Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Thanks for that, do you know what the two existing wires are by chance? can i reuse either?
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

I don't know how your existing two-wire alternator is connected. The large white is likely 12V+, but you should check that with a multi-meter. You could also check the black/red? wire with a meter.

The dash light operation is non-intuitive. A wire connection from the alternator to the indicator light in the dash will activate the lamp when grounded and turn it off when 12V is applied.
20bugsys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

For anyone coming here looking for wiring who has a 2 wire subaru alternator here is what I have found. On my 2 wire alternator plug, there is a 10 gauge white wire and a smaller gauge black wire with a yellow stripe. The black and yellow wire is the gauge/cluster light wire. The large white wire is the 12V+ or SENSE wire.

This is the plug I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY2469A?tag=viglink129040-20

If you look at the image on the amazon plug, there is a diagram of the alternator side of the plug.

Red lead is "L"
Green lead is "S"
Black lead is "D" otherwise known as "C" for computer. You can cut this lead off, it goes unused.

So if you are upgrading an EJ25 with a 2 wire alternator, connect the large white wire to the sense pin, which according to resources in this thread, is the center pin. Connect the black small wire to the light pin (closest to the big B+ lug).

I hope this helps someone. I read all the threads here on this topic a few times and didn't see anything outlining conversion from existing 2 wire alternators with a different plug type like I have. I even contacted Jeff at autoventures, who did my original harness for confirmation.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986 | Vanagon Syncro | Restoration to bone stock
@myescapepod
@crusty_syncro
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

so did this mod a few months back, or rather it was done for me at the time of my syncro swap. Has been running fine for 6k miles and now all of a sudden the alternator is putting out less than 13 volts when under load and the charge light is coming on. when measured the voltage at the batt is 12.6 under load. interstingly when the green plug is unhooked from the alternator it goes up to 14+ volts??

swapped alternator with a know good, same. Battery checked out good at NAPA.

sense wire goes to alternator stud. replaced ring term no improvement. gauge wire goes to black box, confirmed all connections good.

I'm at a loss. any thoughts?

thanks!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Check your grounds.
If they didn't upgrade them from stock it would be a good idea.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

human compass wrote:
so did this mod a few months back, or rather it was done for me at the time of my syncro swap. Has been running fine for 6k miles and now all of a sudden the alternator is putting out less than 13 volts when under load and the charge light is coming on. when measured the voltage at the batt is 12.6 under load. interstingly when the green plug is unhooked from the alternator it goes up to 14+ volts??

swapped alternator with a know good, same. Battery checked out good at NAPA.

sense wire goes to alternator stud. replaced ring term no improvement. gauge wire goes to black box, confirmed all connections good.

I'm at a loss. any thoughts?

thanks!

I had a similar problem in the past. I wrote about it here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...alternator

How you have the 12V+ hooked up to the "sense" wire matters. Ideally, it should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery, as the alternator should "sense" the voltage there and charge accordingly. If you search the threads on this topic, there are various problems with remanufactured alternators. I had to connect my sense wire to a switched power source at one point, because the alternator was draining the battery. My suggestion is to connect your sense wire to the 12V+ stud in the black box on the fire wall in the engine compartment (instead of the alternator stud) and see if that helps. Right now, your sense wire is merely sensing the alternator voltage.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

I did try running a jumper to the battery pos terminal and seemed to make the alternator kick down in voltage. It actually runs best right now with the plug not in at all???

wondering about an internal short within the plug-ordered a new one.

I'll try your suggestion and check all the grounds again. Also may pull the newly purchased alternator and have it tested.

thanks!
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

so after literally replacing/upgrading the entire charging system it turns out that the little green alternator plug had some corrosion that was likely shorting or decreasing sensing. replaced that with a new one and all is well Smile
Povi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

20bugsys wrote:
For anyone coming here looking for wiring who has a 2 wire subaru alternator here is what I have found. On my 2 wire alternator plug, there is a 10 gauge white wire and a smaller gauge black wire with a yellow stripe. The black and yellow wire is the gauge/cluster light wire. The large white wire is the 12V+ or SENSE wire.

This is the plug I used.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY2469A?tag=viglink129040-20

If you look at the image on the amazon plug, there is a diagram of the alternator side of the plug.

Red lead is "L"
Green lead is "S"
Black lead is "D" otherwise known as "C" for computer. You can cut this lead off, it goes unused.

So if you are upgrading an EJ25 with a 2 wire alternator, connect the large white wire to the sense pin, which according to resources in this thread, is the center pin. Connect the black small wire to the light pin (closest to the big B+ lug).

I hope this helps someone. I read all the threads here on this topic a few times and didn't see anything outlining conversion from existing 2 wire alternators with a different plug type like I have. I even contacted Jeff at autoventures, who did my original harness for confirmation.

I have the exact same scenario. My harness was also done by Jeff. I have an 96 EJ22 OBD2 with a two wire plug. A larger gauge White and a smaller gauge Black with Red stripe wire. The alternator is a three wire from an 06 legacy nonturbo (23700 AA55A A3TG2391ZC). I'm using the same aftermarket pigtail and connected the White from the harness to the green from the pigtail and the Black/Red from the harness to the red from the plug. The Black wire from the new plug left unconnected as instructed in the post.

No go. Put the ground back on the battery and the scangauge lit up with no key in the ignition. Turned over but wouldn't crank. The battery dummy light stayed on the whole time.

I don't know if there's some relearn procedure for disconnecting the MAF, but I unplugged it to take out and clean the air filter. I hope that has nothing to do with it.

Any input would be helpful. A fifth picture of the quoted series of pics would be nice. I'll add one when it's sorted. Thanks y'all for all your help. I have avoided asking questions through every problem and an engine conversion by searching the poo out of it on here for. Just frustrated and feeling dumb. Cheers!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Try unplugging your 2-pin connector from the alternator. Your battery won't charge and your idiot light will be on, but otherwise can you start it up and operate normally? If not, look at what else you have done.
Povi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

The old two plug alternator is out and the new one is in. Wire’s we’re temporarily connected as the quoted post suggested

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Yes, I’m suggesting you temporarily cap those wires and try to start your vehicle. The battery won’t charge & your charge warning light will be on, otherwise you should not have weird issues. If the no start problem goes away, it is the alternator wiring. If problem remains, it is something else.
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

So we were traveling back from Denver a couple weeks ago and I noticed the battery light started to flicker so I toggled the battery voltage switch and checked the starter battery and then the house batteries and both were sitting around 17.2v. I figured that I had an internal voltage regulator going out and the next weekend planned to change the alternator out.

I picked up the “23700AA520 - 2005 Legacy Turbo and 2006-2009 Forester TURBO, 2007-2009 Impreza TURBO“ from Subaru that was recommended in this thread. Easy install with no modifications required.

Couple things though is the output voltage at the alternator is around 15.2v-15.4v and is 14.8v-15.1v at the battery. Is that voltage too high? Also, I still have a little bit of a flicker at the battery light. I’ve read the threads on the sensing wire and also grounding issue and as a tester I ran an 8 guage wire from the neg battery terminal all the way to the alternator mounting bolt but no change in the output voltage or the flicker.

Thoughts?

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

Do you have the control wire connected? If so where?
It is necessary for proper operation.
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
Do you have the control wire connected? If so where?
It is necessary for proper operation.

The PO had the three wire plug only wired to the L and S wire leaving the C blank. There is no wire coming out of the loom for the C.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgoIocPgOug&feature=emb_logo

Decent video about power output vs RPM vs cooling. No free lunch still raises its' head. What are you guys lacking or seeking with higher peak output alternators?

BK
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

The higher output alternator means I can run the radio, headlights, both heater blowers and the wipers while sitting at a stoplight - and the wipers don't slow down!!! Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
What are you guys lacking or seeking with higher peak output alternators?

Early ej22 alternators put out less amps than a vanagon alternator. Apparently these later units are easy to service as well.
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

So I’m gonna throw this out there one more time in hopes someone could give me a hand on this. Been struggling to figure out why this new oe Subaru alternator is putting out 15.5+ volts. Sometimes 15.8v. I took it back to Subaru today to see if they could put it on the tester, but I guess it has to be in the vehicle to test now. Parts guy said it should be 14.8ish volts and would order me another one. Not super optimistic that this truly is the issue. Feel like there should be something that tells the alternator settle down on the voltage. Obviously something more than the voltage regulator that is.

Thanks for the help..

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 110 amp alternator upgrade for your Subaru conversion CHEAP Reply with quote

130 A Tribeca alternator $42 on eBay
Direct replacement.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: