Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Line floor pass through
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

While doing the brake booster upgrade, I had the opportunity to look straight down through the pedal box where the hydraulic tubing for the clutch goes through the floor.

There's quite a large opening to atmosphere. Is there supposed to be a grommet or some other gasket there? What have others done here, or am I making a big deal of nothing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

Try this.

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251721495.htm

Mark
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

Speaking of the clutch line, can it be removed intact from a van for installation on another? I'm trading my manual bits for auto stuff with a member here, and don't know whether I should bother trying to remove mine, or just buy him a generic line from NAPA.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Speaking of the clutch line, can it be removed intact from a van for installation on another? I'm trading my manual bits for auto stuff with a member here, and don't know whether I should bother trying to remove mine, or just buy him a generic line from NAPA.

Yes it can, I had to do it for a Syncro conversion.
There's a coupler next to the radiator Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

Thanks dude, you're the best!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Thanks dude, you're the best!

Anytime brother Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

To the OP, I'd just squirt a bit of sealant into the existing grommet and call it good. That would serve the same function as trying to replace the grommet except it would be a lot less work and would likely last longer without issue.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
To the OP, I'd just squirt a bit of sealant into the existing grommet and call it good. That would serve the same function as trying to replace the grommet except it would be a lot less work and would likely last longer without issue.

this is what I did
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. That's what I was looking for.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Try this.

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251721495.htm

Mark

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

Waldo, that's a great suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have an existing grommet to add sealant to.

Mark provided a link to the replacement part above.

?Waldo? wrote:

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Line floor pass through Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
Waldo, that's a great suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have an existing grommet to add sealant to.

Mark provided a link to the replacement part above.

?Waldo? wrote:

i think ?Waldo? was saying to squirt sealant into the annulus the line passes thru... once it cures it keeps the line from chaffing on the pass thru edges and seals water out. if it was just a hole in the sheet metal, you'd have to install a grommet but that deep pass thru is a perfect application for sealant.

or you can get the right part, split one side, install over the line and super glue the split back together, then tamp in place.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: