Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger brake booster, improved brakes.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed-88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and guidance, completed the install today and found everything here really useful and straight forward. Luckily I had the dash out anyway while fixing some wiring which made access really easy. Looking forward to a test drive.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Rydersonthestorm wrote:
Just though Iíd let people know (since there was discussion on part #s that work) that I did a successful (although havenít driven it much yet) conversion using the 34-33 1154 262 booster. Only thing that differed from the instructions is I had to shorten the threaded rod 8mm (5/16?) as it would have protruded into the clevis and I wasnít sure the actual area within the clevis that the pedal pivoted (so decided it was safest to shorten).

I havenít seen the other boosters people are using but they look similar to the one I used based on pictures.

I dont think anyone has mentioned this in regards to the part number i used so i thought Iíd mention it since the directions vary from the original instructions. (I know it was mentioned in regards to another part number.) I have just done this upgrade with ATE part# 34331157416 and I also had to shorten the threaded rod an additional 5/16Ē (9/16Ē total) so that it would not protrude into the clevis and interfere with the pedal. Also, there was not enough thread left on the rod to be able to use the nut. As suggested by ALIKA T3, I just used the red loctite and everything seems tight. Still waiting on the windows out paint to be wrapped up before i can give the new booster and rear disc conversion a test. Ill post my opinion after ive had a chance to drive the van a bit. Im hoping for a decent amount of improvement.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Hi All!

I'd like to add to this thread with a useful question. I just picked up a used BMW brake booster that looks pretty good. I'm not an expert on boosters, so I have a question about the used one's condition to determine whetherbit'll work or not.

Is the center shaft supposed to be stiff and difficult to push and move the diaphragm? If I lean on the fork end of the booster, I can actuate the diaphram, but it seems very stiff. The shaft in the booster body seems rusty. I am worried that could effect the booster's performance.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for the help!!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

It should move fairly easily.
Looks like it leaked fluid badly....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
goldtooth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I just bought new when I did mine. Not a fun thing to swap out and didn't want any unknown issues. FCP Euro for the win.
nate
instagram - nate_baldwin and thatbaldwinlife
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Link?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-power-brake-booster-34331157416
goldtooth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-power-brake-booster-34331157416

That's it
nate
instagram - nate_baldwin and thatbaldwinlife
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Do you think the Booster diaphragm is compromised due to leaking fluid?

Wouldn't the leaking brake fluid indicate a bad master cylinder and not a bad booster?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Brake booster rubber parts are brake fluid proof. Just suck/drain as much as you can and you are good to go.

They are not engine oil proof. Ask any BMW owner.
john_lessard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Okay good to know. So the diaphragm may not be damaged due to leaking brake fluid, but it is still rusty inside the booster and the shaft is very stiff and difficult to actuate. I really don't want to do this install twice, so I may return this booster and purchase a new one from ECS.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

I removed my pedal assembly by pulling it out from the top since my dash is out doing a booster upgrade and heater box refurbish.

I expected to have to address the elongated hole in the clutch pedal since the van has 225k miles on it. I did not expect this. The hole looks VERY round. Lucky Me.

One question. Why did VW build in so much side clearance in the clevis arrangement? Did there used to be some plastic or teflon washers there at one time?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm EXACTLY where the 111.5mm distance is supposed to be measured? I have to go beyond threads to reach that number from the mounting surface to the center of the clevis pin. I keep seeing the word ďclevisĒ referenced but not the location of where to measure on the actual clevis. I assume itís to the center of the hole but just want to make sure, especially since it means completely bottoming out our setup.
Thanks.

UPDATE:
I somehow DIDNíT notice the ďaĒ measurement on the Bentley manual. It is for sure this dimension.

Hereís a photo showing our clevis pin bottomed out to be able to get the adjustment right.

T3TRIS

1987 Syncro GL converted to poptop
- 1994 Subaru EJ22
- Transaxle rebuild
- 215/75-R15
- Mexico paint job
- Front end rebuild

Fun off-roading
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

Hey man!

Measurements are always in the middle of the hole in technical drawings unless specified. The VW picture shows it too.
If you're not exact by 2mm I don't think that's gonna be the end of the world...
If you have a big difference, investigate your diaphragm is all pushed out from the internal spring maybe?
I don't recall having to cut extra thread in the shaft, but wi did get rid of the nut to reach the measurement.
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Hey man!

Measurements are always in the middle of the hole in technical drawings unless specified. The VW picture shows it too.
If you're not exact by 2mm I don't think that's gonna be the end of the world...
If you have a big difference, investigate your diaphragm is all pushed out from the internal spring maybe?
I don't recall having to cut extra thread in the shaft, but wi did get rid of the nut to reach the measurement.

Ha. Thanks. Yeah after tinkering with it more I realized it didnít need to be THAT precise, especially since itís tough to keep it perfectly vertical which changes the distance measurement! A tolerance wouldíve been nice though. First time I ever built a wall with 2x4ís my uncle walked by and started laughing because I was trying to get things within 1/8Ē and 1/16Ē for rough framing. He reminded me that nobody would ever see that and I didnít need to be that critical. Heís been calling me half-a-degree since then Razz

I thought about not using the nut but I didnít know how precise I had to be at the time. I knew itíd be short and I didnít know how to prevent the clevis from spinning besides loctite. Looks all good now, but probably had to remove almost 1/2Ē from the threaded rod. Canít wait to see how it feels.

T3TRIS

1987 Syncro GL converted to poptop
- 1994 Subaru EJ22
- Transaxle rebuild
- 215/75-R15
- Mexico paint job
- Front end rebuild

Fun off-roading
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger brake booster, improved brakes. Reply with quote

The nut is not necessary, the shaft cannot spin and the neither can the clevis Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: