Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Is there room in the tunnel to run a pair of -6 AN stainless braided fuel line through it? I've never been inside a tunnel to see how much room there is. I recently took mine off that i had run along the bottom of the car to freshen up the pan and I'd like to put them where they would be better protected than the bottom of my slammed car.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

There's room, but how you gonna attach them?
Just run stainless hard line in the gulley where the pan bolts to the body under the heater channels.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind cutting a window in the tunnel in a couple spots if needed (then reweld) to attach a clamp.
That's where i had these ran under the car. I have $650,000 in fittings in braided line, not going to change it to hard line now. I actually started with hard line but didn't like the way it was bending for how i wanted it, so then i got the braided.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

I'm sure it's probably been done.
Are you running two? Or reusing your stock hard-line as a return?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

No the stock one was too small so I'm running 2 new ones. I run E85 and boost.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Nice
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Is the body off the pan? If so, you could remove the bottom plate and have full access.

Mine are run within the channel where the pan bolts are.

Another option would be to run them inside and you could tuck them along the pan where it connects to the heater channel. There’s a small pocket there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

No it's not off the pan. When i built this car i didn't take it off the pan and i didn't touch the under side. So the other day i put it on the lift, did some blasting and painting, and now ready to put the fuel lines back on, intercooler water lines, radiator and fan... Etc. I broke an axle, so i figured while the engine and trans are out, i would do some of this stuff. I'd like to also replace all the brake line while everything is exposed.
Where i ran the fuel line i had to run it up under the tank and where it turns to go up, the car is pretty low there. Looks to be an easy spot to hit the ground or if i run over something it could make a mess. So if i could run it in the tunnel that would be best. I don't really want to run the line inside the car if i don't have to. With EFI and all the extra wiring it takes up more of those side areas near the heater channel.
I also don't want to be rattling in the tunnel or getting in the way of the shift rod. So, if needed i will make a couple cuts in the tunnel so i can get some clamps in there. I just didn't want to rip my carpet up (it's glued down and surely will have to be replaced) and cut the tunnel if there wasn't room in there for the lines.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Oh, there’s plenty of room, especially on the passenger side of the tunnel. You will definitely need to remove the interior though.

Good pictures here, a little ways down from top

http://www.mybeetlerestoration.com/2018/04/removing-tunnel-bottom-plate/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Thanks man that helps a lot! Looks like there is a brace up front I'm going to have to notch out to run them from front to back. I can't tell for sure from the pics, but it doesn't appear to have enough space under that brace to run them.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

I put a 5/16ths line through the tunnel with some wire harness spiral wrap on it. It fit under the brace.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Perfect. Thanks clone. This stuff is pretty big with the ends on it already. I'm hoping i don't have to pull them back off to get it through! I didn't enjoy putting them on the first time.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

I’ve got two -8 braided lines in the tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Any advice/things to look out for?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

I have had brake and fuel lines brake in my tunnel. Not fun smelling gas and not knowing were it was coming from until after a week of driving it finally dripped out the bottom of the tunnel.

Also had my brake line corrode along side the tunnel because what it was stock the line was on the floor and rotted out. My leg got wet from the spay.

Both are raised above the floor, so they can't get wet.

I like seeing them!!! They have been in that location for 30 years.

Yes I have a fire extinguisher, just in case.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Understandable. But i have carpet and ptfe lined hose. Not saying it can't fail, but less likely.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

I used 3/8 stainless hard line mounted to the passenger side inside the tunnel, I used hydraulic blocks welded in place to secure the lines. I had bottom plate off the tunnel to do it though.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

This is the area of concern. I was going to just make a skid plate for it, but i feel like moving it is a safer and cleaner install. Pic 2 is where i had it ran. It was tucked up in there pretty well along the car. Over the torsion and the area in pic 1 not so much.

Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

There’s not a braided or soft fuel line made besides nylon that modern fuel will not eat through in a few years.

Routing soft PTFE through the tunnel would be the height of shortsightedness.

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Running braided steel fuel lines in the tunnel Reply with quote

Under the bug, no way, two many things can happen. Skid plates are not liquids proof. Also we always hit things we do not expect, Rocks, gravel, tree branches, stuff falling off the truck in front of you.

Anything can cause it and you are stranded pouring out gallons of gasoline, on a road way or parking lot of driveway.

How will you stop gas from coming out the broken line. When redoing my rubber hose to the carbs, I left a hose clamp off. I drove one city block and smelled gas. Shut the car and saw gas pouring out under the car. I lost 3 gallons before I could get to a Vice Grip to cut off the supply. Do you have a plan if that happens to your stainless lines ? Not a happy scenario. Not to mention you are now stranded.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: