Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hella H4 Headlights
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
I think you'd want to install an H4 bulb than that round one you have.

Maybe Im dense, but we're can I get one ? I've searched and this bulb is all I found that fits. Is there a link?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

nvmipis1 wrote:
pitargue wrote:

Maybe Im dense, but we're can I get one ? I've searched and this bulb is all I found that fits. Is there a link?

A H4 light bulb will not fit in the early reflector. The base of the bulb is different. However, there are H4 bulbs with bilux / early bulb bases out there, but I have not seen them for sale in the US. Just use what you have.

Also installing extreme bright marker light bulb ( like somebody said in your own first posting ) does not give you more light to see. Based on the location of the bulb it most likely only blind the incoming traffic a lot.

Bright lights does not mean you see more! A good lens pattern is needed to give you more driving light at night. In other words , a miss matched headlight or bad reflector or just a flat piece of window glass in front of the bulb does NOT help to get a good result.

You can use that wording " H4 Birne 12V mit Bilux Sockel P45T für Umrüstung " and do a search with it. You will find them overseas.

BTW; stay with your own first posting. Keeps everything together. There is lots of bad and danger advice in this one here from other member.

Last edited by Tvättbjörn on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
nvmipis1 wrote:
pitargue wrote:

H4 light bulb will not fit in the early reflector. The base of the bulb is different. However, there are H4 bulbs with bilux / early bulb bases out there, but I have not seen them for sale in the US. Just use what you have.

Thank you, this helps me decide it I want to continue with these or just keep what I already have.

Is there a bulb that is higher in wattage to help with the brightness? This particular bulb ia 45w/40w .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

This is my set up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

Not that I know of . Never seen higher wattage in that style of bulb. The bulb is correct for your headlight.

That is also a difference between sealed beam and Euro style headlights. Sealed beam reflector rarely go bad because it is a sealed unit. On Euro style headlights the reflector does go bad at some point, but when it is in good working order you have the best possible light when cruising down the Autobahn at 150mph Laughing Very Happy .

Last edited by Tvättbjörn on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Not that I know of . The bulb is correct for your headlight.

A member mentioned this to me on an otber thread

"Your problem could be if you use H4s in Bilux headlights that the bulb is not in the correct position and therefore not in the focal point of the reflector.

You can get special Halogen Bulbs for the R2 socket, which would be better, than using H4s in the wrong socket"

I'm not entirely sure what the above means...🙄
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

nvmipis1 wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:

"Your problem could be if you use H4s in Bilux headlights that the bulb is not in the correct position and therefore not in the focal point of the reflector.

You can get special Halogen Bulbs for the R2 socket, which would be better, than using H4s in the wrong socket"

Not sure what a R2 socket is. P45T is the style of bulb base. Like I said , there is plenty of bad advice out there. Everything is designed to work together, Anything thrown together can have a bad ending. Almost anything is possible, just like installing brake pads in the wrong caliper. Just because it is called "brake pad " it does not mean it works the way it meant too in the wrong caliper..

Update. Just did some research. R2 and P45 looks the same. Looks like it did get a new name for some stupid reason Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tvättbjörn on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
nvmipis1 wrote:
Tvättbjörn wrote:

Not sure what a R2 socket is. Like I said , there is plenty of bad advice out there. Everything is designed to work together, Anything thrown together can have a bad ending. Almost anything is possible, just like installing brake pads in the wrong caliper. Just because it is called "brake pad " it does not mean it works the way it meant too in the wrong caliper..

Good point.
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

My bad. I thought a Hella flat H4 was installed as that is what the first post mentioned. Didn't realize that a different headlight was being discussed. My apologies.

Here's the flat H4's I took off from my notch. They take the H4 bulbs. (My car had sealed beams originally. I bought the flat Hella H4's locally from a craigslist ad.) These flat Hella H4's are exactly the same as the first post of this thread.

I wanted Marchals to match my driving lights. Unfortunately, they are for RHD's. (Notice the flute pattern). But since I very rarely drive at night, it'll do for the time being.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

There are a lot of options with P45t base bulbs - you can get halogen bulbs, LED bulbs, brighter 'regular' filament bulbs - they all have pros and cons.

A brighter filament bulb will be brighter but not last anywhere near as long - 'a bulb twice as bright burns 1/2 as long'. The bulbs get VERY hot.

Halogens are going to be very bright but they're hard to focus using older reflectors - you might wind up with unusable flood lights for headlamps. I wasn't able to find a set of halogens that I could get good focused light out of them. The bulbs got VERY hot.

LED bulbs, unless aimed/oriented properly in the housing will be worse. LED bulbs are easy to mass produce and most of them don't work properly because they're not tested by the manufacturer - they just make them and leave the rest up to the user.

I am using LED bulbs with an adapter made to fit H4 (P43t) bulb to P45t - I can adjust the beam so that it doesn't blind other drivers. I get decent lighting out of it.

This picture shows the light from about 6' from the bench - in real world use - the beam cut off is a bit sharper and it doesn't blind oncoming traffic.

Last edited by ataraxia on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
I wanted Marchals to match my driving lights. Unfortunately, they are for RHD's. (Notice the flute pattern). But since I very rarely drive at night, it'll do for the time being.

I'd make a black vinyl sticker to cover that area at lower left (which aims the beam to the upper right) to avoid glare to oncoming drivers (and likely a ticket).
You might even find them online since this is a common temporary fix for those driving in Europe.
Chupa7hingy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

Hella makes a halogen bulb for the old style. Found a pair of NOS Hellas and they take the "odd" P45 base. Amazon has them:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SJ592X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Run good in the old reflectors.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella H4 Headlights Reply with quote

And these are the higher wattage ones. The P45t halogen come in different wattages only the 40/45W are street legal in the EU. But nobody notices usually.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: