Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Buy a Car Listed Here
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterChristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Hi Guys n Gals,

I've reached a point where the seller has answered most questions, and I've seen most of the pictures I need to see to feel comfortable about making a deal. The car is 1,100 miles from where I am and I've got a vehicle transportation service ready to pick it up. The problem is that the seller won't agree to ship unless I pay in full first, through Venmo. I asked whether I could put down a $500 deposit to show my commitment and have the seller mail the signed title to me. Then send the rest once the car was loaded on the truck.

I don't feel comfortable sending full payment with nothing to show for it on my end, any advice from people who have successfully negotiated?

Basically, i'm hoping to complete the deal without either party feeling like they are giving too much to make that happen...

thanks-
Chris
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

You don’t get the title until you pay in full

It’s that simple.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Road trip.

I wouldn't buy a car without seeing it in person

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MisterChristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Good Food for Thought- Thanks
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

I wouldnt pay through venmo

I also wouldnt let a shipper near my house until paid in full and cleared, either wire or cashiers check and I'm cashing it at their bank
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Venmo but you're going to have to pay the guy before you get a title. I usually use and accept a bank check. I always send my payment by registered mail and request the seller send the title the same. Should not be a problem...we're talking thousands of dollars. I also have the sellers phone# and he has mine. I request he let me know when the title is mailed and request a photo when the vehicle is loaded and on it's way (carriers numbers etc.-lots of time the jobs get farmed out by big shippers). I know it is hard to send lots of money to someone you don't know, but if you want to play, you have to pay.
Glenn's advice however is the best. If you can, go see it and do things in person
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

call him. make sure it legit. if you have the time, and a truck, you will be better off. pictures can only show you so much.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Don't follow in other peoples footsteps and buy a car sight un seen. A trip to see it would be the cheapest money spent.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

I have sold two vehicles to out of state buyers with just pictures and phone conversations.
Titles sent after receiving payment.
MisterChristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Thank you all for your perspective, it is helpful.
-Chris
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Paypal has an escrow service. It's fee is based on dollar amount. For $15k it's $188 fee as an example.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
appetite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

As a fellow Jersey boy I know full well that most vintage VW purchases in our part of the country will be from the west coast. I can speak from experience that you should see your vehicle in person before you buy. Or, alternatively, hire a reputable and trusted set of eyes to do a pre-purchase inspection for you. There are great resources here on the samba for that service.
MisterChristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

appetite wrote:
As a fellow Jersey boy I know full well that most vintage VW purchases in our part of the country will be from the west coast. I can speak from experience that you should see your vehicle in person before you buy. Or, alternatively, hire a reputable and trusted set of eyes to do a pre-purchase inspection for you. There are great resources here on the samba for that service.

Thank you, the research continues with Lemon Squad, and with UShip and other Vehicle Transportation Services. Thanks also for the escrow tip with PayPal. We'll see how the negotiating goes...
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Do not ever pay for a high-dollar item through Venmo unless the seller has a verified business account. The reason Venmo charges no fees for personal use is its blatant lack of protection for either party. PayPal charges ~4% because it pays for their buyer and seller protection services. Venmo does not, unless the seller has a business account.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

I'm not super familiar with Venmo but someone random wanted to use it with me and it specifically says it's for personal payments only.

People you know.
I said No.

Don't sell a car via Paypal either, they can dispute it later if there is an issue.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I'm not super familiar with Venmo but someone random wanted to use it with me and it specifically says it's for personal payments only.

People you know.
I said No.

Don't sell a car via Paypal either, they can dispute it later if there is an issue.

Good to know.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Venmo Is A No Reply with quote

You actually believe it is “ reasonable “ to expect a Seller to
release possession of a vehicle to you and have it get loaded
onto a trailer with a deposit Rolling Eyes

Nope Idea

A vehicle does not transfer physical possession without payment in full

Venmo - PayPal along with any other money handling service is a no go

Folks contact me every day wanting a transport quote for “ what if “ scenarios

I tell them to contact an auto transport broker because
I haul vehicles folks own - not vehicles they might purchase

I can’t schedule transport and build a trip to pick up
a vehicle someone might buy

Bank wire transfer is the standard in lieau of face to face cash

If you don’t want to pay for a vehicle until it is picked up - go get it yourself
and drive it or trailer it yourself

If you don’t trust the Seller then do not buy the vehicle
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

I've bought several vehicles from Samba folks; sometimes because of an ad and sometimes because of behind the scenes messages. They have all been long-time members. Phone calls with detailed discussions and LOTS of detailed photos have never been a problem. Neither has getting a copy of their DL, title to the car, and photos of VINs. Deposits via Paypal have happened but balance has always been via bank wire transfer - and always before the car is picked up for shipping. What seller that's legit or in their right mind would let a car go before receipt of the full payment? Once the wire transfer has been made and receipt has been confirmed, the seller overnights the title and BoS. I've yet to have an issue following this protocol. And I've sold several cars that way, too.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Ive had a PPI done and when I got the report the mechanic held the car until it was picked up by the transport service. They charged me a fee of 125$ to hold the car for three days but it was a little more secure in my mind that there were eyes on the vehicle after the sale was made and it was a third party acting in my behalf. He even confirmed the vin no on the title and sent a pic with car on transport vehicle as it left his lot.

Basically I transferred the payment to seller and he left the car with the mechanic who facilitated loading it on the transport.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to Buy a Car Listed Here Reply with quote

Only a fool would give up the title without having full payment in hand. So the seller is protecting himself. But you can protect yourself as well.
Go see the car and close the deal in person.

I bought a Ghia from a Long time Samba Member over a year ago. They seller is an expert in the field. I spent several hours on the phone with him and he even had a very detailed website documenting the restoration of the car. I was nervous about the large amount and did a lot of research on the seller, some even here on TheSamba. I consider myself a very careful buyer, but I also recognize that I can get a bit gullible when excited about a Ghia! Embarassed

Well, I got taken. Never, I seriously mean NEVER, trust pictures. There's was lots of issues that the photos did not reveal. The "Newly Painted" Ghia had to be stripped to bare metal and repainted. Good car but I paid way too much. If I had seen the car in person I would never have paid what I did. The seller knew very well that the car was not as he described.

He misrepresented another car sold on this site, at the same time as I made my purchase, so it seems to be his way!

Bottom line is if you have any reservations, no matter how small, listen to your gut. Go see the car and close the deal in person.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: