Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

NOS lock covers from Joanna Lau Jaime in the Philippines. though I do not know if these might be for an earlier design.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Those are split truck covers. You might get them to work if you separate the two pieces.

Got this image from Cory's page.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

By the time March 2017 rolled around, a bothersome engine oil leak had developed, dripping from the bell housing. It's got to be either one of the forward oil gallery plugs or the crankshaft main seal. <sigh> OK. Time to pull the engine again. While I'm at it, I'll change out the alternator since the ALT light has been glowing.

I came up with a method for an engine pull that does not strain the back, and will not allow the engine to fall. You can just slide it along the planks.

Engine in place:

Remove the carburetors:

Take off the bumper. Lay it down on 4x4 fence posts, and slide it on down.

raygreenwood floated a theory that perhaps the main seal needs to be a 12-mm-thick seal instead of 10-mm. These are used in Vanagons, apparently, and he has seen them in Type IV engines before. Well, OK, it was worth a look. Got a 12-mm seal from Go Westy and off we go...

It turns out that this engine wants the 10-mm seal, after all. So, I use another of those nice SABA ones with Permatex Aviation, and a new graphite O-ring, and felt washer this time. I again used new flywheel bolts and new 5-hole washer like yer s'ppose' to.

Sheesh, everything looked fine. Where the heck is this oil coming from?

Got it all back together again, and ... no change. Still dumps oil. Crap.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I've been working a problem in the background. There is an extra set of wires (extra compared to what I am used to) in the headlight buckets... and I finally figured out that this is part of European headlight spec, with the extra bulb for the "parking light" (also known by many other names) that glows white inside the main headlight assemblies. I tried a set of H4s that BusDepot said had this feature, but could never get them to fit. I finally found the proper Hella H4 headlamps, and the special parking light bulb holder that fits in them, and had them imported from Germany though a friend there since the vendor would not send things to the USA. It took me awhile to figure out that the inner trim ring that we use on headlights in North America is not used with these, and in fact the mounting is simpler.
First, the headlight buckets needed refinishing. May as well do it now...

Note the "extra" gray wire (not in the plug housing) and the grounding pigtail.

This gray wire and ground are to be attached to a "parking lamp" that is integral to the H4 reflector. Here is the special bulb holder,

and here it is installed in the back of the headlight, with the mounting ring attached.

This is the H4 headlight and part number:

View of glowing parking light in the headlight, mounted, but without the beauty ring.

And here is the unit, finished with the beauty ring.

And back to driving and pondering that oil leak...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I'm officially out of ideas on the oil leak, I'll just live with it. That discussion is over on the original thread for this truck:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552034

This engine should, for historical purposes, be replaced with a proper 1600 commercial setup like the bus had at its manufacture. Like this one:

And I have my eye on just such an engine...

One thing has me really puzzled, however. In that photo, from the owner of a '76 VW double cab acquired in Germany (same vintage engine), the air cleaner is mounted on the arm that I have always associated with Type IV fuel injection. OK, so it served the European 1600 upright engine, too. The ting is, the Mexican SC has no such arm, and there is no sign that there ever was one. Would some PO have removed it so carefully and completely as to leave no trace?

Or was there a design that did not involve this arm?

While I am at it, in case someone actually knows the answer to these questions, did all Type 2b chassis come with that arm?

Last edited by jtauxe on Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

What about a leak at the case parting lines? That leak could make it look like it’s coming from the bell housing. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a fix for it.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I've decided to keep the discussion of engine issues in this other thread on this truck:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552034
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I am rethinking the possibilities for an engine for this truck.

One path to follow is that of completing the back-to-factory configuration by using a period correct internal combustion engine. That was always the plan.

But now I am thinking... little interest has been shown in the truck, so I may as well consider other possibilities that do not preclude that original path. One is electrification. This is the ideal vehicle for an electric motor, since it has so much room ready for batteries, slung low and between the wheels, and all inside, under the bed. And there could be enough batteries to get reasonable range.

Electrifying its motive power also would not require any modifications to the body aside from perhaps some holes for cabling (or perhaps not, even, since there is a huge open space between the engine and battery compartments.)

This would also give the vehicle a whole new life, since with a gas engine that leaks oil, it will be just another polluter, but with an electric motor it could be so much cleaner. And since I have solar PV on the house, I have the carbon-free electricity to keep it charged.

What's not to like? I'm sure you will tell me!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

Do it!!

You’ve done really nice work on this truck so far; the samba really needs to see some proper electric conversions! I also agree that the DC is the perfect air-cooled platform for conversion.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I was actually talking about the 1975 Mexican single cab, but it would be good on a DC as well.

More reasons to do the SC:

1) Its current engine, although strong, stinks with the carburetors and it leaks oil.

2) The POs ripped out all of the heating system forward of the heat exchangers. I have a jury-rigged system in place that works well, but to fix it properly would be a lot of work (e.g. welding the y-pipe over the rear axle). By going electric, all that work would not be done, replaced by an electric heater, which would be excellent in the small cab.

3) The truck would be returned to useful service, instead of big merely a collector's item. I like to USE the things that I have collected.

And yet, if someone did some day want to return this to stock, it could still be done. I even have all the parts needed to do so.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I like the idea and novelty of electrifying the truck, but how is it not useful as is? You say it runs well and the heat works. Those are two of the main things a driver needs.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

It is quite useful now, and I use it for dump runs and other hauling. Love that 9-foot bed!

But especially as an environmental engineer it pains me to drive a vehicle that emits so much pollution, with the dual Webers and the oil leak. I am quite torn.

Another solution would be to bite the bullet and solve the oil leak and convert the engine to fuel injection. And then to rebuild the heating system. But then it is still an ICE, which is still nasty.

So, electrification would not make it more useful, per se, but it would make it clean, at least. I feel bad driving this stinkpot around.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I like the idea of doing an electric conversion on the SC. It could be a really great vehicle.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
It is quite useful now, and I use it for dump runs and other hauling. Love that 9-foot bed!

But especially as an environmental engineer it pains me to drive a vehicle that emits so much pollution, with the dual Webers and the oil leak. I am quite torn.

Another solution would be to bite the bullet and solve the oil leak and convert the engine to fuel injection. And then to rebuild the heating system. But then it is still an ICE, which is still nasty.

So, electrification would not make it more useful, per se, but it would make it clean, at least. I feel bad driving this stinkpot around.

That's fair I suppose. Not sure how much greener overall you will be with all the batteries and copper and such, but it will definitely not pollute while driving. And solar charging would be very cool.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I see you have it up for sale John.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I do, but there has been little interest.

So I am thinking of alternative dispositions. I had grown so frustrated with the engine that I was "done with it", but it is such a great vehicle that I am rethinking. I could have the engine issues looked into by, for example Painter's Grinding in Denver, but then I thought that for some unknown amount of more $ I could go electric.

And as far as collector value goes, either continuing with the Type IV engine (which is not factory correct) or electric has the same outcome: If someone wants to return it back to factory configuration, either of those alternatives would have to be (and could be) "undone", and there would be no alteration to the original vehicle. Actually, there would be a bit of alteration in going with the ICE since it would need the arm support for the air cleaner, which is not there now. There is no sign that it was ever there, either, which is an enigma.

So, if someone wants to buy it, it is still for sale. Meanwhile, I am thinking of other possibilities, and am trying on the idea of electric. I have made no commitments either way. Maybe someone else would like to buy it and go electric, even.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The 1975 Single Cab that VW Germany built for VW Mexico Reply with quote

I had one more idea that might explain an oil leak. When I replaced the flywheel and clutch pressure plate, I missed a step in not getting the pair balanced. So, one more engine pull, and I got those parts balanced by Painter's Grinding in Denver.

While the engine was out (there is always a "while the engine was out" moment) I replaced the starter as the old one had a sticky solenoid. I also cleaned the whole thing, since a nice clean engine is nice to have. Also replaced the main seal and o-ring, and used new 5-hole washer and self-locking bolts.

And... drum roll, please... no joy. It still leaks, though maybe not as much.

But it runs so beautifully!

And of course I've been thinking about electrification more. To be honest, I'm not sure I'm up to the challenge. I know nothing about the technology except that if you don't get it put together just right, very bad things can happen. That's intimidating. I'm not sure I have it in me.

What I would really like is for someone to take on stewardship of this beast and electrify it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: