Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowering with T-1 spindels.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
Oh, and one more question. What is the overall width difference between the stock barndoor beam and a beetle k&l beam? I am also going to consider modifying an early beetle beam to fit barndoor chassis so I can use beetle spindles to mount my 356 brakes.

I run 356 spindles and brakes on this with a stock BD beam. No need to swap to a beetle beam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
Thanks for posting the picture Mr. Warehouse. It helps me see the mods.

So these will fit on 55-63 bus front beam arms?

They will work on early arms.
I have spindles ready to bolt on if you need/want a set that are done.
I have 356 and T1 beetle. Whichever suits your needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

that is a terrific looking early truck ! loving the bias ply on white steelies over aluminium drums. perfect stance too!

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
that is a terrific looking early truck ! loving the bias ply on white steelies over aluminium drums. perfect stance too!

Thanks. I have a set of slotted 356 16's as well. I may run them instead. I'm still in the "mocking up" stages.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

These days it is very rare for people to run bias ply on steelies under a somewhat lowered bus ( I know yours is already severly lowered considering the tall tires). the pie-crust of bias ply tires just kills me all the time. I personally just don't like the looks of the average modern low cross section radial tires at all. Really refreshing to see your set up. imho the factory steelies work just great over the Porsche drums and without hubcaps. all serious business.

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
These days it is very rare for people to run bias ply on steelies under a somewhat lowered bus ( I know yours is already severly lowered considering the tall tires). the pie-crust of bias ply tires just kills me all the time. I personally just don't like the looks of the average modern low cross section radial tires at all. Really refreshing to see your set up. imho the factory steelies work just great over the Porsche drums and without hubcaps. all serious business.

I'm going the "Vintage Speed" route with a Porsche internal 1500cc 36hp based dual P-11 engine for power so, I wanted to keep the tire with the correct look as well. It took quite a while to find Firestone's that matched the rear in a "low profile"
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

They are probably 4.50/4.75 -16 Also use them on hotrods and going to put on my Barndoor project. it is not easy to cope with the tall tires on a lowered bus.

mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
They are probably 4.50/4.75 -16 Also use them on hotrods and going to put on my Barndoor project. it is not easy to cope with the tall tires on a lowered bus.

Correct.

Last edited by mr. warehouse on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
djfordmanjack wrote:

Correct.
I tried to post a photo but the Samba software didn't like toe URL

Post a link without making it an image link with [img]
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:

I run 356 spindles and brakes on this with a stock BD beam. No need to swap to a beetle beam.

Greg. Are those stock 15" rims with stock tyres? I like the look! I'm wondering if I can run stock 16s with stock tyres on a barndoor lowered with type 1 spindles and tubs? Has anyone done this? I'd live to see some pictures if they have please.

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

bally wrote:
mr. warehouse wrote:

Greg. Are those stock 15" rims with stock tyres? I like the look! I'm wondering if I can run stock 16s with stock tyres on a barndoor lowered with type 1 spindles and tubs? Has anyone done this? I'd live to see some pictures if they have please.

Cheers. Dave

They are stock 16's with stock tires in the rear and smaller tires in the front.

I've switched it up a bit since that photo. It's now running a hybrid dropped spinde setup with 16x5.5's and low profile radials.

I was waiting on tires when I took this photo

Fronts on, still tweaking the rear.

My point being, if you're looking for stock tires. I have the stock rears and smaller front that were on this single cab earlier. I may even have 4x stock sized tires available.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, it looks great on those stock 16s and bias plus. I'm aiming for using coker's new bias look radials. I assume you used the smaller front Tyres to avoid rubbing? The Coker Tyres are about 17mm (3/4") taller than your fronts soba mild tub should sort that out.

Cheers. Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

bally wrote:
Thanks Greg, it looks great on those stock 16s and bias plus. I'm aiming for using coker's new bias look radials. I assume you used the smaller front Tyres to avoid rubbing? The Coker Tyres are about 17mm (3/4") taller than your fronts soba mild tub should sort that out.

Cheers. Dave

Correct, smaller front tires to avoid rubbing. My new set up is 6" of bolt-on drop at the spindles. Still a factory VW barndoor beam. I will be doing a minimal tub as well to clear the low profile 16" tires.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

Last photos before tucking it away in storage and ultimately selling...

Dropped T1 spindles with a 4" narrowed/adjustable "stock" barndoor beam.

The new owner has since finished it off and has been cruising it with no issues. Plenty of photos and videos can be found on IG
johnny d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

sits pretty awesome Greg!
&
VWKernzentrale since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

What discs are people using with type 1 spindle conversions? Type 1 discs?

Many thanks,

Dave
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

bally wrote:

Many thanks,

Dave

Correct.
There are plenty of off-the-shelf 5x205 kits that work.
For 5x130 I use my own kit, as seen here.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Lowering with T-1 spindels. Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
bally wrote:

Many thanks,

Dave

Correct.
There are plenty of off-the-shelf 5x205 kits that work.
For 5x130 I use my own kit, as seen here.

Thanks Greg. I’m after 5x205 Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: