Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Death Valley & The Great Conjunction
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

This year the Winter Solstice (Shortest Day of the Year) coincided with the Great Conjunction, the closest Jupiter & Saturn would align, from our perspective, since 1263. One of the nearest Dark Sky Places to Southern California is Death Valley.

I paid some attention to the Van, Cindy prepped meals for a couple days. We packed the telescope and headed East. I had already been to DVNP in 2018 solo, through Ridgecrest, up 395 and East on 190 through Stovepipe Wells. This time, we stayed on the 15 towards Vegas, jumping off on 127 North out of Baker. Hour and a half or so to Shoshone, then West on 178 into the Park.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Off 178 East of Death Valley. The camera's level. We'd pulled a u-ey to climb up to a cave.

Campgrounds in Death Valley are closed due to Covid-19. Our plan was to dispersed camp on BLM land outside the Park Boundary. I had downloaded info for a few sites from freecampsites.net. One referred to dispersed spots inside the Park. Turns out there's a gravel road, West Side Road, about 40 miles long that runs, oddly enough, on the West side of DV. There are gravel trails, some requiring high clearance vehicles, that run West up into side canyons. The signs say, "No Camping Within One Mile of Road, No Open Fires". Prime Westy country.

First night, we set up the telescope and had a good time tracking our two target planets off to the Southwest just up from the horizon.

The shot's from my Galaxy S8 phone camera. Little bit of "shutter" lag stretches the planets. Both are clearly visible. Through the telescope, you could see the rings of Saturn and 3 of Jupiter's moons.

Next day, Winter Solstice, was ,for me, New Year's Eve. Shortest Day of the Year, the days start getting longer up to Spring Equinox. Happy Winter!

We toured the Park, starting with a drive-thru at Badwater Basin, Lowest Spot in the US at 282 feet Below Sea Level. Too many people too close. We got out of the Van and took a hike at the first pull out on Artist's Drive.

Artist's Drive. Death Valley in the background.

We drove around to various stops in the Park, making our way up to Dante's View.
Dante's View looking Northwest. Badwater Basin in the foreground.

The night of the 21st we set up the scope again, tracking the conjunction. When we climbed into bed, I could see Orion rising in the East. I woke up periodically during the night, watching Orion's progress across the night sky out the back window of the Van.

A Great Two-Day Trip. I wear a mask and gloves when we stop for gas, Cindy stays in the Van. That's as close as we get to people on the Road. Hand sanitizer and wipes as needed.

Jupiter & Saturn are still visible in the night sky to the Southwest as of this writing. Refer to my photo for position above the horizon about 6 pm.

Happy Trails and Be Safe

Dan

Last edited by shadetreemech on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Man I want to explore the Death Valley area so bad! Jealous.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

What a wonderland! I've done many century and double century rides through there. Also attempted the Furnace Creek 508 a few times, anyone know of it?
Love the pictures1 Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
What a wonderland! I've done many century and double century rides through there. Also attempted the Furnace Creek 508 a few times, anyone know of it?
Love the pictures1 Thanks for sharing.

I've done a double century years ago but not in Death Valley! I rode from Seattle down to Portland in a day.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Also jealous...it's been overcast here for most of a week, plus 11" snow just today... Rolling Eyes Wink

Nice little report! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Here is a picture I took from near Oatman, AZ on the evening of the 18th after a hike in the Black Mts.

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

There ya go.

Nice Shot.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Thanks
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Great trip and photos- love the Westy/Astronomy Conjunction
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lcolon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Been to death valley many times. One of my favorite places in CA. Highly recommended. Although every time I have been there it has been with my toyota land cruiser so I could pound all the off road trails.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Cool!

What type of telescope you running ?
Irishcalifornian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Beautiful!
Amazing how similar the terrain looks just like Borrego Springs, where I live.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

markz2004 wrote:
What type of telescope you running ?

We've got an "entry level" Celestron Travel Scope 70 Portable.

https://www.celestron.com/products/travel-scope-70-portable-telescope

Comes in a day pack.

Like a lot of other things, you can trade up as far as you want.

Dan
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

You should have put the camera up to the eyepiece of the telescope! Next time. It would have been cool to see the rings and the moons.

I've taken some decent pics of the moon that way.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

really nice trip report and pics shadetreemech! thanks for sharing

I’m glad to hear you were able to make it out to BLM land to see the conjunction. I thought public lands had closed with the last lockdown but that must have been wrong.
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

erste wrote:
I thought public lands had closed with the last lockdown but that must have been wrong.

I got my info from BLM California's webpage:

https://www.blm.gov/site-page/blm-california-covid-19-updates

Scroll down to see the separate District Office specific closures and guidelines.

Happy Trails & Be Safe.

Dan
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Was there over Thanksgiving week.
Went north from DV Junction out to Crankshaft Junction, over the top to Eureka Valley Dunes. Camped there, then north west to Big Pine.
I'll post a couple pics, later.

Great place to socially distance.

Love DV!

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Was there over Thanksgiving week.
Went north from DV Junction out to Crankshaft Junction, over the top to Eureka Valley Dunes. Camped there, then north west to Big Pine.
I'll post a couple pics, later.

Great place to socially distance.

Love DV!

Glad you are getting out. I'll check in with you next time I am out your way.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

See you again , Jupiter-Saturn in 800 years...
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Valley & The Great Conjunction Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
See you again , Jupiter-Saturn in 800 years...

Actually only 80 years. Laughing It has been a long while since the last one but not so long until the next. See you there....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: