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

I decided to do a small test. I weighed a hunk of R-Max. Soaked it in a bowl of water for 19 hours. Weighed it again. Same weight.

So I would say R-max does not absorb water.

BEFORE
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DURING

AFTER

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:

all buses should be campers.

Smile

Very True!!

airschooled wrote:

Some folks like talking more than conversing. Laughing

Also very true
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

I wouldn't be that concerned about it soaking up water. I would be concerned about water wicking behind it and sitting there. Until you spend a night in a cold bus and wake up wit water all over everything on the shell you won't understand. See this rust? It is all from the inside out due to condensation inside layers in the top not drying out. It is a lot of work to get rid of it.

This is all from the inside out.

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
in the building trades it is known as eliminating the cold condensing area.

In the building trades you dont insulate a small portion of a couple if walls and ignore the areas that are really losing heat or allowing summer heat in . An IR camera easily shows it isnt the metal panels leaking our heat.

It is total waste of time.

There is a reason car manufacturers dont build cars like buildings.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
kens4um
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

I am trying to insulate the front of my bus and used fiberglass before with no problem. Last year I put on double bubble reflective insulation contact cement to metal roof which gave me a 7 degree cooler ceiling. I am going to look for condensation though I would think contact cement would keep the condensation from reaching the roof..will respond if I see trouble...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

Great rant, worthy of bookmarking...with one correction

Quote:
good bag can keep you comfortable well below zero real American degrees

Dutch, Polish-German origin. That’s aboutAmerican as you can get.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

It’s 35 degrees here this morning with insulation. Does this really matter since
It’s winter time? Probably the same in the bus/camper in my garage Rolling Eyes
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Roof Insulation Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
It’s 35 degrees here this morning with insulation. Does this really matter since
It’s winter time? Probably the same in the bus/camper in my garage Rolling Eyes

The original thought I had in the OP was more about the heat. The sun beaming down on the huge metal roof and side panels heating up the interior.

But like an insulated Thermos.... It keeps hot things hot and it keeps cold things cold.... "How do it know?"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: