Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

When Covid bubbles burst
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

Just thought I would let you guy's know what has been happening at out house. WE have maintained 3 Covid bubbles: my wife and I, my daughter her 5 kids and her work from home husband and my "essential" worker son and daughter in law, her son and their 3 month old daughter. We have always been very careful. Unfortunately the Monday after Thanksgiving, my 12YO soon to be grandson was sent home from school with a headache, a 101 degree temperature and a positive Covid test. Anyway we all quarantined for the 10-14 days necessary. Eventually my wife began to keep my new 3 month granddaughter and that is when all hell hit. Turns out she was an asymptotic carrier and managed to burst all our bubbles. My wife and I came down with it as well as everyone in my daughter's family. Anyway, most got through with mild to moderate symptoms nothing like the flu, blinding headaches, super body aches, coughing etc., except of course me. I got it bad. By Saturday the 9th, I was having trouble breathing and the OXs blood level was getting into the 80's. Off to the hospital I went and spent Sat, Sunday and most of Monday on drips, steroids, blood thinners, X-rays, probes, prods and intimate scans. They sent me home on Monday afternoon and I spent the week taking home versions of everything they had been stuffing into me at the hospital. Followup at Dr. today shows lungs are clear and I am well on my way to recovery. Since I have been through this, I just wanted to say be careful out there. This isn't the flu, it can get bad FAST and put you in the hospital. Hayden
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

Glad to hear you and the family pulled through.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience, glad you are well.

-Rob
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

Wow. Rough time. I have had friends experience the same.

Glad you all are well. Bring on the vaccines!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

Glad you are OK! We need a HUGE group campout after the vaccine.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

What a chilling tale. Really shows how you can try your hardest, but it only takes 1 carrier to take down everyone around them. Wear your masks people!

Glad you're ok, man!
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

I'm also glad you are getting well.

I'm spending the winter in my bubble of 1, getting tired of being here alone, but also getting close to getting the vaccine. They say Jan 18 i will be eligible. I'm calling tomorrow to get on the list.

It's my wife I'm worried about. She is in Tacoma, WA home schooling our grand niece and her cousin. Both are 5 years old. My wife is 69 and a retired teacher and just had to help out when my nephew passed away in June (covid related).

We were planning to spend the winter in Tucson.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

i've had it twice now, 1st time i caught it was december 31st from a customer who'd just gotten back from a 6 week second honeymoon in china, he was coughing and hacking, just a cold, he said, i was fully symptomatic for 30 days and it took a further 2 months to get over, i've been down with pneumonia since mid october, so my immune system is shot.
i went back out to work at the end of march, to find another customer who was sick, she didn't know she had it.
2 sets of different anti bodies, my inlaws in Israel have had their first jab of the vaccine, they get their second at the end of this week.
and it seems Israel will vaccinate anybody if they have left over, rather than dumping it, we're talking to find out if we go over there, maybe we can both {wife and I } get vaccinated, it's looking promising, but spending 5 weeks out there, for me is not going to be ideal.
we will see, good to hear folk are recovering, but, don't let your guard down, if you've already had it, you CAN get it again.

619 201 0310
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear you're on the mend and hope that your family stays well. It sounds like you were taking wise precautions.

About two weeks ago my uncle was in a similar place as you were entering the hospital. He died on Saturday after being in a med induced coma on the vent with a tracheostomy, O2 at 95%, etc. for most of his two weeks. He was healthy, lean and a lifetime cyclist. His wife went to a holiday event and brought home COVID (no masks for their Texas christian family). Their kids had COVID earlier in the year and recovered which may have reinforced the notion with them that COVID is like an ordinary flu.

Thanks for the reminder to be cautious to help ensure that we get a few more years in our vans.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Be well.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: When Covid bubbles burst Reply with quote

Yikes.
My mom got it in an old folks home.
Some died, she didn't - but she has complications, nerve pain.

A few days ago I talked to an 18yo who doesn't believe Covid is more than a bad flu and he argued his position well.
Lots of info available to "learn", digest, debate.

I know a young guy in Seattle ~40 years, they have a 1yo. (and a Vanagon)
He just got it, Dec29, he's having a rough time NOW, as I type, he's miserable and may have lasting effects.
His wife & baby are OK. They've always followed the known Covid protocols and don't know where he got it.. I think he's holding steady & not getting worse but thats kind of a guess.
Not in a hospital.

These are both recent, until jan 2021 I couldn't say I knew anyone who had it.
My wife and I both had a "strange flu" in January one year ago that lasted 2-3 weeks.
It was flu-like, but not like a "bad" flu. But it was "different', with a dry (minor) cough.
We wonder if we caught the first round.
It was just a China thing at the time.
We hold hopes that perhaps we have acquired some level of resistance.

I hope this vaccine works out.
I don't want Covid, and I don't want anybody else getting it either.

How utterly irresponsible to spread disinformation during a public health crisis. But how can any of us know truths when there is so much disinformation about.
One thing we know, is "true colors" show in times of crisis.

I guess we're lucky in a way, maybe we can return to responsible leadership before a 'real' pandemic like the black death.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: