Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road side fix.....
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

Earlier this summer, about mid July, I was returning home from Iowa in my '66 Beetle after a day of hiking in the bluffs along the Mississipi River. I am just coming into Madison, WI on US-18, a major route into and out of the city. It's about 5:00PM, peak rush hour, and inevitably traffic suddenly grinds to a halt. I slow down and as I am pushing in the clutch to downshift at about 30mph, the engine dies. Fortunately I am in the left lane so I use the remaining momentum to squeeze onto the narrow shoulder up against the guard rail, so close that I had to exit through the passenger door. I opened the hood and looked around, but nothing seems amiss. I had condenser troubles only about a month before, so naturally I suspect the distributor is the culprit. I get out my little tool kit and pull the distributor out while my mind occupies itself with various gruesome scenarios of being hit by inattentive drivers. Distributor and tools in hand, I hop over the guardrail to ease my mind and get down to the business of trying to work on a distributor that has been roasting at highway speed in the summer heat for the past 100 miles. I fumble with the hot screws and nuts holding the condenser and points to the distributor body. The points are all pitted and burned so I figure the condenser is likely fried. I jumped back over the railing and dug through my "good used" tuneup parts stash under the rear seat. I found another condenser and a set of serviceable looking points so I went about reinstalling them. Naturally the screw that holds the condenser to the outside of the distributor slipped through my fingers and fell into the crack between the curb and the grass. I could still see it about 5 inches down there so I got a flathead screwdriver and after a few tries and harsh words succeded in wrangling it out of the hole. I set the point gap, put the distributor back in, and set the static timing. I climbed back in the car through the passenger door and turned the key. To my relief the engine fired right up like it hadn't missed a beat. The VW and I continued to crawl through the remainder of Madison and buzzed the rest of the way home uneventfully. Having grown weary of the points/condenser troubles that have plagued the car as of late, the next day I ordered a Pertronix ignition module and it has been running great for the past couple thousand miles. I still keep a set of points and a condenser in my emergency parts box under the rear seat just in case though.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

Summer 1986 ...
Drove 27 miles to Padre Island from Corpus in my '73 Super. Had good surf session. Turned key & nothing but spinning crank. Popped rear hood & touched a few things ... had only changed a spark plug on a lawnmower at that time. Guy walks over, pulls distributor cap & notices metal tab on top of rotor had broken off. He tears a strip out of Dr Pepper can from floorboard with dull pocket knife & wrapped it around arm of rotor with rusty pliers. Fired rite up & destroyed itself just as I'm pulling into apt parking lot. Pushed clutch in & killed key. Coasted into parking spot. Rode bus for 6 days till payday from fast food joint I worked at.

Best regards ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

Just discovering this thread. There are so many, but here are three:

My friend Tony and I were on our way back to Buffalo from a VW show in Michigan, driving across Southern Ontario, Canada, in my '65 bug, when we lost power and the engine started rapping loudly. We stopped and quietly ate lunch while the car cooled down. Afterwards, I pulled the valve covers and found a rocker clip had broken, causing the rocker to slide down the shaft and strike the valve spring retainer instead of the valve. Just that moment, a local VW freak pulled up in a Ghia, and we explained the problem. He then took me to his nearby home and we swapped the rocker with one off a parts engine. We went back, I installed it, adjusted the valves, thanked him and Tony and I went on our way! After this, I always carry a rocker clip in my toolbox.

Another time I was cruising my '64 on my way back to New York from a VW show in Pennsylvania, when the car quit running. I tried messing with the distributor, but to no avail. The next thing, up pulls an old Squareback driven by an elderly man. He explained that he used to build engines at the local VW dealership. It took him two minutes to diagnose a bad rotor. We switched out the rotor from his Squareback, and sure enough the car fired up. A quick trip to his house netted me a rotor, and I thanked him and went on my way. After this, I always carry a spare rotor.

Finally, another year I went to the same show in Pa. with my buddy Scott, but this time we decided to go in style, and Scott rented a new car to drive down instead of one of our VWs. This was back in the Grateful Dead days, when Jerry Garcia was alive, and the Dead played Buffalo every summer. (It was obligatory, due to the lyrics in "Truckin'.")

Anyway, we were headed away from New York while a conga line of deadhead buses was going the other way. Somewhere in the Pennsylvania wilderness we spotted a deadhead bus on the side of the road. The decklid was propped, and tools and little yellow sparkplug boxes were scattered around behind it. Scott wheeled the white rental car around, and we pulled up to see if we could help. Sensing our new white car was the man, the deadheads started scurrying around and hiding their stash, like monkeys hiding bananas.

We got out, announced we were VW freaks headed to a VW show, and offered to help. The owner of the bus said, "I think it's the spark plugs."
Because we were in a hurry, Scott tore straight into the hot engine.
"Hey, what are you doing?" the owner protested.
"I'm fixing your bus," Scott said.
Scott pulled the distributor and found the culprit: a broken fiber block on the points caused them to close. He asked the owner if he had an extra set of points, and the owner's response should go down forever in the annals of Deadhead VW lore:

"That is my extra set of points!"

At any rate, we didn't have time to be bothered, because we knew there would be another deadhead bus truckin' by with an owner who had sense enough to carry an extra set of points that weren't already in his engine. Also, despite the fact that we had stopped, worked on a hot engine, diagnosed the problem and told them what they needed to do, these followers of the Grateful Dead were not very grateful.

Heinz Nordhoff

Last edited by Blue Baron on Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:51 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Road Side 'Fun' Reply with quote

Subscribed to read more stories .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Road side fix.....fruitfully solution to a hot engine Reply with quote

Driving down a country road on a hot day in my ‘71 bus. Suddenly engine loss power and died. Was able to coast to a safe spot near a grocery store.
Open engine lid and noticed a hot engine. (Could not hold oil dip stick).
Why engine hot? Check distributor if loose, no, check gas in carb, some but accreator pump, not to much gas.
Now check fuel pump, disconnected fuel hose from carb and had my wife crank engine, little or no gas come out.
Ok, gas problem took fuel pump off. Checking fuel pump rod. Not to high and took it out. The tip was over worn to the point that it was not (13 mm high.
Under my belly I took a piece of my pants belt leather.. wedge it between pushrod and pump to compensate for the worn pushrod.
Ok it worked somewhat, but what about the vapor lock problem. Apparently the fuel line was closed to the heat riser.
So I figured if I insulate the fuel line the gas that’s in a vapor state will convert to a liquid, I would be ok.
So I had a brain fart and went in the grocery store and got some cold oranges, lemons, limes. Took out my trusty boy scout knife and put a slit into each orange, lemon, lime, and wrap them around the hot fuel line, then wrap some cloth to insulate the fruit. That work for a while to out campground where I was able to order a new pushrod and had it delivered to our campground.
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwd722 wrote:
My roadside fix came about the same time this thread originally started.

My accelerator cable broke off at the pedal so I took the circle thing (obviously I don't know what it's called) off my keyring, hooked it to the hole on the pedal and twisted the cable around it.

Worked great. In fact, after reading this ressurected thread I realized it is still that way, some 8,000 miles later!

Guess it's time for a new cable!!

Was gonna post my story, but this guy beat me to it.

Last edited by PWB on Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

PWB, storm here, go ahead and Wright your story, I would like to read it.
PWB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

storm wrote:
PWB, storm here, go ahead and Wright your story, I would like to read it.

What I mean is, I had the same throttle cable issue, pulled off to the side of the road, and fixed it in the same manner as jwd722 (key-ring "relocation") in order to get home. Only difference is, I was only a few miles away.

Great thread btw
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

I did a 2+ year 30k mile trip in a 1973 Panel Bus throughout the US and parts of Canada back in the early 90s and have too many Road Side Fix Stories to list here but here is a memorable one.

My pilot bearing started to go when I was in Hood River Oregon one summer and it got so bad I couldn't get it into gear. I only had a bottle jack so I couldn't remove the engine so I pulled up on one of the side roads next to an open field and took off the nose cone of the transaxle and was able to remove it (the transaxle) without dropping the engine.

I hitchhiked to Portland and got a new pilot bearing from a VW dealer and temporarily bought a Dremel tool from Walmart and removed the bearing cage (then returned the tool for a refund) and put the new one in and installed the transaxle again using gasket maker when putting the nose cone back on. Started up and tried to drive but the there had been too much damage done to the transaxle so I had to pull it out again and call around to Wrecking Yards to try to find a used transaxle. I had a visit from a local Police Officer who was sympathetic and said he would allow me a few days but I'd have to have the Bus gone by the weekend or otherwise it would be towed.

The closest Wrecker with a Transaxle was in Corvallis so I hitchhiked to Portland again and bought another pilot bearing and then hitchhiked to Corvallis to buy the transaxle. I paid about $200 for it (my budget for the entire month) and then made up a sign and hitchhiked back to Hood River. Surprisingly, there was a young guy in a wagon who was heading to Portland and after hearing my story, offered to drive me to Hood River as I had the transaxle to bring with me/deal with.

Got back and installed the used transaxle (also put in the new pilot bearing just in case) and was back on the road again. Missed a few days of windsurfing but all good.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:53 am; edited 2 times in total
jeffavatech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

O.K.,....help me with this...how did you change a pilot bearing by pulling the nose cone off??????....
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Road side fix..... Reply with quote

jeffavatech wrote:
O.K.,....help me with this...how did you change a pilot bearing by pulling the nose cone off??????....

I removed the nose cone and then was able to remove the transaxle as without the nose cone on, there was enough room to slide the transaxle forward and drop it down enough for the input shaft to clear from out of the flywheel.

Once the transaxle was out and on the ground I could access and remove the pilot bearing with the engine still in place. Installation was just the reverse with lifting and sliding the transaxle in place and then putting the nose cone on again (with form a gasket) and hook the shifter back up, attach the CV axles, attach the clutch cable, and refill with gear oil.

In my case, I had to do it twice but the second time was a lot faster as I knew what I needed to remove and the pilot bearing was easy to take out as it was basically just replaced.

So a manual transaxle in a Late Bay Bus can be removed without dropping the engine if you are stuck at the side of the road like I was. You need to drain the gear oil and have clean rags but with the nose cone removed, you gain enough room to slide the transaxle forward and out to access the flywheel. This would work if you needed to change the throw-out bearing or replace the clutch too.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: