Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

Hi Members,

I am trying to put my trunk lid back on the car but the trunk hinges are hitting the top of my air filters. I have a 3 1/2 inches filters. Currently the hinge springs are sitting at the second hole from the bottom. Someone told me that I can move the spring where when you close, the spring will stop at certain point.

So, here are some options I am thinking of:

1) Move the spring like up to the top hole. This may give the clearance. But when I move one side, it looks like the hinge is up higher than before. Will this raise the trunk lid up when it fully close? Is this a the right way to get clearance?

2) Or buy the rectangle air filters with 2 1/2 filters and don't install the chrome velocity stacks?

3) Or buy another round filters like from JBugs which has 5.5" diameter and 2" high but I measured my current filters and they have 5" ID and 6" OD. Will this work?

I am sure some members out there with Ghia and have installed dual air filters before. Thank you in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

Struts are a fairly common solution.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Duncan67KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

I went for the struts as well...

I ordered the parts from Mcmaster-Carr

bt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250851&start=80

Check out page 5.

I cut my springs (It's been about 9 years without them being a problem) after having the struts.

C21darrel links to a very simple option
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

Try moving them up a hole and see what you get. I have a friend with 2 Ghias that he ran without springs for 20 years, only recently find that installing the stock springs in a higher hole gave him the clearance needed. It might not work for your application, but costs nothing but time to try.

I did the same as bt on mine - removed 7/8" from the springs (and have them in a higher hole). Also had to removed 5/8' from the air cleaner. Not the simplest approach, but I was going for a vintage speed look and didn't want to use struts.

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

If you want to go with the gas struts this is a topic from the "How To" stickies: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=250851
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

I too installed struts but kind of wished I did this...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1808184

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

I just let it rest on the the velocity stack. So far, no harm, no foul. I was going to suggest Gary Bergs solution that Kingkarmann posted.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

Not the greatest pictures and the carbs are 45 Dells on a 2276 so I don’t know if what I did will work for your HMPX carbs.
The original air cleaners that came with the carbs interfered with the passenger side hinge only. For a while I just took that one spring off and used a painting pole to prop the lid open when I needed to. On my refresh I wanted a more elegant solution so I ordered short stacks and air cleaner elements.
I may have given up a couple of horsepower but the lid opens and closes as it should with no interference.
I thought about struts but I didn’t want to punch holes in my body.
I never even knew about those weird little aftermarket clips spring things. I’m not even sure how those would work do they just kind of turned backwards and that holds the lid open and then we’ve got to do some finagling to get it closed?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Not the greatest pictures and the carbs are 45 Dells on a 2276 so I don’t know if what I did will work for your HMPX carbs.
The original air cleaners that came with the carbs interfered with the passenger side hinge only. For a while I just took that one spring off and used a painting pole to prop the lid open when I needed to. On my refresh I wanted a more elegant solution so I ordered short stacks and air cleaner elements.
I may have given up a couple of horsepower but the lid opens and closes as it should with no interference.
I thought about struts but I didn’t want to punch holes in my body.
I never even knew about those weird little aftermarket clips spring things. I’m not even sure how those would work do they just kind of turned backwards and that holds the lid open and then we’ve got to do some finagling to get it closed?

I also did the same as jeffery8164. probably 25 years ago. never had a probplem since.
kdnguyen61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trunk hinge problem with EMPI Dual HPMX Reply with quote

All Members,

Thank you all for the information. I moved the spring to the top hole of the hinges and I barely have enough clearance without hitting the top of air filter especially the passenger side. Just for anyone future reading, I have a 3 1/2 inches tall air filters with 5"ID and 6"OD for 44 HPMX.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: