Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ben edwards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Notchboy, thanks for reply!
Would you have any suggestions for pre made door cards
That I can transfer original vinyl onto?
Thanks, Ben
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

ben edwards wrote:
Thanks, Ben

Maybe make some or call TMI and see if you can get a blank set to glue your OG ones onto.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

ben edwards wrote:
Thanks, Ben

We wet down door cards and pressed them flat again under plywood/cinder blocks on our lawn for a week.
You can then reuse them or use them for patterns.
Someone tried to buy blank door cards from TMI recently & got ignored I believe.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flightofphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

This is my 67 Fastback, it was originally L41 black with india red interior. The PO tried to do a copy of a pigalle interior, I believe. I don't particularly like the seat covers. I cannot find a pic of what the stock india red interior would have looked like. I would like to find one and then see if TMI or any other company would have an interior kit to copy the original interior.

Anyone have info that can help me?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Yeah, hard to discern from Pigalle.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

need some help identifying my interior cloth. fastback, model year 69 with high backed seats. exterior colour is L90C.

can't find what's in my car in the colour combo archive page, there are no photos for that year. the cloth is named '22 Platimum Grid 69'.

using my spectacular powers of deduction i'm guessing that's what's in my car, can anyone confirm? here's a pic of a non faded part under the seat back:

next fun part will be trying to source cloth. searched the interwebs, no luck so far. at this point i'm considering one of the ubiquitous beetle fabrics, or a non vw upholstery cloth. vinyl is not an option for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m new to this Type 3 game, I just picked up a Swedish import 1963 Notchback N model in original Anthracite grey paint (mostly). Most of the original interior is there and intact with the exception of the drivers backrest and a couple of small imperfections. I’ve gone through this whole thread and grasped a lot of very useful information but I also noticed that I am very late to the party after seeing the span of the years this topic has covered. There was talk about reproducing that original Salt & Pepper interior (as pictured below) but noticed that the talks had died off about 3 pages back. I’m on the hunt for some of that particular upholstery to try preserve my car as much as possible. Any leads and help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to the knowledgeable sources willing to share their research and thoughts and also thanks to whom ever started this thread, it’s been very helpful thus far.
DONGKG wrote:
Gizmobob wrote:
Reproduced Salt and Pepper Interior in my Notch

Who reproduced that one, buddy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

That is also the same interior my 63 Notch should have. Only remaining part of it is the rear seat and that was hiding under a cover. Also Anthracite originally.

But I'm also a T3 noob, but had air-cooled bugs and buses for over 30 years.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Well its good to see you noobs in on it asking the right questions. The material was produced twice afaik.

That first batch is long gone. Im not 100% sure who made the second or if there is any left. This is specialty high end stuff gents. Requiring thousands up front for a roll of this stuff, then you have to wait 2 maybe 3 years to see it sometimes.

This is true for the T3 61-63 salt & pepper as well as those now getting into the T34 stuff 61-65. Quality, accurate interiors for the ghias are north of 2k. Thats if you had the material in the first place.

All I can say for now, as its all I know at the moment till someone else chimes in is, when and if you see the material come up for sale, open your wallet and buy it.

Not so long ago - 2004 when I took this pic, we had to get buy with pieces from other cars to make one scab interior. People shat their pants to see all this salt & pepper in one place. Now you get the uber immaculate like the new interior above in Bobs notch.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

I saw in Pedro's T34 thread when he recently received his fabric, after waiting 4 years. His car is already beautiful but still getting a re-do.

In all honesty My car will never see that level of restoration. At least not while I own it. I could never have that cloth in a car I drive. And I would drive it... I'm always in the shop and never clean enough to get within 10 feet of it.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

vwpieces wrote:
I saw in Pedro's T34 thread when he recently received his fabric, after waiting 4 years. His car is already beautiful but still getting a re-do.

In all honesty My car will never see that level of restoration. At least not while I own it. I could never have that cloth in a car I drive. And I would drive it... I'm always in the shop and never clean enough to get within 10 feet of it.

Pedro is the reason we have the fabric for the T34's. As well as the insane detailed interiors for them. He is a serious stickler for detail when he restores. After being into these cars - T3's specifically and T34's, with the lack of new parts at a low, innovation and reproduction seem to be kicking in to help all out.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Wow, we have similar cars and similar stories. I’ve had lots of different VW’s over a span of 25 years but I’ve always wanted a Notchback and this one was too good to pass up. I’m very glad to see this thread still staying active after my first post earlier today. Notchboy, once again excellent information coming from you. I’m trying to get as much schooling as I can from my buddy TJ Ward here in San Antonio, I remember when you were down here and your name still comes up in our discussions. I understand that we might have to go in pretty deep to get some of the OG stuff and I’m down for that. I don’t really need much but would have no problem buying extra as well. I’ve also done a little research of my own on the topic here and found through another source of mine that Type 3 Headquarters in the UK stocks this particular material from time to time, though currently they don’t have any on hand. I personally was hoping there was a source here in the US.

vwpieces wrote:
That is also the same interior my 63 Notch should have. Only remaining part of it is the rear seat and that was hiding under a cover. Also Anthracite originally.

But I'm also a T3 noob, but had air-cooled bugs and buses for over 30 years.
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
Notchboy, once again excellent information coming from you. I’m trying to get as much schooling as I can from my buddy TJ Ward here in San Antonio, I remember when you were down here and your name still comes up in our discussions.

Who is TJ?

Wink Laughing Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Here’s some pictures of my OG interior:

vwpieces
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Very cool Joel. I saw all the empty img quotes and looked you up for pics of the car. Nice and yes it is very similar. Mine is MPH, but has pop outs, push button and the rear seat armrest. Hope you got Boxes full of goodies with it. Stuff not easy to source.
81 Turbo Diesel Jabbit
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

Thanks, I’m working on it the stuff needed to complete the car but starting to run short of money to invest in the car at the moment. I’m trying to forfeit as much to the car as I can at the moment but I’m afraid I might have to put aside for a little bit. We’ll see how it goes though, I’m super excited about the car and all the things I find out about Type 3’s.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
Thanks, I’m working on it the stuff needed to complete the car but starting to run short of money to invest in the car at the moment. I’m trying to forfeit as much to the car as I can at the moment but I’m afraid I might have to put aside for a little bit. We’ll see how it goes though, I’m super excited about the car and all the things I find out about Type 3’s.

Thats a lot of notch right there with lots of the right bits. Just needs that TLC. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
I’m new to this Type 3 game, I just picked up a Swedish import 1963 Notchback N model in original Anthracite grey paint (mostly). Most of the original interior is there and intact with the exception of the drivers backrest and a couple of small imperfections. I’ve gone through this whole thread and grasped a lot of very useful information but I also noticed that I am very late to the party after seeing the span of the years this topic has covered. There was talk about reproducing that original Salt & Pepper interior (as pictured below) but noticed that the talks had died off about 3 pages back. I’m on the hunt for some of that particular upholstery to try preserve my car as much as possible. Any leads and help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to the knowledgeable sources willing to share their research and thoughts and also thanks to whom ever started this thread, it’s been very helpful thus far.
DONGKG wrote:
Gizmobob wrote:
Reproduced Salt and Pepper Interior in my Notch

Who reproduced that one, buddy?

SMS Fabric in Oregon
Still have this fabric in STOCK
50 yards are available
By the time somebody else read this
I won’t know how much left

Just email SMS with a picture of this salt & pepper
😁
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
joel55bug wrote:
Notchboy, once again excellent information coming from you. I’m trying to get as much schooling as I can from my buddy TJ Ward here in San Antonio, I remember when you were down here and your name still comes up in our discussions.

Who is TJ?

Wink Laughing Laughing

Yep, that would be him.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Guide to Original Type 3 Interior, Post 'em Reply with quote

How many yards does it take to reproduce a stock interior? Don’t want to order more than my fair share leaving others without.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: