Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I couldn't find any reports after 2015… Anybody use these on a bus? They seem to tick all the boxes…

https://www.prioritytire.com/victorun-vr922c-195r14-106-104r-d-8-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire/

Nice high load rating. How many percent taller is a 195 than 185? got a diameter? Just wondered about gearing.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

45-70bpcr wrote:
richparker wrote:
I love mine, they offer a good ride on and off road. I even use then on my Frontier. I got mine for $471 shipped off eBay, no rebate tho. Local shop charged me $75 to mount them, but I only brought them the rims and tires. That $75 was for 5 tires as a bought them a 185r14c Hankook to install as my spare, I wanted it to fit in the spare tire well in the back.

Ya $75 is about the going rate around here for 4 mount and balances. If you can take the abuse the harbor freight tire mounter pays for itself pretty quickly. There is a satisfaction of mounting them yourself too.

I just bought 5 Hankook Vantra's for my '69 bus and used the POS Harbor Freight tire mounting tool to mount them. My wheels are the wide five pattern, at first I thought I couldn't use it because of the big hole in the wheel. I eventually used a old wheel adapter to make it work...I lag bolted my machine to a pallet. They work if your willing to put in the effort (literally) and have some experence mounting tires. I polished the working ends of the bar and that seemed to help. I didn't have any way to balance them, so I took them to Discount Tire and they broke it off in my ass $60 for the balance. At first they said they couldn't do it, but one employee suggested using a mandrel for 1 ton trucks and it bearly had enough diameter to catch the wheel.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!

Last edited by rugblaster on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Yeah those mandrels are just big enough to get the job done. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Nice high load rating. How many percent taller is a 195 than 185? got a diameter? Just wondered about gearing.

I have 185R14 Westlake tires, used, at 25” diameter, and new Hankook Vantra 195R14, new, at 26”. It is quite a difference for the same rims.
I think the Westlake’s would be 25 1/4” when new, approximately.

I have to say that I measured roughly, and these are 2 different brands, but it gives an idea.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Yeah those mandrels are just big enough to get the job done. Smile

just as an FYI since that is a great photo. When a lug nut is over tightened it expands tha area between the lugnut hole and the center of the wheel. If the lug nuts are done with an air gun where the tightening is uneven then the peninsulas between the lugnut and the center opening are uneven so the tire is no longer centered when it is mounted on a tire balancer You'll never get a tire when that happens balanced because a tire where the steel is deformed then the tire is off center in the machine. The fix is to use your digital calipers to measure between the edge of the lug nut and the edge of the steel at the center on each lugnut, then file the ones that are wider so that the lugnut holes are all equal distance from where the wheel balancing cone will center in the wheel. Then you'll get a good balance. Took me years to figure that out. Also if a car has mags that use lug bolts, the tires won't run a true as using studs, and lug nuts. A new car won't have as many issues balancing as an older steel wheeled car that has been on and off many times with an air gun. Many shops today use a torque wrench to finish the tightening. Not so in the 70's thru 90's. They just hammered on them with the air gun which deformed the wheel.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

You could use ON CAR balancer.
Good thing is that with 60-70mph normal cruising speed, tire balance is less of a concern.
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

We had a spin balancer at a VW stealership I worked at. There is a learning curve to those and I doubt if some of the brain-dead imbiciles at Discount Tire could master it. Spin balancers and bubble balancers are relegated to the dust bin of automotive history. If I had either one, I'd have done it myself. Computer balancers are probably the best. I cringe every time I have to go to Discount Tire.

One of these days I'll write a book about me and Discount Tire. And I still give them money.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Mentioned before, I have pretty good luck mounting with a real rubber headed tire hammer.
Now I can afford it I suppose I should buy at least some type of a tire machine.
Not sure where to go with that, short of spending $3000. Which will not happen.
Vanagons:
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Mentioned before, I have pretty good luck mounting with a real rubber headed tire hammer.
Now I can afford it I suppose I should buy at least some type of a tire machine.
Not sure where to go with that, short of spending $3000. Which will not happen.

I bought one of these rim clamp changers several years back, sure it’s an offshore machine, but it works.

https://www.nhproequip.com/phoenix-pwc-2950-tire-changer

I’ve also been very satisfied with balancing my wide five tire/wheel combos with Counter Act balancing beads, 3oz per tire for our sizes. Just tear a corner off a 3oz bag and toss them in the tire before mounting. The kits do come with a bottle and small length of tubing to funnel the beads in through the valve stem as well.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Maybe some of you want whitewalls. Here ya go:

https://callitw.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_4&product_id=145

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
so I took them to Discount Tire and they broke it off in my ass $60 for the balance..

that's cheap. i get 20/ea to balance. mount and balance is 40. if you have stick on weights its 60 each for a balance.

if you own wide 5's and don't have the adapter you really should. i was lucky enough to come across one that i will probably never use again

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
snapped
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I went to my local discount tires to check out some general grabber A/Ts. they actually had an adapter to balance the wheels, but they would not mount the tires to a wheel under 6 inches. Is there a stock style wheel that works? Is this something tire stores are starting to do for liability reasons? I have a 69 sc.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

snapped wrote:
I went to my local discount tires to check out some general grabber A/Ts. they actually had an adapter to balance the wheels, but they would not mount the tires to a wheel under 6 inches. Is there a stock style wheel that works? Is this something tire stores are starting to do for liability reasons? I have a 69 sc.

I’ve read this from several posters. For the reason you stated some shops won’t mount the tires. The 27x8.5 fit without any issues, if you want them go to another shop.

The local shop I deal with was unable to get them for me. So I ordered them off eBay and brought them in with just the rims. They were mounted without any questions or issues.

Good luck!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Sjoerdvleugel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Just got some new A/T offroad tires for my T2a 1968 Deluxe!

Malatesta 195/75 R14 Kobra Trac NT for a reasonable 88 Euro per tire.
Most importantly they look awesome, they drive quite good and don't rub riding on standard suspension. They do make more rolling noise versus standard tires obviously.

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Those are some nasty looking treads, I like.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Malatesta?

Bad head?

Sick head?
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
fatmatt650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Pretty sure I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Grabbers for my '72 camper to replace the tired out Vancos I've been running for about 10ish years now. From what I gather - similar crosswind performance, lower gas mileage (10%ish?), slightly more road noise but not too bothersome, about 3/4" taller so speedo and odo will be off a bit. This sound about right?

72 Highroof
86 Scirocco
"So much to do...so little time."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

^I run the 27x8.5 Grabber ATX. My Speedo is accurate, I don’t have any extra road noise and I get the same gas mileage. In my bus that 16-17 in town and 20-21 on the highway. I run them the at 35 psi and personally I thing the ride is excellent.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
fatmatt650
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
^I run the 27x8.5 Grabber ATX. My Speedo is accurate, I don’t have any extra road noise and I get the same gas mileage. In my bus that 16-17 in town and 20-21 on the highway. I run them the at 35 psi and personally I thing the ride is excellent.

That's excellent to hear. I've been agonizing over this. Thanks for the review.
72 Highroof
86 Scirocco
"So much to do...so little time."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

melville wrote:
Bad head?

It can't be that. There's no such thing as bad head.... only good or great. It's the same with pizza.

I see those on eBay. it appears those are retreads.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 188, 189, 190 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 189 of 198

Jump to: