Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock Conversation for a 74 Super German Retro Looker......
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock Conversation for a 74 Super German Retro Looker...... Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I think those will only work in a stock height strut housing though. If I'm not mistaken koni makes something that does fit the lowered struts but you need to make up a centering bushing or something? I need to dig through old threads on shoptalk forums to find the diy someone did. I forget the original application.

Yeah the Koni’s for the Supers are for stock struts.

My understanding is that the early Topline adjustable shorter housings used late 70’s Rabbit inserts since they were shorter. Any time I tried to find out if a stock replacement Koni Rabbit insert would work, no one knew.

I will say, after thinking a customer was silly for spending $500+ on Koni’s for a lowered Bay Bus, it was the smoothest, nicest riding Bus I had ever driven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shock Conversation for a 74 Super German Retro Looker. Koni. Reply with quote

Yea, those are the prices I have been finding, so as it was said, like $500 for all the way around after shipping and all, maybe more, lol..

The thing is you don't want a shock that "Packs-Up" into the stroke, why I wondering if I should just go with Excell -G's for now... I am running them on the rear already and there new. And to have a balanced car, you are suppose to run both front and rear with the same vescocity to a point, is what is said.. This is like matching tire's treads, when the car brakes loose, it is thought of to be at an extreme situation... RB

p.s. By the way, I am running Kumo performance tires, they have great handling and a great predictability for they are made of a nice compound, for dry & wet conditions.... More or less I am working on getting the car to perform like a 911, rear carving the turns and all do to the car's balance...

Last edited by RailBoy on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Conversation for a 74 Super German Retro Looker...... Reply with quote

The Koni Bus stuff is a little more expensive than the Beetle stuff. If you go for the Koni stuff, wait for a promotional sale. The last rear IRS Beetle shocks I got were $80 each shipped off eBay when the regular price was around $109. Summit usually follows their sales, and $100+ gets free shipping. Summit a lot of times drop ships stuff from the manufacturer, so you may have to wait 2-6 weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Shock Conversation for a 74 Super German Retro Looker...... Reply with quote

Been doing some thinking and put a call into a person that simply put, for he has expierence at Lowered Supers is that for the street, with matching sway bars Excell G's work really well for there performance plus price range.

What he did make the point of is a "matched" set of sway bars front and rear are most important, for the car is balanced threw obsticals when lateral movements in the car occur bathing the road's contour.

So, with this in mind he went into running "matching" sets of shocks front and rear which of course means the front and rear will be balanced pertaining to "responsiveness". So, you can go with a nice oil if you do not push the car in turns and all, or if you are aggressive, really the pick of the shock and matching terrain and driver's needs, it is up to the angle one is trying to achieve with there car.

He did hit on this. Some shocks are simply to stiff for a light car. And at I guess what he meant, 2,250 lbs. is light to him.

See, on this note I ran a Street Rail for like 35 years of my life. And in the end, it was "Ripped". Balanced shocks, bearing front end in perfect working order. Matched Tires, IRS rear and some wide ass tires. By the way, this car I considered light, at about 1,100 lbs and could do 0-60 in under 4 seconds...

So, guess I do have some expirence at it, but I do like to "test" things and like to learn what to "test" like most all.. Thanks for y'all's time and input. RB

p.s. To add we did hit on the "Packing Up" Effect and he had mentioned that the GR 2's may not on chatter bumps while maybe Reds do. Thing is the defection you need to take into account were you drive..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: