Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan Reply with quote

I had to weld in some quarter pans. I drilled holes around the edges of the patches and made some spot or puddle welds there. The patches were laid on top of the pans and overlap a bit. My question is how to handle the edges. Should I prime and brush on seam sealer then paint or would the metalized epoxy like USC all metal work well there? That could be sanded smooth and would look better but I’m afraid it would crack. It’s my first time doing this. Thanks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759868&highlight=
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan Reply with quote

A butt joint there would have been best. It would naturally keep moisture from gaining access. In lieu of that, a seam sealer is the alternative. Gob it on there, prime it and paint.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan Reply with quote

I load up the areas with master series on both sides. Then epoxy prime. When I did my floor pans I didn’t bother doing seam sealer either. I used a lot of master series and then bed liner.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan Reply with quote

Grind the edges, master series, seam sealer both sides, then paint.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan Reply with quote

POR patch is some great product for this as well. Comes in a tube, squeezes out like paste and you can finger it (wear gloves) or brush it on each side of the seam. Drys harder than mummy’s nuts yet remains a bit flexible. Has a hundred different uses as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan Reply with quote

thank you very much each of you for your replies, very helpful!! and appreciated. Im just waiting for another quart of master series primer. That stuff hardens in a few days once you open it. It is pretty bullet proof on whatever you paint it on however. Once the welded in sections and seams are re-primed I will seam seal and put a couple coats of herculiner on the bottom. The top will have sound deadener. thanks again.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Treatment of edges of repair panels welded into pan Reply with quote

Update. I did the pan repairs mentioned in this thread earlier. I cut out the cancer. I place the repair panels on top of the cut outs, overlapping a bit where possible for extra strength. I don't have the skill to cut and butt weld all this nicely. I sprayed weld through primer on all the edges involved, welded patches in. On the bottom I used steel reinforced epoxy, ground it flat, master series silver, then herculiner. On the top, master series silver, then seam sealer, then master series black epoxy, then sound deadener. Pictures in sequence below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: