Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

Apparently on the rear most fender upper bolt mount, foam was injected between these inner panels. Looks like it can hold water and cause cancer. Found this only on the passenger side. It is an easy repair but could have been much worse. I believe the problem is promoted by old fender seals that seep water. I also would like to understand why the foam is needed at all? The driver side has no problems so that limits damage repair.
Bill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

Yes...its all up and down teh C-pillar sections of all three models.

Grind/carve out as much as you can. It was a sound deadener.

I was looking up what might dissolve that stuff quite a while back. Google "what dissolves isocyanate foam". Start reading.

https://www.coatingspromag.com/industry-news/2015/...-equipment

Most can be flaked out and sanded away if you can reach it. The problem is that when teh body work leaks it fills with water and stays there to rust.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

Ray,

I also have a ‘75 Super with the same foam. On a beetle I understand sound deadening idea because it cuts off the sound from the engine compartment... there is a direct path for the sound. But on the wagon? The engine compartment/channels are made differently, I think.

Bill
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

Gents,

VW were not the only German car company experimenting with this blown isocyanate foam and in every case it caused corrosion. Condensation is trapped by the foam against the metalwork and it simply corrodes its way out. The “Jeans” Beetle and “GT” models would rust in places that no previous beetle had ever rusted in! VW stopped using the foam in the mid 70’s so the “Last Edition” Beetle models were immune and have lasted longer.

My method is to flood the box sections containing the foam with old engine oil, from above and let it soak into the foam. The problem with trying to removing the foam is that it’s often in box sections that you simply cannot get into.

BR,

Rob
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

They really put that stuff everywhere. It's important to remove the rust and rust bubbles. You can't just treat it with a chemical as it may pop up years later after you paint it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

Hawker wrote:
Gents,

VW were not the only German car company experimenting with this blown isocyanate foam and in every case it caused corrosion. Condensation is trapped by the foam against the metalwork and it simply corrodes its way out. The “Jeans” Beetle and “GT” models would rust in places that no previous beetle had ever rusted in! VW stopped using the foam in the mid 70’s so the “Last Edition” Beetle models were immune and have lasted longer.

My method is to flood the box sections containing the foam with old engine oil, from above and let it soak into the foam. The problem with trying to removing the foam is that it’s often in box sections that you simply cannot get into.

BR,

Rob

Yes....this IS for soumd insulation.

You will totally understand when you start A. Removing carpet and seats and driving in between working on it....and B. when you remove the foam.

These cars do get noisey.
However.....removing the foam is not enough more noise that I would notice it.....and would opt to leave it in versus removing it or never having it.

There is also a BIG plug of foam in the very from end between the lower valance beneath the bumper and the spare tire well that causes rust through.

Getting the vast majority of that out.....I stole a page from someone else here in the forums. I took a length of 7/16" stranded wire rope about 3 feet long......frayed the end out about 3/4" wide and chucked it into a hand drill.

This worked pretty well to get the vast majority of the foam out of that tight, deep crevice so I could get ospho into that area. Soon I will trim back the rust leaving a hole ahout 2.5" x 3".....probably tack weld in a plate kind of backside and use body solder or thin bondo.

I think a variant of this wire technique could work in the pillars and channels to remove most of the foam.

As for dissolving the foam. When isocyanate foam is not yet fully cured....acetone will work. But it will not dissolve cured/crystallized foam.

Its also said that the acetone can break the bond from surfaces. I have not found this to be very effective yet.

Here is a company that says they have a product that works on iso foam:

https://tedgar.net/index.php/en/product/1100-tedgar-pur-cured-polyurethane-pu-cleaning

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

Note....the other thing this foam is used for is to stop panels from rattling.....especially from wind and body flexing at high speeds.

You can see this usage where splotches of foam are used between the ribbing of the front hood and the outer skin on the trunk and is also probably the main reason it was used between the hin valance and spare tire well.

Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

These images are out of the factory workshop manual and are supposed to show where the foam was injected at factory. Note that on the coupe half of the large D-pillar is filled.

This is a repair instruction for the sills...

...and here are two examples of heavy rusted coupe pillars, i bet condensed water has been laying on top of the foam-plug inside the pillars..

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Death foam discovery ‘73 wagon Reply with quote

Lars S,

Always amazes me that people like you have information like this around!
Hopefully my wagon does not have too much of this foam... I see no other problems other than what I have shown. This stuff is nasty and I don’t want to cut into my beautiful wagon any more than I have to. I also have a ‘75 Super with this foam but no problems at all. I think it comes down to what climate the cars lived in and if they were garaged or not.

Thanks for your documents,
Bill
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: