Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Crusty little Bug got a little more done, SINCE the injectors were delayed by a day. Got the final trimming completed and started to tack it into place!

Pulled the clamps and adjusted the alignment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I marked the final cut lines with a new sharpie and dove into cutting the top opening to final size.

Check out the hump down the line.

This is very shallow. My hand found a small sticker hanging out from the cut. Hate when that happens.

It’s final resting spot!,,

The start of many plugs! Got to here after 6 hours of measuring, double measuring, clamping the top in, removing, measuring.......you get it! Avoiding the very thing that needed to happen.....get to welding!

And why you will not see an update for a few weekends. The good ol 2005 Duramax needs some serious love. 8 new injectors, new return lines, new fuel filter housing, new fuel filter, new LBZ intake (the LLYs are so damn small)! Then I need to R&R the water pump. It’s been good for 170000 miles. Replacing ALL of the cooling system hoses, the 2 thermostats, then flush and fill with new GM coolant and appropriate water (distilled is what I remember, but....). Afterwards, hook up my bi-directional meter and recode the injectors. WISH ME LUCK!

Oh yeah. Got 4 injectotors replaced today. 6 hours! Not fun!

Thing is like 10 inches long!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got the other 4 injectors replaced the following day. Started it up and it ran like crap! It actually ran better with just the 4 new injectors on 1, 3, 5 & 7. It was like a new truck. Anyways, drove it home from my sisters house running like crap. Parked it and figured I would review what was happening in the morning.

Woke up, got ready and then out to the truck. Started it up. Started up fine but just lint running well. Broke out the scanner and plugged it in. All injectors looking good at .56 to .61, but the balance rates did not look right. -2.91 at cyl #1 all the way to 1.75 at cyl #5! Go figure!

Plus it had about 40 different service codes, for each system. So, I just cleared all of them. Let’s start at ground zero. I did document those lists though, before clearing them all!

Cleared them and the truck is running like the day I pulled out of the dealership in 2005!!!!

So, BACK TO THE BUG!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

First up is the water pump on the kids Jeep Liberty. Done!

Now, onto the Bug!

With the remaining daylight available I finally welded in the ragtop clip!!! Milestone!!!!!

And with all the plugs welded!

Now, one down side. I got a little over zealous and the top reformatted on the passenger side a tiny amount. It does not match the curve in the template. The upside is I still have the rail out, so, I can pound this into the proper shape, then weld in the missing rail. I would think this will make it great again. The drivers side did not change at all. Same process, maybe a little bit slower because I had to rearrange at one spot when the welder leads would no longer reach.

Still need to grind it all down! Wish me luck!!!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Broke out the grinder and went to town. One low spot at the Driver’s front corner. I will need to drill a 1/2” hole through the corner support and knock the low spot flush. Shot some primer onto the exposed steel.

With that Ragtop frame secure, it is time to start restrengthening the body. I need the body strong, so that I can finish the needed repairs. So, onto other areas!

Started installing the interior vent plate at the engine fresh air intake. Got it up in to its spot and could not remember where exactly the panel’s bottom edge is supposed to be. But, thankfully, I kept the piece that the vents were welded to.

Took the piece and placed it up into the area. Lined up the edge with the installed panel and marked it for holes to be drilled, to utilize a few Clecos.

That allowed me to easily set this panel into its spot.

Maybe I can get that welded in tomorrow.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Got me a few hours today!!!

Remove the air vents one more time. Cleaned all the surfaces, sprayed them with weld through primer. Lined it all back up, Cleco’d it in place and started welding.

Had to find a way to back the holes from drilling out the spot welds between the louvres and the fold at the engine lid edge. Came up with bending my copper spoon to fit up in there.

All welded in, ground down and primed with weld through primer. Decided to spray it in that so that I can go back and fill several holes.

Until next weekend!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

The rag graft looks great.
Also the rear vent reinstallation is coming along nicely too.

Have you put any thought into a final color for this car? I know it's a little early. But I'm curious.

That Fn Xevin tells me you're a Vandal's fan. I posted "Urban Struggle" in the favorite album thread today. That song got stuck in my head last fall while grinding oats for cattle feed. Go figure, ranch work would drum that diddy up from the past.

Looking forward to the weekend update on your progress.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

great job with the ragtop install, it is not an easy task I believe to achieve.
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The rag graft looks great.
Also the rear vent reinstallation is coming along nicely too.

Have you put any thought into a final color for this car? I know it's a little early. But I'm curious.

That Fn Xevin tells me you're a Vandal's fan. I posted "Urban Struggle" in the favorite album thread today. That song got stuck in my head last fall while grinding oats for cattle feed. Go figure, ranch work would drum that diddy up from the past.

Looking forward to the weekend update on your progress.

Thank you! That was a big leap of faith, tackling that ragtop install! Having never did anything like that before, made it a tiny bit intimidating. But fortunately I was blessed with a mountain of confidence, from birth! It’s has been a curse and a blessing!

Vandals, YES! Big time Agnostic Front fan, Minor Threat, DRI, DI, Death Machine, etc.....etc.... Anything a poor, hard core punk could listen to!!!! That music was my inspiration for flying out of skate park bowls and backyard pools. Skated with some world famous skaters back in the day. Grew up 7 miles from Pipeline in Upland,CA. My ratpack and I would skate uphill to Pipeline, a good hour and a half. Pay our dues, apply the Recktors and helmet for protection and go get wild and stupid. Laid myself out many a times on the hard concrete bowl bottom! Had Tony Hawk, Steve Alba, Lance Mountain, etc...etc, drop into the “Combi” bowl while skating in it. They had full right of way, so you would have to get out. There was also a huge wood 1/2 pipe in Chino, Ca. About 7 miles the other direction. Spent some time there as well, but no big names joined in. Had me a ton of fun skating, fighting and drinking. Just being a stupid poor kid!

Color of the car will be it’s original one, Ultra Maroon with red interior with black piping. Bitchen color scheme! I got really lucky as those are my favorites!

Funny you mention cattle in your reply. After skating all day at Chino 1/2 pipe. We would go by a liquor store, sit outside and ask “older” people to purchase us beer. We would give them 20 bucks with no change due for a 12 pack of Miller G D! Damn, those were good times! We then skated out, as far as we could into the cow pastures in Chino. Dark as all heck. We would then open up the 12 packs and start drinking. Get good and wasted and spend the rest of the night skating back home. Maybe stray off into McDonalds for a .59 cheeseburger or two. Maybe get in a fight along the way and crash at a park to sober up before rolling up to the house! My poor parents! That was every weekend for 4 years! Then I meet the wife and everything changed! That’s when my hard core “young and stupid” days ended. Married six years later. That’s a rough summarization!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! I know TMI!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
great job with the ragtop install, it is not an easy task I believe to achieve.

Thank you! It was not easy. It is not so physical as it is mentally draining. The double checking, triple checking plays tricks with your head. Even while tacking in the clip, I was second guessing the position forward. Then I thought it was off center side to side. That was a whole bunch of checks, once again. Think I got it! Time will tell.

Thanks for checking in, I have been in and out of your thread as well. You got some skills! Loved the front wheel well/quarter panel repair!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Saturday was a good day working on the Bug.

Started out repairing the replacement inner ragtop rail. Several of the caged nuts needed to be replaced due to rusted in bolts. I had to locate and then order, acceptable nuts. They got here a week ago, but there were other things to do. Today was the day to repair the inner rail.

So, here is the back side of the inner rail. This is one of the cages for a floating nut. I have folded up the side to easily remove and replace the square nut. There are 7 nuts that need to be replaced on this side.

Then I slide a new nut, same square size as the old one, 11mm on each side. Thread is 5mm x .8

I then secure the nut within the cage by screwing in a screw from the top.

Oh! I purchased "weld nuts" because they were the correct size externally. BUT they have tangs at their four attaching corners that I ground off. Here is a ground one and a non ground one.

With the nut secured. I then folded the cage shut. A few of the segments broke off during the refolding.

Top side with the retaining screw.

Some of the broken off sides.

With all of the nuts within their cages. I went through and welded the corners shut once again.

Ah, the inevitable. While holding the piece in place and trying to tack weld the corner, I missed and instead welded my pliers to the top of the cage! Not the first time, nor the last time. I always laugh when this happens!

And here it is all welded up. I then cleaned the carbon off and primed it.

That has me able to turn my attention back to the ragtop clip. I need to weld up the holes from removing the old crappy inner rail. Oh shit, whats that!!! Is that a crack? Check it out.

See it? No? How about with this picture.

Come on Jimbo, you are yanking my chain. I don't see anything! Piss off man!

No, look closely. Here I will circle it for your dumb ass!

See it now?!?!

Yep, that is a crack. Betting that happens to all of them. Or maybe it was from being moved around a bunch of times. Or maybe it is because it's Daddy did not give it any love. Daddy Issues! What ever the reason. I now get to fix it!

So, lets clamp some copper in back of that and hit it with the o' welder!

Ok. Ground that down. Welded and ground down all the holes, too.

Lets drop the rail in place and weld it in!

Then onto 2 pin holes in the top.

That was it for Saturday. Got the call to Bar B Q!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Sunday I wanted to get out early. But I promised the wife that I would go try paddle boarding with her and our great friends. I do not own a paddle board, so since I got the wife one for a Christmas present, I thought I could borrow the one she used before. Great idea!

Drive over to the Harbor, off loaded the boards. Set them in the water. I only have paddled 1 time, 2 years ago. So, I asked my buddy, Scot, for some pointers. I took his advise, stepped up on the borrowed board and SUNK IT! Yep, turns out these boards have weight limits. This one was for a small guy, 200 lbs. I am 250 lbs, on a good day! So, Scot, being the experienced paddler, offered me his board.

I stood up on it, it did not submerge like the other one, but the water did kind of roll over the edge. But I carried on. I gave it a few strokes with the paddle and got out about 20 feet. With that, I looked back and said I will row back onto shore and we can all decide where we are going to go. THAT IS WHEN IT HAPPENED! RIGHT THEN! I diverted my attention away from the delicate balance and BAM! In the water the big guy goes! Okay, the water temps are way down. Its like 52 degrees! And my feet are telling me it is colder down 5 feet under water! I managed to walk the board back in, really quickly. Completely soaked and now in the breeze, I gave up. I was freezing! Decided I would give up for the day. We all agreed. The 3 of them took off paddling and I carried my water logged ass back up to the car, carrying the board, paddle and my soaked sweat shirt! Fun stuff. Loaded the board onto the car and drove home. Offloaded the board, rinsed it down. Then got into a HOT shower. Once warmed back up, I got dressed and into the garage I returned, to the Bug!

With the rail welded in, it was time to grind, ONCE AGAIN! Does this cycle never end? No worries, I like it!

Got me an idea. I have been using a cut off wheel to do the majority of the grinding. It works awesome and is really quick. But it still takes alot of time and the disc wears rapidly. So, had me an epiphany! What if I stack 4 disc onto the shaft!!!!! Let me tell you, IT IS TOTALLY WICKED!!!!!!

10 minutes later, it was ground down. I then shot some primer on it. So, 15 minutes max.

2 tiny issues which I will need to resolve. I had 2 weld blobs show up inside the threaded portion of the caged nuts. Not there before welding in the rail. But now I can see them and have to repair. Tried prying them out but they are stuck well. Maybe a Dremel bit that I can grind it out with and retap the nut.

Test fillting the rails and the header bow.

Follows the curve perfectly!

Love this view.

With that looking great and knowing it is solid. It was time to divert my attention to the rear apron. Time to weld it in!!!

Popped it onto the car.

The engine seal channel looks to be in alignment!

I was so tempted to weld it in, just like that but figured I should ask for a few dimensions, first.

I need 2. One from the firewall engine seal channel to the center front edge of the rear apron. Like this.

Looks like I have 18 15/16ths inches. Anyone else?

Then a dimension from the front transmission mount, at the pan, between the two studs.

Back to the same point on the center front edge of the apron.

Looks to be 39 1/2 inches. Any help is much appreciated!!!

I then installed the decklid. Lets see how stuff lines up!

Looking good.

All looks perfect!

Wait a minute. See it?

Right here.

Looks like the decklid needs some loving. It is sitting proud of the vents and on the drivers side, the body line is a skewed by 1/4 inch.

Check out this shot looking down the top toward the decklid. The decklid is proud by 3/16 inch, after I push and pulled on it for several minutes.

Bent it some more. Got the dolly and hammer out. Even pulled out a 2x4 to help pry on the low spot. Got it about a 1/16". Just a little bit more!

And that was the weekend update. Stay tuned for next weekends update!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
. . . I had 2 weld blobs show up inside the threaded portion of the caged nuts. Not there before welding in the rail. But now I can see them and have to repair. Tried prying them out but they are stuck well. Maybe a Dremel bit that I can grind it out with and retap the nut.

Jim, I had complete confidence that you would be able to modify the weld-nuts to work for ya . . .
But, gosh darn it, please forgive me that I forgot to mention . . . stick these into the weld-nuts before ya weld . . . https://www.mcmaster.com/90349A115/
I'm diggin' yer progress . . . keep up the great work!!!! Cool
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I posted "Urban Struggle" in the favorite album thread today. That song got stuck in my head last fall while grinding oats for cattle feed.

Cowboy look was the one you saw,
Can't change now cause the clothes you bought?

I'd say they had a pretty big influence!
Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
. . . I had 2 weld blobs show up inside the threaded portion of the caged nuts. Not there before welding in the rail. But now I can see them and have to repair. Tried prying them out but they are stuck well. Maybe a Dremel bit that I can grind it out with and retap the nut.

Jim, I had complete confidence that you would be able to modify the weld-nuts to work for ya . . .
But, gosh darn it, please forgive me that I forgot to mention . . . stick these into the weld-nuts before ya weld . . . https://www.mcmaster.com/90349A115/
I'm diggin' yer progress . . . keep up the great work!!!! Cool

Hey Blitz! You know what sucks? I was covering the holes with pieces of copper plate. At ONE, yes ONE point in the welding near both of those nuts, I either bumped the copper or knocked off. Looking back I should have secured them with magnets or used bolts as you mentioned. But really, what are the odd of getting 2 holes in 1 on the same course? Maybe 1 if you are really having a great day, but 2!?!?

No biggy! Been through this one or two times. I will get my Dremel out. Grind out the inside flush with the threads and run a tapered tap, followed by a bottoming tap through there. They should clean up easy enough.
It just sucked after getting through all that. But really, if that is the worst of it, I am pretty dang fortunate! Again, it just steel. And, I am on no time line with a customer! Those are 2 great things on my side!

Thanks for looking in and encouraging me! I always can use it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
I posted "Urban Struggle" in the favorite album thread today. That song got stuck in my head last fall while grinding oats for cattle feed.

Cowboy look was the one you saw,
Can't change now cause the clothes you bought?

I'd say they had a pretty big influence!
Razz

Love that song!!! It is now playing in my head! I will be singing it ALL DAY!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

ANY UPDATE?

I keep checking and wanna see what you have been up to this last week.

Another good oldie, Surf Punks. "My Beach!" and "My Wave!"

Link

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
ANY UPDATE?

I keep checking and wanna see what you have been up to this last week.

Another good oldie, Surf Punks. "My Beach!" and "My Wave!"

Link

Surf Punks are good!

Well, alot has happened, but not on the Bug. The truck is giving me shit right now. Balance rates of the injectors were really bad. Pulled all of them and replaced them. Took me 2 full days. I hate working on the ground!

Got that done and it was running sweet, just like off the lot! Parked it that night. Out to it in the morning and it starts spitting and sputtering and dies! WTF! Figure out it has air in the lines. Find the filter housing is allowing air in through itself somehow or it is the injection pump. I have changed out the filter housing.

It has been good for the last week, but this morning I had a hard start. That was followed by a injector knock. I opened the hood with it knocking away and started jiggling the injector harness. BAM! Found me a spot in the harness that must be compromised. Of course the terminals I need are not available easily, nor is the wire with the correct tracer. So, I have been searching for a used harness. They want an arm and a leg for those damn things.

Just when that was maybe going to happen. The kids car broke down on the side of the freeway, 60 miles away. I got to go rent a car towing trailer. One that all 4 wheel could get up in the air, because the rear diff was locked up. Got to the kid around 7pm. Poor thing had been sitting in the car for 5 hours! Managed to get the car on the trailer - dont ask. It was not easy nor fun. Makes my lip curl thinking about it!

With the car on the trailer it was back to the house. It was around 10pm when we returned. I had to park in the hood. Thats a scary thing, because they may try to tow my 12 ton truck attached to the trailer with a Jeep on it! I took the chance and did not even get a warning. Finally a break!

Next day, had to get the non rolling car off of the trailer and into the garage. Had to remove the driveshaft to allow the diff to turn. Seems the transmission is all locked up. A few hours later the car was off the trailer, and got the car in the garage. I then had to return the trailer to the rental company. So, back down the freeway I went. A few hours later, I returned, with no trailer in tow. Only cost me 67.00. Oops! I mean it only costs her $67.00!

After returning, I pulled the transmission. Figured out it is a 42RLE. Also figured out I could not tear it down and rebuild it. So, called a shop I have used before and they now have the transmission. Told me 2, maybe 3 days. $780.00 for the labor plus any hard parts. Seems fair enough.

So, maybe the Bug this coming weekend. IF, everything can hold their shit together!

Thanks for checking in on me!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be easier to weld up the exhaust cutouts on the bench before welding the apron to the car? By the way great to see all the progress the last few months, big milestones!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Keep it up Jimbo. I’m sure you’ll get through the new car BS and get back on the bug in no time.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jimmy V’s 54 Oval Project Reply with quote

Teeroy wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to weld up the exhaust cutouts on the bench before welding the apron to the car? By the way great to see all the progress the last few months, big milestones!

Yes, yes it would. But first we have to get the body sitting right. The doors sitting correctly (they are close), the engine compartment figured out. I am 100% certain the firewall is in the correct place, because I utilized the old weld drill out holes for plug welding it back in. The apron, well, I had to replace both end pieces due to excessive rust issues. I am confident they are in the right place, because the fenders line up 100%. That should mean the apron is right on the money, but.......I like knowing for sure. Since I failed to measure that distance........I now get to wait for the measurement. I am one lucky SOB!

Thanks for checking out the thread Teeroy! Hopefully I have the apron all welded up next time you check in!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 84

Jump to: