Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

realmechanic wrote:
Had to deflate the rears to get them on so it’s definitely a tight fit with that size tire on my 60.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you can roll the inside of the fender, that is not visible from the outside but i may make it just a tad easier?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
realmechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Believe me i thought about that when they didnt just slide right in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AJBLAIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I was wondering what you guys with bigger than 1600dp engines run for exhaust. What exhaust has the most ground clearance? Any input would be great, I have been checking out the A1 Sidewinder but I want to look into alternate options.

Just threw some big meats on my patina 64 SWR/BG Standard, General Grabbers 215/75/15. I am stoked.
zehbeh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

AJBLAIR wrote:

Just threw some big meats on my patina 64 SWR/BG Standard, General Grabbers 215/75/15. I am stoked.

Sounds like a perfect combination. Any pics of that bus would be appreciated.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

El Guero wrote:
Selling a set of Thunderer 195/15’s with slotted wheels. DM me for info. Thx

Why the sale? I ask because I'm selling mine.

I've talked with some people (myself included) who think this tire is TOO stiff and too heavy for use under a bus, unless fully loaded.

I'm selling mine. I have run them now at 28 / 30 and it's still not as good as the old Hercules tires. Looking for feed back on the too stiff/ too heavy theory.

I'm thinking that SL rated tires might be the minimum (such as the Grabber ATX 205 75 15 / 1609 lbs @ 44 psi)) and the LT would be a better application in a tire like the Grabber ATX in a 215 75 15 / 1764 @ 44 psi OR the BFG AT 1765 lbs @ 50 psi. Either would be a good application.

All that said, what was it about the T Rangers you didn't like. If that was the case.

dgsaz
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

AJBLAIR wrote:
I was wondering what you guys with bigger than 1600dp engines run for exhaust. What exhaust has the most ground clearance? Any input would be great, I have been checking out the A1 Sidewinder but I want to look into alternate options.

This setup is for super slammed busses, but the design gives you max clearance:

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CLASSIC-SPORT-VW...-p87513435

dgsaz
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

SaskVW wrote:
FunkFlex61 wrote:
My 1960 walkthrough Kombi with a new set of BFG 215/75/15’s. Loving the change from bias plys.

HI,

I have 215/75/R15 on my 64 Single Cab and I'm in the process of getting a new 2180 stroker. Getting some repairs done to the tranny as well and have the opportunity to change the gearing. What gearing are you running? I've got the 4.12 R&P and 0.82 4th gear. I'm considering going to a 3.88 r&P

Thanks

With that engine and the gearing in either transmissions you could be motoring at 65 -70 mph with out much effort. How do these tires handle at speed?

dgsaz
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
SaskVW wrote:
FunkFlex61 wrote:
My 1960 walkthrough Kombi with a new set of BFG 215/75/15’s. Loving the change from bias plys.

HI,

I have 215/75/R15 on my 64 Single Cab and I'm in the process of getting a new 2180 stroker. Getting some repairs done to the tranny as well and have the opportunity to change the gearing. What gearing are you running? I've got the 4.12 R&P and 0.82 4th gear. I'm considering going to a 3.88 r&P

Thanks

With that engine and the gearing in either transmissions you could be motoring at 65 -70 mph with out much effort. How do these tires handle at speed?

dgsaz

I don't know about this exact setup, but I have a 3.44 with a .89, 2332cc with these exact tires. I can cruise at 70 and the engine is comfy and the tires feel nice and stable.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
getgeoff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Here is my 66

Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I saw this in the classifieds and the meats looked super juicy to me. The owner told me they are 215/75/15 bfg mud terrain’s that are much coveted here.

I am looking for the best performing tire with something of a tall stock look 👀. I got to thinking and would appreciate anyone’s thoughts and or experiences.

A little google throws out a 6” rim width for a 215/75 section. https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/charts/tire-width-for-a-wheel-rim-size-chart

So I assume a 4.5x15” bus wheel would reduce the handling characteristics and a 6x15” would help the tire perform better / correctly.

In short I am thinking of a 5.5” 6” or 6.5” x 15” wheel rim. Possibly stock 356 rims or (dare I say it) banded stocks.

Assuming this could be done well what do people think. Could this help keep as best a handling in corners as possible??

Yes of course we could say that this might not be noticeable with stock 60’s sloppy steering. But I am thinking of this point in isolation of any suspension & steering upgrades. I am considering all stock height handling upgrades later down the line.

I appreciate anyone’s thoughts or discussions around this brain fart.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?

Last edited by Bendango on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

i liked 5.5s on my 66. never ran 215s though. the mangels 356 style 5.5s do push the tire out a good bit.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
FandFVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Before and after from lowered to stock with Kumho 215/75/15 Roadventure AT51s.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Wow very cool piece of BC bus history..now in California? Looks good up high too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

duhbrr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 215/75r15 D load range.

Pretty tight fit even when aired down, they really hold their shape due to the D load range.

Very happy with them, I've had them on a couple other vehicles and they're just as good on the bus as any other application.

Smooth, quite, and less than the BFG KO2 option, I think just a couple bucks more than the Grabbers.

10/10 would recommend.

pondoras box wrote:
We complain about people "flipping" cars on here but we have no problem hitting up Amazon or Walmart for flipping cheap foreign junk!
Dubbed743
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Time for new rubber on my '65 Sundial. Currently running a mix and match set of 185R14C on my Stock 14" wheels, but as far as I can tell my only choices to continue using the 14" wheels are:

- Hankook Vantra LT in 185R14
- Kumho Solus TA11 in 195/70/14
- Hankook Kinergy ST in 195/70/14

Unfortunately none of these look knobby enough to give me confidence in snow, so now considering purchasing a set of aftermarket rims to get me better tire selection. Not looking to dramatically deviate from ~800 tire rev/mile, as my 1776 /w Freeway Flyer provides a nice mix of acceleration and top speed for my driving style.

Last time I looked circa 2010, only aftermarket wheel options were cheap EMPIs, so hopefully there are now some other options out there. Cost not a factor.

Pic for views, and TIA!

junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Dubbed743 - are the Grabbers NLA in 14"? They're awesome.
Dubbed743
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

junichi wrote:
Dubbed743 - are the Grabbers NLA in 14"? They're awesome.

I see these: GRABBER A/TX - SIZE: 27X8.5R14LT

But they seem way too wide for a stock 14"x5" bus rim?

DescriptionSizesSpecsWarranty
Specs for Selected Tire
SIZE UTQG MAX.
LOAD MAX. INFLATION PRESSURE TREAD DEPTH TIRE WEIGHT RIM WIDTH RANGE MEAS. RIM WIDTH SECT. WIDTH TREAD WIDTH OVERALL DIAM. REVS. PER MILE COUNTRY OF
ORIGIN*
27X8.5R14LT
95Q C
None 1,521 lbs 50 psi 16/32" 29 lbs 6-7.5" 7" 8.6" 26.9" 772 US

Last edited by Dubbed743 on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Said it many times in other threads, and probably here too.

Cooper Starfire SF510 in 27x8.5R14LT on my single cab. Yes, it's a baywindow, but they fit split buses perfectly. Good treadwear, good traction, strong sidewalls, and quiet on the highway.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

FandFVintage wrote:

Before and after from lowered to stock with Kumho 215/75/15 Roadventure AT51s.

Man, that bus looks great both ways! Well done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Page 100 of 103

Jump to: