Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mine was a hippie bus for sure, the key chain, some dead themed stickers, red clay caked on the bottom and stuff in it from Georgia to the Upper peninsula of Michigan, they were stylin in a westy none the less Laughing
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

I worked on my 77 Westy bus a year with no hippie evidence whatsoever until I pulled the fridge and kitchen block....then I found this paper hiding between them.

Definitely Hippie evidence. I was kinda stunned, at first I was thinking it kinda looked like Jerry and then I was just like “I knew it” I could feel it all along!

This sticker was next to it in there as well. I’ve stashed then in a safe place as they’re real prices to me.

1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Your sage green 77 and my 74 probably passed each other by a few times at Dead shows..... I hadn’t paid too much attention, but digging through pics on my iPhone of it, there’s more Grateful Dead stuff on it than I realized. I also noticed I’ve had it 5 years.....yikes! Got to quit ignoring it and get it going.

Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Bought my 78 Westy in Canada, just north of Seattle, stopped at REI in Seattle &bought all our camping gear. Wife & I camped in it all the way back to Northern WI down through Yellowstone etc for more than a week.
Got home and our Millennial son said ‘come on dad, we’ve got to tear it apart, there’s got to be some weed in there’!
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Have owned it for 15 years, no weed or other hippy stuff found.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
Your sage green 77 and my 74 probably passed each other by a few times at Dead shows..... I hadn’t paid too much attention, but digging through pics on my iPhone of it, there’s more Grateful Dead stuff on it than I realized. I also noticed I’ve had it 5 years.....yikes! Got to quit ignoring it and get it going.

My buddy Kevin had a bus that color once. He called it Bali I believe. I called it highlighter and with that blue Westy plaid, it’s one of my favorite color combos. If I were doing a refresh I would prob keep some of those stickers for sure.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
AS350driver wrote:

My buddy Kevin had a bus that color once. He called it Bali I believe. I called it highlighter and with that blue Westy plaid, it’s one of my favorite color combos. If I were doing a refresh I would prob keep some of those stickers for sure.

Keep some of those stickers? Haha. I’ll be keeping every one of them. You better believe it. And I haven’t even looked in the glove box yet, or in the cabinets. Who knows what treasures I’ll find. I don’t know hardly anything about the the Grateful Dead, never even smoked a cigarette, not to mention mj or hard drugs... I did used to always crank up “Truckin” if it came on the radio on a road trip back in the day and loved the riffs. I’m def envious of whoever was driving the 74 all over back in the day. Looks like they were having a blast. Still trying to figure out why they were hating on Limp Bizkit. Maybe that was like Lynyrd Skynyrd vs Neil Young.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Ah, memories of being a FREEK. If some game developer came up with one called "Touring" it would sell, just think of the possibilities.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
WildIdea wrote:
AS350driver wrote:

Keep some of those stickers? Haha. I’ll be keeping every one of them. You better believe it. And I haven’t even looked in the glove box yet, or in the cabinets. Who knows what treasures I’ll find. I don’t know hardly anything about the the Grateful Dead, never even smoked a cigarette, not to mention mj or hard drugs... I did used to always crank up “Truckin” if it came on the radio on a road trip back in the day and loved the riffs. I’m def envious of whoever was driving the 74 all over back in the day. Looks like they were having a blast. Still trying to figure out why they were hating on Limp Bizkit. Maybe that was like Lynyrd Skynyrd vs Neil Young.

Gone are the days ....

I imagine chocolate starfish might have been a little much for some at the time but many think the dead are unlistenable, so to each their own, could easily be a no dead sticker somewhere.
watertrails
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Okay so This is my double rainbow moment!!!

I found this just last night while cleaning my cylinder cooling tins... just above number two and the alternator I uncovered (under dirt grease and grime, hardly visible) this stamping from the factory. What does it mean??? I mean I know what it means but, What does it mean??? (hence the double rainbow guy moment).

I've posted this here because I think it's the ultimate evidence but I may have to post elsewhere to get the answer as to the meaning.

please help, I don't understand

Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Prophet Bus!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
Prophet Bus!

Definitely that, and not an engine/emissions code for factory assembly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:

I imagine chocolate starfish might have been a little much for some at the time but many think the dead are unlistenable, so to each their own, could easily be a no dead sticker somewhere.

Theres lots of ways to be a hippie - it doesnt have to be the Dead.

In my life, it's been Jimmy Buffett. We're beach oriented here, and I remember multiple shows a year, over a number of years in the 90s here in Mass, seeing Jimmy with our group of margarita-drinking beach Hobos, shrimp, cheeseburgers, and inflatable sharks.

Good times.

So the Dead dancing bears and skeleton decals I took off my Bus got replaced by Jimmy Buffett and beach-bum decals. Cool

To each their own for sure. Cool Jimmy has played Uncle John's Band in concert though.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I worked on my 77 Westy bus a year with no hippie evidence whatsoever until I pulled the fridge and kitchen block....then I found this paper hiding between them.

I hope you removed the Rust Acceleration Package Pink Edition from the walls,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

Parrot heads are just the nicest people , nicer Bus's, regular jobs. Good people, good times.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

In my life, it's been Jimmy Buffett. We're beach oriented here, and I remember multiple shows a year, over a number of years in the 90s here in Mass, seeing Jimmy with our group of margarita-drinking beach Hobos, shrimp, cheeseburgers, and inflatable sharks.

Good times.

So the Dead dancing bears and skeleton decals I took off my Bus got replaced by Jimmy Buffett and beach-bum decals. Cool

To each their own for sure. Cool Jimmy has played Uncle John's Band in concert though.

Sounds like a great time!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

I've stripped a few buses and every one we've torn apart had one of these lil trinkets in them Laughing Laughing

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RocketA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I've stripped a few buses and every one we've torn apart had one of these lil trinkets in them Laughing Laughing

That long one....coke spoon on one end and roach clip on the other? Depending on the user’s mood? Never seen anything like it before.
madscientist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

HoboBus wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

Good times.

I have been going to Jimmy’s show at the parrot head “Mecca” Cincinnati for 20 yrs. Cincinnati is where he first used the term “parrot head” to describe the crowd. Definitely an awesome beach bum hippy vibe at river bend outside listening to him play Uncle Johns Band or Southern Cross. Although his cover of purple rain was awesome in 2003.

I have also seen Dead and Co at river bend in Cincinnati. My little brother got pissed at me and my buddy for walking in circles in the parking checking out air cooled vw’s people drove in to the show. Saw about 4 busses and various beetles, I don’t think we saw a lic plate that wasn’t Ohio or Ky so locals like us. I drove the civic since I wanted ac in the traffic.

Very similar vibe to a Jimmy Buffet and Dead and Co show.

I found various wooden pipes and a recipe for muscadine wine when I cleaned out my bus in 2008 several previous owners left clues that my bus went from New Mexico to Georgia to Tennessee before finally ending up in east ky with me.
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Evidence you indeed own a old Hippie bus Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
WildIdea wrote:

I hope you removed the Rust Acceleration Package Pink Edition from the walls,

Is the insulation bad to have in there? Didn't most come with it installed in some form?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: