Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you still have the stock engine in your Vanagon?
Yes
52%
 52%  [ 69 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 131

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
I'm a little confused on the safety issue. I can easily go 70 on the freeway, and up a (very) steep grade maybe I go down to 35.

in case you missed it:

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
livethevanlife wrote:
I dont buy the speed equals safety argument, but then again I no longer live in California.

really? you should talk to Manny about that:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8058262#8058262

he and his passenger got cleaned the fuck up bad...

vino de vano wrote:
I enjoy staying with traffic rather than being traffic. Razz

see above Very Happy

took 1 ride down my driveway in my 1.9 automatic westy. that's all it took for me to say thanks, but no thanks...

imagine getting hit so hard that not only does it blow your roof rack off the impact bends the seat back and spits you out onto the highway.... and bends the rear torsion bar into an arc.

lot's of articles about the subject. even insurance companies don't want you driving too slow

https://www.allstate.com/tr/car-insurance/dangers-of-driving-slowly.aspx

(shakes cane, yells at the clouds) back in my day when i started driving, national speed limit was 55. my first car was a 62 bus then a 71 westy. i could not only maintain speed, but on occasion pass.

so back then, 55 really meant 60-65. now with a speed limit of 65 that's really 70-75....and that's in the travel lane

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
I'm a little confused on the safety issue. I can easily go 70 on the freeway, and up a (very) steep grade maybe I go down to 35.

in case you missed it:

livethevanlife wrote:
I dont buy the speed equals safety argument, but then again I no longer live in California.

really? you should talk to Manny about that:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8058262#8058262

he and his passenger got cleaned the fuck up bad...

vino de vano wrote:
I enjoy staying with traffic rather than being traffic. Razz

see above Very Happy

took 1 ride down my driveway in my 1.9 automatic westy. that's all it took for me to say thanks, but no thanks...

imagine getting hit so hard that not only does it blow your roof rack off the impact bends the seat back and spits you out onto the highway.... and bends the rear torsion bar into an arc.

lot's of articles about the subject. even insurance companies don't want you driving too slow

https://www.allstate.com/tr/car-insurance/dangers-of-driving-slowly.aspx

(shakes cane, yells at the clouds) back in my day when i started driving, national speed limit was 55. my first car was a 62 bus then a 71 westy. i could not only maintain speed, but on occasion pass.

so back then, 55 really meant 60-65. now with a speed limit of 65 that's really 70-75....and that's in the travel lane

Never mind, you missed my point.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:

what point was that?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
And these engines can handle the turbo? Do most people who do the detective conversion add turbo?

Easily. It's a very robust and durable motor. They use them for racing. That said, I don't know of anyone has done a turbo Zetec Vanagon. But it certainly can be done.

Look at this crazy WRC Zetec motor.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

isn't this the small car mount.
small car engine mount

tjet wrote:
j_dirge wrote:

Is that a custom mount setup?

Nice

619 201 0310
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

erste wrote:
childofthewind wrote:

what point was that?

please, do tell. is your point you can go 70 on the flats and become a traffic cork going up hill?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

While you wankers toss soft analyses around about how dangerous it is to drive slow, Victor Muchuruza wrote a Civil Engineering thesis on this in the 2000s , finding from data that only vehicles under 40 mph on interstates contributed disproportionately to accidents . That doesn’t mean it’s safe to drive 40 on an interstate , just that the dangers are overstated.

If you “ suddenly “ come up on in someone doing 40 , that’s your inattentiveness, not their slow speed, that caused the accident. What if you “suddenly” come up on a cinder block in the road?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

As I've traveled the States for decades and driving for well over 1/2 century, I have noticed that America's drivers have gotten less "polite" and more have exhibited much more of a "get out of my way dammit!" Attitude.

Part of it is based on changes in society and books have been written about such things.

Part of that is they built the Interstate system during my lifetime too.

The idea presented of needing a bigger engine so one can keep up with the flow of traffic is flawed.

Flawed from a perspective of Law....... ummmm ..... hey dude, you are breaking the Law by speeding.

And also flawed for I've noticed that no matter what I've driven and no matter how fast I go, you are now the leader that must be passed.
Many if the other drivers on your highway simply MUST be in front.
They mindlessly tailgate, they pass unsafely and take risks that shouldn't really be taken.

To use one horrible accident example to scream that we MUST go fast is well..... it's stupid.
An isolated extreme example.

The experience of driving has degraded horribly.
Unless I must, I will budget an extra hour travel time to NOT take any of the Interstate highway system, even locally.

My first trip on I-95 for YEARS was a Month ago when I ran down to Beltsville Md.
and that highway use was only in the final leg of the journey.

We've become a selfish, self servicing, impatient and hurried motorist.

As modern cars get safer and safer, fewer and fewer of these rushed risk takers are dying on the highways. They get "away" with it and suffer no consequences.
Their numbers increase and soon it seems everyone is sucked into their madness!

I've always felt that if a State wanted to close their budget gaps, simply redo the fine structure of speed limit violations to a painful and crippling $$ amount and ENFORCE IT!
Make it a sliding scale starting at painful and ending up as a crippling amount if money.

What does Ohio do?
If you are driving West on Pennsylvania I-80 and immediately upon crossing the border into Ohio, the traffic slows, almost to speed limit slow.

Sure, put in you bigger engine, go have fun.
Honestly if I had the cash and really wanted increased reliability, I'd go with the Ford Zetec conversion.
I see no real reliability gain by pulling out my 30 yr old engine and slipping in a 25 yr old engine.

Anyway.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

erste wrote:
childofthewind wrote:

what point was that?

please, do tell. is your point you can go 70 on the flats and become a traffic cork going up hill?

If you actually read what I said, I said really steep passes like the Tioga Pass going up to Yosemite. Think very steep. Clearly anyone going 35 on the freeway is an extreme hazard.

And no, I still don't think it's safe to go over 70 on the freeway. I don't have to agree with all of you dudes. As it is I spend less and less time here because of this "you better agree with us" attitude.

✌️

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville

Last edited by childofthewind on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
vandroid
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

We, my wife and me haven't been here very long, but have been waiting for the opportune moment to say,

Change your fuel lines 🔥

High-five Honey ✋
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:
erste wrote:
childofthewind wrote:

what point was that?

If you actually read what I said, I said really steep passes like the Tioga Pass going up to Yosemite. Think very steep. Clearly anyone going 35 on the freeway is an extreme hazard.

And no, I still don't think it's safe to go over 70 on the freeway. I don't have to agree with all of you dudes. As it is I spend less and less time here because of this "you better agree with us" attitude.

✌️

I don't get this at all.
For one, the whole premise of this thread is how we all differ on what we want from our 30 year old units.

Sure, it boils down into a conversion/non conversion camp but really no one is thumping the "I am correct!" Mindset.

I've also seen that we, myself included, think we've written this well thought out epistle about a given topic only to realize later how fragmented, opinionated and disjointed it really is!

We many fancy ourselves as writers....... but we're not. To effectively transfer thoughts and ideas through the written word is difficult and as a result at times those words are taken by the reader as something never intended by the writer.

Continue on, just keep in mind that all of you conversion people are dead wrong! Laughing Wink

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
childofthewind wrote:
erste wrote:
childofthewind wrote:

what point was that?

✌️

I don't get this at all.
For one, the whole premise of this thread is how we all differ on what we want from our 30 year old units.

Sure, it boils down into a conversion/non conversion camp but really no one is thumping the "I am correct!" Mindset.

I've also seen that we, myself included, think we've written this well thought out epistle about a given topic only to realize later how fragmented, opinionated and disjointed it really is!

We many fancy ourselves as writers....... but we're not. To effectively transfer thoughts and ideas through the written word is difficult and as a result at times those words are taken by the reader as something never intended by the writer.

Continue on, just keep in mind that all of you conversion people are dead wrong! Laughing Wink

Dave

Fair enough, Dave.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

childofthewind wrote:

As it is I spend less and less time here because of this "you better agree with us" attitude.

✌️

no, the real problem is not the "you better agree with us" attitude..... it's getting shit on for the choices someone makes on their own car, with their own money....like somehow it directly effects you the reader.

who cares what powered you to the camp ground...as long as you made it is what counts.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

With the Poll vote at 49 to 48 for the win, I call this thread DEAD.

Lock it up!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...I have noticed that America's drivers have gotten less "polite" and more have exhibited much more of a "get out of my way dammit!" Attitude.

Part of it is based on changes in society and books have been written about such things...

That attitude isn't limited to driving habits. In can also manifest itself in, say, communication skills.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
With the Poll vote at 49 to 48 for the win, I call this thread DEAD.

Lock it up!

Too late - it's now 50/50. Buddy, we're headed for a recount.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

I put it over the top -- VAG 5-cyl here.
This thread made me laugh. VW Logo

Last edited by Squidfish on Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
mrshrimp wrote:
And these engines can handle the turbo? Do most people who do the detective conversion add turbo?

Easily. It's a very robust and durable motor. They use them for racing. That said, I don't know of anyone has done a turbo Zetec Vanagon. But it certainly can be done.

Look at this crazy WRC Zetec motor.

Looks nice. Can’t say it looks like something that’s easily done, but looks clean. Think I still might be tempted to just put a more powerful non turbo engine in rather than deal with all that. Just seems like it would be easier. The non turbo zetec just would not be powerful enough for me. But I appreciate what it is and how affordable the engines are as well.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

Squidfish wrote:
I put it over the top -- VAG 5-cyl here.
This thread made me laugh. VW Logo

I equalized it Wink 1.9 WBX, 85 weekender. I appreciate all these creative conversions.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Love the one you're with, the joys of staying stock Reply with quote

Quick question... as was touched on previously, what constitutes a stock engine in the poll?

Is it stock if you install ratio rockers?
What about a tuned exhaust?
What if someone replaced the 1.9WBX with a 2.1 WBX, is it still a stock engine?
Is a 2.2 WBX still a stock engine?
What about a 2.5 WBX?
What if someone replaces the fuel injection system on a WBX, is it still a stock engine?
What if they also add a turbo to the WBX, still a stock engine?
What if someone installs a later 1.6 non-turbo from a Golf in place of the stock 1.6 non-turbo.
What if someone installs a 1.6TD in place of the 1.6 non-turbo, is it still stock?
What about a 1.7 non-turbo KY engine in a van that used to have a WBX?
What if someone adds a turbo to the KY?
Are AAZ engines still stock engines?
AHU TDI?
What about a Tiico (pretty close to the AAX in South Africa), is that stock?
I-5's do they count as stock?

One of my 4 vans was originally a 1.6 non-turbo diesel engine. Does it still have the 'stock engine' if I replaced it with a 1.9 AHU mTDI? The 1.9 AHU mTDI is probably more similar to a 1.6 non-turbo than a turbo-charged WBX with new fuel injection is to a 1.9 or 2.1 WBX.

Another of my vans was originally a WBX but had an ABA installed.
Considering the AAX in South Africa is that close enough to be considered a stock engine? I pulled the ABA a few years back and installed an AAZ, still stock? Before long it will get the AAZ pulled and a completely rebuilt AHU installed, does that count as stock?

Please don't confuse my post as being any indication that I care at all about the poll, who 'wins' the poll, what is considered stock or not by anyone, what engine you have in your van, whether or not you care what engine I have in my van, etc...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: