Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

I got my camper from a free spirited young man after he smoked a motor in an area known to be, no country for old men. And apparently young men either. Or old busses. Anyway, this bus came with a few clues to it's past. There are vintage stickers and I found the hippie necklace under the passenger seat. Does your bus have a past?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My brother made this sticker.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Maybe a wannabee hippy. Hippys couldnt afford bay window buses. Old splitties maybe but mostly old school buses. Anyway this was the stuff I found

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Yeah, true original counterculture hippies drove splits. Bays are for latter day, next generation hippies, yippies, and punk rockers

HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Is "old Hippie bus" the same as "bus owned by an old Hippie" ?

My bus was definitely owned by an old Hippie. Bays can be hippie busses, I think.

My 73 had plenty of Grateful Dead decals and dancing bears I had to scrape off.

He was a nice guy, but the Dead just aren't my thing.

I suppose it all depends on if you guys and gals think the Deadheads were hippies or not.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Good job scraping off the creepy dancing bears....they needed to go!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Good job scraping off the creepy dancing bears....they needed to go!

I can't help but think that the soul of many of these buses "went corporate" post 1990's. The very essence that made these buses cool; Woodstock, free-thinking, Grateful Dead, open road, etc. is now replaced with dollar-worth, being stock, rules, and regulations.
Everyone to their own, but I say keep it funky....

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

If this necklace didn't belong to a hippie or hippie chick, I'll kiss someone's ass, right in the middle, on the Court House steps.

Hemp cordage, groovy groove thing. Come on.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Gettin' high and gettin' laid- don't be so old that you forget that its fun! The Hippie era was really done by about 73, the proper terminology for the counterculture, Bohemian types is a "head" ( denotes multiple ,mind expanding drug use and minimal employment). Bay window Bus's were still dirt cheap and parts plentiful right till the end of OG dead touring in 95.
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Hippie Bus?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

My 83 1/2 Vanagon had an NRA sticker in the rear window along with one for some bar in La Paz. Does that make it a hippy van? Most of these old vans have had many owners by now typically younger people with little money and experience keeping old vehicles alive. As for drug use McDowell County, WVa where I once lived has some of the highest drug use in the country and also voted 90% for Trump in 2016, and many other strongly right leaning counties aren't that far behind in either their drug use or in the way they voted.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
....As for drug use McDowell County, WVa where I once lived has some of the highest drug use in the country and also voted 90% for Trump in 2016, and many other strongly right leaning counties aren't that far behind in either their drug use or in the way they voted.

Be interesting to see the correlation of "legally prescribed" drug use/addiction and the illegal type. Many times the only difference between legal and illegal drug pushers is a white-coat and vacuumed office. With one scenario leading to another.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
My 83 1/2 Vanagon had an NRA sticker in the rear window along with one for some bar in La Paz. Does that make it a hippy van? Most of these old vans have had many owners by now typically younger people with little money and experience keeping old vehicles alive. As for drug use McDowell County, WVa where I once lived has some of the highest drug use in the country and also voted 90% for Trump in 2016, and many other strongly right leaning counties aren't that far behind in either their drug use or in the way they voted.

Most real, never went corporate hippies I know don’t care who gets president ....I’ve heard “vote for ......no one!” more than I’ve heard them express a partisan preference. I’ve never seen any thing but “Jerry for President” on their buses. They don’t have time to worry or get worked up about it all. I’m beginning to think they’re on to something Smile
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Gettin' high and gettin' laid- don't be so old that you forget that its fun! The Hippie era was really done by about 73, the proper terminology for the counterculture, Bohemian types is a "head" ( denotes multiple ,mind expanding drug use and minimal employment). Bay window Bus's were still dirt cheap and parts plentiful right till the end of OG dead touring in 95.

To think that the oldest Vanagon was only 15 in 1995, there sure were a bunch of them on lot at the time. My uncle took me to my first show in ‘93, I was only 16, but remember every third vehicle out of 30,000 cars had their tops popped. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Real Deadheads will recall ,(well, possibly,lol) Wavy Gravy and his campaign , complete with bumper sticker...
" Vote For Nobody, Cause Nobody's done nothing for me!"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Both my ‘68 and my current ‘71 were ski bum busses. I found many trail maps, the ‘68 had a ski pole grip as a shift handle and the ‘71 has a GD sticker and a Breckenridge first tracks sticker. I still use the shift handle and I didn’t remove the stickers. The ‘71 is still a ski bus to this day, even going skiing today! My bus also goes to a lot of festivals. In this pick you can see the stickers and we are fully loaded with all of my wife’s vending gear. She’s a silversmith and we sell her jewelry at festivals around the south west.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Both my ‘68 and my current ‘71 were ski bum busses. I found many trail maps, the ‘68 had a ski pole grip as a shift handle and the ‘71 has a GD sticker and a Breckenridge first tracks sticker. I still use the shift handle and I didn’t remove the stickers. The ‘71 is still a ski bus to this day, even going skiing today! My bus also goes to a lot of festivals. In this pick you can see the stickers and we are fully loaded with all of my wife’s vending gear. She’s a silversmith and we sell her jewelry at festivals around the south west.

ski bum bus, but not a Ski Bum bus....that you are aware of. I would love to see that damn mural on a survivor someday.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612968&highlight=ski+bum
Type2_Personality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Well, it wasn't a hippie bus when I bought this one used 40+ years ago ~ so I fixed it

As a side note to pioneer1 ~ this old hippie also bought a brand new 71 VW Adventurewagen in November of 1970 ~ some of us could afford a new Bus.

What's this about Bay Windows at Dead Shows?

400,000+ West Coast USA Miles
Too Many Dead Shows To Remember

Last edited by Type2_Personality on Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

nah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Clearly not OG paint, but the vacuum sealed pills and "rehab is for quitters" lighter found in the glovebox said it all. Plus the look on purist faces when I show up is just a bonus

Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

MY all time fav applied at Compton Terrace 1990

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: