Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How To Hotrod Your VW (1983 Video)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: How To Hotrod Your VW (1983 Video) Reply with quote

Cruising another forum this morning. I ran across these videos from 1983.
In the videos. Bill Duncan, Dick Nuss and someone named Jerry, cover their methods of building a Hotrod VW engine. Nuss does most of the talking in the video.

It's old and the video quality is not great. But it is good info. Plus on a cold raining day. It makes for a good watch.

At one point, Bill separates a case with a screwdriver. That is not a good idea at all. But this was way back when they likely didn't know or care what happened to the cases they were working on.
Part One,

Link

Part Two,

Link

There is a bonus. Old drag racing footage from back in the day. I have actually seen some of the featured cars race. Very Happy

Set aside three hours to watch how the early guy's did things.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Hotrod Your VW (Video) Reply with quote

Well they have one Timeless part of every essential VW build......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Hotrod Your VW (1983 Video) Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Well they have one Timeless part of every essential VW build......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lol! The liquid wrench was put away early and never returned during the discussion.

The original video was over 4 hours long. The guy that posted on YT, edited it down to just over 3 hours.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Hotrod Your VW (1983 Video) Reply with quote

I watched Part 2 a few years ago which helped me visualize setting the rocker arm geometry.
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How To Hotrod Your VW (1983 Video) Reply with quote

I have a dvd of that video. It’s in PAL format. I’m looking for a way to convert it so I can watch the whole thing. The data format is what’s used in Europe I think. Does anyone Know how to convert it? Any information would be appreciated!
Old video or not these two guys know there stuff! The performance they achieved back then is still impressive and respectable!
Jeff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: