Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery nose panel
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does anyone know or recognize the manufacturer of this nose panel? I bought this back in 1996 at a bus show. I doubt it's NOS and there were not many companies making these back then. All i can think of is maybe it's Allen H Schofield. He was one of the only companies producing these back then and it does resemble the panel on his current website since the holes for the wipers are not punched out. I totalled the bus i bought this for back in 1997 and put it in my parents attic and forgot about it. Now i need a nose for my current 67 Kombi project and I am wondering if this is a quality panel i can use.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

According to this it should have buckets, wiper holes and badge holes. It's a close second though.
Red Fau Veh wrote:
Check out this nos nose skin, its cool but the peeps want like 2million dollars for it.

teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

I would try to use it.

How well it fits w/o severe massaging/mods will determine its quality.
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

Worth sending Schofields an email or posting a question on the ssvc Facebook site to see if anyone can identify. Schofields (currently) sell WW, the silver BBT panels and a cheap repro....but as you say, they could have been making their own back in 96
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

Take a photo of the inside.
Lots of NOS VW sheet metal was shipped without holes for mounting things so it would fit on the greatest number of buses. I have some NOS doors which are stamped like 1966 doors, but have no holes where the push button handles would mount forward of the grab area. You could use them on any year bus, yes they'd have flat areas to mount the later handles, but no holes if you are using icepick handles.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

I have one that I believe to be identical to yours, I got it at BFY Obsolete in 2001. While I don't know the manufacturer, what I do know about mine when comparing it to a new KF nose (and clean OE for that matter) is that the radius of the contour from the raised 'V' nose to the headlight panels isn't spot-on, and my crease is really soft, very obviously not NOS (or, more specifically, not New Old German Stock), I had assumed more Brazilian. But looking at your pic, your crease looks a little tighter, more definition in the pictures.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

ask WM971252 he was the sole importer for schofield back then

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=30290

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TedescoVP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

Maybe this nose panel is made by a brazilian brand, back in the 80's and 90's some brazilians sheet metal brands are using this kind of grey to they parts, brands like IGP, Centauro, Romeu Calamita, and others. Now they paint all black.

Take a look at this pictures, this one are all IGP parts from the 90's.

This one are made by Centauro

And this nose panel, i think, is also made by centauro.

widehatch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

@ TedescoVP Thanks, i forgot all about the Brazilian metals like IGP from the 90s. considering this was bought in the mid 90s i bet its from Brazil. it looks just like the one you pictured.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery nose panel Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
According to this it should have buckets, wiper holes and badge holes. It's a close second though.
Red Fau Veh wrote:
Check out this nos nose skin, its cool but the peeps want like 2million dollars for it.

this shows clearly how they accidentally invented the 68-72 bay windows front.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: