Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will it work?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
leec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Will it work? Reply with quote

After looking for a part in the garage today I realised I have a lot of performance motor parts on the shelf that I have gathered over the years.

I am thinking of building a turbo motor for my 1970 Elm green bug and wondered if it was a good combo. Fast street use.

Here is what I have

AS41 Case
CB 78mm crank/light flywheel
5.5 Scat H beams
Mahle 94mm strokers
Engle 110 and 1.25 rockers
Scat straight cuts
Deep sump
Stock Heads (Dual port 043 genuine vw, bored for 94)
CB performance hideaway turbo header. No turbo purchased at momennt

Would this work, I know the 110 is a bit mild but thought with some hand porting on the stock heads it may be ok?

Thinking single throttle body EFI?

Thanks,
Lee

Last edited by leec on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

Let the camshaft debate begin lol
leec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

k@rlos wrote:
Let the camshaft debate begin lol

Laughing
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

I would guess you will have too high compression ratio with stock heads bored for 94's. Turbo will make the problem worse.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

it'll work
But IMO, would work a lot better with panchito heads and a cam that doesen't idle terrible.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

It will work.
Use a larger than stock intake runner.
Loose the 1,25 rockers. Turbo engines don´t need that much lift and you will be able to control the valves much better.
leec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

Cool. Thank you all
What do you mean by a longer intake runner?

Lee
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

Don't waste your money on straight cut gears. Someone gave you poor advice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

I already have the straight cuts. Also have them in my race car motor and I love them
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

leec wrote:
Cool. Thank you all
What do you mean by a longer intake runner?

Lee

he said larger, not longer.
and how does one collect enough performance parts to build a " sweep the floor" ( thats what its called, right? i partied a little to hardy and im a little more stupid today than usual) engine and then ask if it a good combo? usually guys that have shit like that sitting around have a few builds.. just sayin, not really any point to what im saying, just thought it seemed odd.

also, as builds progressed for me i understood why the guys say there's better choices out there than the 110. ive got one in my boosted 2021 , idle is fine but does seem a little harsher on the valve train than other cams ive used ESPECIALLY with ratio rockers
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

I have a bit of a habit/addiction of buying high performance engine parts when they are at a good price. This enables me to trade up and purchase more expensive parts at a later date.

Didn't want to call it a sweep the floor motor as they are all nicely stored on racking rather than the floor

Thanks,
Lee
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

Mmmmmmm...turbo..... Cool Wink Very Happy

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

I'm building something very similar, 78.4 x 94, panchitos with CNC 68cc chambers, CB2288 (FK8), 1.4 rockers, TD04-13 turbo.

With stock heads cut to 94, at best you'll have 52cc chambers, which means runing a massive deck height (.105") to get yourself to a useable compression ratio for a turbo.

I would second getting panchitos, the optional 68cc chamber is perfect for this motor as it gives a compression ratio of 8.2-1 with a .040 deck. With B pistons and 5.5 rods you should be perfect.

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock keeps a Web Cam custom grind 86+5 to be used with 1.4 or 1.5 rockers. You might like that better, worth checking out at least. I'd change to cam with high 1.4+ ratio rockers if you are building it from scratch, it's better technology... so why not? At this point in time it would be very easy and inexpensive to change cams and get new rockers.

The 110 has a bad reputation generally. It's very "old school"
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

Aren't you knocking on 250hp's door with your 1679 with one of those "crappy" 110 cams?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I would guess you will have too high compression ratio with stock heads bored for 94's. Turbo will make the problem worse.

A quick check on the calculator shows 9:1 compression with a 53cc chamber,. 040" deck height, and a 94mm bore. Not bad. Make it .060" deck height and your down to 8.5:1 compression. That's not a terrible place for efi. Especially if you don't go nuts on the boost. Sure new heads would be better, but i wouldn't be afraid to run it like that on stockers for cheap money.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

allamaabroad wrote:
I'm building something very similar, 78.4 x 94, panchitos with CNC 68cc chambers, CB2288 (FK8), 1.4 rockers, TD04-13 turbo.

With stock heads cut to 94, at best you'll have 52cc chambers, which means runing a massive deck height (.105") to get yourself to a useable compression ratio for a turbo.

I would second getting panchitos, the optional 68cc chamber is perfect for this motor as it gives a compression ratio of 8.2-1 with a .040 deck. With B pistons and 5.5 rods you should be perfect.

That will be a killer engine your building. You will be giggling like a schoolgirl when you get into the meat of that boost!!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Aren't you knocking on 250hp's door with your 1679 with one of those "crappy" 110 cams?

No...it's the crappier 100 cam......with 1.38 rockers........the Travesty!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Wink Cool

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

Every cam is a turbo cam. Sloppy mechanics 101

Is this a maximum effort build to post huge dyno numbers for social media likes? No? Then build it, skip the porting, your turbo is your porting have fun being faster than 99.85% of NA bugs

VW engine builds crack me up. “Will this super specific set of parts do something magical a different combination of super specific parts won’t”

1965 Chevy c30, Microsquirt turbo aluminum 5.3/nv4500
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Will it work? Reply with quote

I agree. Build it, see what you like and what you dont, and move forward from there. It's a lot of work to go from nothing to efi and turbo. Add building an engine into the mix and you will be lucky to ever finish.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: