Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone make adapter like Yakima?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has made or knows who might make an adapter like GoWesty makes called the Low Rise Spacer Kit? I am in need of one set BUT they have been sold out for months. This is for the Yakima rain gutter towers.

If anyone has pictures of their set up on how they extended their height on rack, please show them off with pictures. I need some ideas on how to create or find something kinda the same.

Cheers. Cool

1969 Bucky the Bug Convertible...red, rusted, work in progress....LOTS of work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

Just curious, what is the purpose of raising the height of the crossbars? I have the Yakima towers and they provide plenty of height for the crossbars to clear the arc of the Westy roof without additional spacers.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
Just curious, what is the purpose of raising the height of the crossbars? I have the Yakima towers and they provide plenty of height for the crossbars to clear the arc of the Westy roof without additional spacers.

I have the Mega Warrior basket 3/4 of the roof length...the attachments that hold it do the bars hit the roof due to the arc. They need to be lifted JUST a bit. Also, I am running the regular height towers, not the extended length (those were to high and would not allow me to fit the van in the garage.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

Just cut down the hi-rise adapters and get your own bolt from home depot.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Tha's what I did.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

this is also what I did for my tintop... piece of cake
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

I purchased some square plastic stock from McMaster and cut it down to be the tower-raising height that I needed (2" or so), to fit an awning on the sides of the towers.
https://www.mcmaster.com/9542K662/

The plastic is plenty strong, and was easier to drill & work with than aluminum, for me. I used to have oak blocks instead, but it aged after about 6 years being up there.
cawvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

Took some photos:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I ordered 2 pcs of the 1' length, that was enough to raise all 4 bars (8 spacer blocks total)

There's a new plastic block next to old Oaky. Cut them to length with a chop saw. Drilled the holes by hand but a drill press would be nicer.

This is the view with the awning attached.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

That is the issue, I do not have the High Rise towers...just the regular ones.

4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

cawvin wrote:
I purchased some square plastic stock from McMaster and cut it down to be the tower-raising height that I needed (2" or so), to fit an awning on the sides of the towers.
https://www.mcmaster.com/9542K662/

The plastic is plenty strong, and was easier to drill & work with than aluminum, for me. I used to have oak blocks instead, but it aged after about 6 years being up there.

Thank you for this idea. I think this might be the best option for me. I will check out the link or see if I can find it local. Thanks for the pictures as well.

bself
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

4mymalamute wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

That is the issue, I do not have the High Rise towers...just the regular ones.

Might be helpful to list the Yakima towers you actually have. If you have the 1A rain gutter towers (which I have and would consider to be the regular ones), you can easily cut down a set of the hi rise spacers to whatever height works best (assuming you can find them of course). All you’d need is new, shorter bolts than what comes w/ the 3 1/2” spacers. The plastic option noted above obviously works too as might a 3D printed option, should one exist. Good luck.
frew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone make adapter like Yakima? Reply with quote

I finally took the time to 3D model and print my Yakima adapters... I used a 6" bolt and PETG. I have not been able to bring myself to putting the mounts on thru the fibreglass. Drilling thru the fibreglass is permanent.

[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: