Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 63 Subhatch Flipseat
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

X2 - those came out great. 3D printers are great for these types of low volume pieces.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Did you print those yourself? Was this done by SLA (Photocuring resin printing)?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
Massively impressed with your work on those knobs! Applause

They really make a huge difference to the overall look of the interior.

Thanks! And yes, they really do improve the look, especially when what was there was mismatched and kludged together. Now I just have to figure out how to create the 2 missing doors so I can put the knobs on those too.. Laughing

srfndoc wrote:
X2 - those came out great. 3D printers are great for these types of low volume pieces.

Thanks. They have their moments. Took quite a bit of tweaking to get the color and finish right and even still they have to be hand polished to get the requisite shine.

j.pickens wrote:
Did you print those yourself? Was this done by SLA (Photocuring resin printing)?

I created the models and a friend printed them out for me. Would have been a lot easier if he had been local to me. Very Happy And yes, the pieces are all SLA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

for the doors you could use one or maybe two baywindow tables.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Yup. I have the material. It looks like only 1 table needs to be sacrificed to build 2 doors.

Still need a template, the door-side hinges and a way to cut the slots for the hinges in the doors. The slots for the hinges are the bit giving me the most consternation... they're very deep relative to the width, so "normal" cutters won't get the job done. And the prospect of cutting those slots with an Exacto knife doesn't inspire confidence...
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Damn these look good! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

"You put your weed in it!" In SNL Rob Schneider voice. Brick wall Laughing Laughing

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:

Yup. I have the material. It looks like only 1 table needs to be sacrificed to build 2 doors.

Still need a template, the door-side hinges and a way to cut the slots for the hinges in the doors. The slots for the hinges are the bit giving me the most consternation... they're very deep relative to the width, so "normal" cutters won't get the job done. And the prospect of cutting those slots with an Exacto knife doesn't inspire confidence...

i can get the templates to you.

i wonder if the dremel vibrating cutter would work for the slots?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Yup, I was planning to bug you as I got closer to needing it.

And that’s a great idea! Totally forgot about that! Need to see if there’s a blade that thin enough, but otherwise there’s no reason it won’t work. I’ll just need to fixture it up so the cut is placed correctly. If this work out, I owe you a beer or 6. Very Happy
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Agree, now he can 3D print the chandelier. There was a guy who 3D printed a few and sold them here. If anyone gets the size I'll print one.

oakman wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Agree, now he can 3D print the chandelier. There was a guy who 3D printed a few and sold them here. If anyone gets the size I'll print one.

oakman wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

If someone has an example to work from, I’d be happy to give it a whirl. Wouldn’t even have to be intact or complete. Just needs examples of all the features to pull dimensions from....
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

finally blazes up giant weed bag
Dude, lets make the knobby thingy......and a chandelier...

looks awesome
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

just let me know when you need the template for the doors.

I love west coast IPAs. LOL

I think the dremel would actually work pretty good.

Thompson2 wrote:
crofty wrote:

Yup, I was planning to bug you as I got closer to needing it.

And that’s a great idea! Totally forgot about that! Need to see if there’s a blade that thin enough, but otherwise there’s no reason it won’t work. I’ll just need to fixture it up so the cut is placed correctly. If this work out, I owe you a beer or 6. Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Well, this has been pretty much a bust of a year so far. Never really got any time to spend on / under / around it. The one thing I did get done was getting some repop bumpers made for the rolling cabinet and long wall cushion stops.

Probably should have gone another route and just figured out how to make some for myself, but I got a wild hair and decided to have a batch made up. Cost way more than I had hoped and will likely take years to unload. Whatcha gonna do? Laughing

Anyway, I'm happy with how they turned out. They seem to be the right balance of hardness with a little bit of give... now I need to find a source for the little bezel inserts to replace the one I mangled...

Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

So after putting it off for what seems like forever (it’s not like there wasn’t… well, still is.. plenty of other tidbits to keep me busy), I’m going to dip my toe in on rust repair… I’ll be in over my head soon enough, so these seemed like manageable bits to tackle…

First up will be the battery tray and the engine lid prop bracket. Battery tray seems pretty straightforward… not a lot of damage, so I may not even have to cut out the whole thing.

The lid prop bracket is more of a necessity since I’m really tired of getting cracked in the skull every time a butterfly farts across town…. One question on it… I’m assuming that the small flanged bit should be attached to the body and not to the bracket? So I’ll need to rebuild that first, then attach a new (or maybe just reshaped) bracket?

Battery tray is on the way, just need to figure out if I’ll need the bracket..
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

From the "Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*":

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60185
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 63 Subhatch Flipseat Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
From the "Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*":

Damn. First question after a long hiatus and I get a "Read the FAQ's"... it's gonna be a rough summer for me, I think. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Jump to:
Page 31 of 31

Jump to: